V5 5500 will it do DVD movies ok?

Jarablue

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was just wondering if I need a decoder card with the V5 5500 or will my system be able to handle it thru software. I have:
P3 550e@733
128 meg pc133 cas2 crucial ram
SBlive
I heard that the V5 5500 is crappy for dvd but wasn't sure. Any replies are appreciated. Thank you.

In the immortal word's of Bob Marley, "Let's get together and feel alllright..."

G

Well the V5 isn't great with DVD but it will play it. I forget the name of the "hardware assist" feature built into most recent cards to help with DVD playback, but the V5 doesn't have it. The same is true of my old TNT2 Ultra, but I've watched MPEG clips with it and they turned out good enough for me.

If you are serious about watching lots of DVD movies on a V5, you probably would want to get a decoder card. My advice is to try it first without and see what you think.

Jarablue

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
When you say "it will play it" do you mean no stuttering? all I want is a smooth picture. How much do decoder cards run and what ones are good?

In the immortal word's of Bob Marley, "Let's get together and feel alllright..."

G

A Geforce-based card would provide a little boost, and an ATI would help nicely, but the prime thing is the cpu. Decoder cards can boost framerate, but sometimes at the expense of image quality. The good news is that your o/c p3 should have the teeth to handle it, even without help from your voodoo.

BTW, had k6-2@400 and geforce256 and it was 'almost' smooth. My Duron seems to run them effortlessly, even when it amuses me to run it at the 600 mHz its labled at.

Tom Mc

Even a fool, when he remains silent, appears wise.