v5 @ $99, RDN 32 DDR @ $75, or G2 gts 32 ddr $131?

moods

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2001
I'm looking for a moderate video upgrade to my system. I play mostly UT with some NFS, B&W, and others thrown in. I don't really care about upcoming games since I'll do a full upgrade next year anyway.

What I'm looking for is a card that will do UT at 1024x768 in 16bit with a minimum of 35 fps. I don't want the system to drop below 35!

Which card will give me the best bang for the buck? At this point I think the V5 will be the best option due to the fact that 3dfx cards play UT so well. However I've heard good things from radeon owners, but the only benchmarks I can find are on drivers that are 6 months old. Then of coarse there is the Geforce 2 gts which seems to be the standard.

I'm a little stuck trying to find the best solution, and I was wondering if I could get a little help.

Here's my current setup:

Athlon 600
256 megs of ram
voodoo 3000 @ 175.

The system does ok right now, but when I get in a large firefight (ctf with 20 players) it slows to a crawl. That's what I want to avoid.

Thanks.

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
I just purchased a Radeon 32DDR LE for 88 (that includes the shipping and handling.) Cant beat the price performance there.

Where did you find a GTS at $131?

<i>If you take a truth and follow it blindly, it will become a Falsehood and you a Fanatic.</i>

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Never mind I see it on pricewatch.

Either one will do you right, but just dont go for the V5, it's dead.

<i>If you take a truth and follow it blindly, it will become a Falsehood and you a Fanatic.</i>

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The GTS would probably have a little better performance, but your best deal is probably the Radeon.

From now on when someone asks you how fast your computer is, tell them your benchmark scores.