V8 Cooler equivilants or better?

x Heavy

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
I have read here and there on the forums that the V8 Cooler may not be sufficient. I use it on a i7 2600K CPU with several fans directed at it and away from it.

Is there a CPU Cooler that will have more Copper mass and be able to consider itself a Top Shelf gadget to install into a machine? I used to use the old Volcano's and the Zalmans for many years with great success.

I am happy with my V8 now, but have doubts when it's game time. We will find out if it lives or dies and would hate to be caught with a unit that wont stand up to the heat.

Advice anyone?

x Heavy

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Thank you for the replies.

I am going to need to carefully examine the H100's huge radiator. I am pretty sure I can weld it onto the top crossbracing under the HAF X big 200 mm fans up top.

Looks like this will be one for the books.

To the other poster, the Zalman is still running strong, when this old system dies that Zalman will be transferred to other cooling duty.

x Heavy

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Wanted to update my experience with the Cooler Master V8.

First off, the 4 hex screws at the top plastic plate comes off easily enough. However there are two tabs in the center of the 120mm fan and then two screws holding the 120 mm fan's bottom holes at the base of the cooler making for some very interesting tooling to get em out and in.

Anyway I got it out. The Fan. I think it comes out to 120mm x 25 mm because the big Ultra Kaze does not fit at 39 mm wide. I dropped a Excalibur into it and replaced the back 140mm factory HAF X fan with the Ultra Kaze. (Kaxe is a monster, but not nearly as monstrous as the Delta Server series... I also discovered that the big fans require big power... maybe too much from the mobo. So I hooked behind the mobo into one of the molex. More power= big plug and save the headaches of losing the mobo.

Enough blabbing. The Bios Monitor from MSI in it's second version reported about a 42C idle before the work was done when overclocked at 4.2 Sometimes 46C

With the Excalibur fan inside the cooler and the Kaze dumping the heat out of the back (And appears to be starving the top two 200mm FANS...) the temp of the CPU at idle appears to hold at 38C but occasionally gets down to the 36 or so. That is about 96-100 degrees F in a room that is kept at 75 degrees F.

The Cooler is aluminum. Aluminum will not transfer the same heat as Copper will. I will go ahead and replace it with the biggest (All copper by weight) Zalman I can find. I already have one running this system (It's third tour of duty) and I will hope that the Zalman will be able to dump more heat from the CPU.

Getting into mass of metals and physics, I sometimes wonder when battle is underway online and everything is hot, which will "Store" the greatest amount of heat to be dispersed? Copper or Aluminum?

I suppose in the spirit of being a Hobby Builder for gaming computers, I will probably experiment with the H100 and install some deltas onto the radiator push/pull fashion and see if I can cool it down to 30.

However, somewhere between 100 degrees being removed from the CPU and the 75-80 or so room temperature there has to be a sort of event horizon where no more heat will be removed without transitioning to water or nitrogen like cooling.

A word of warning.

When handling the big Kaze class fans 2500-6000 RPM type, you need not to have it running. One blade will take a fingertip just about off. (That was where a fingernail came in for me, saving that tip.)

The more I "Play" with the various air cooling options availible to me with the Haf X, the more I appreciate the case design.

The old Antec 900's and 902's are nice but with so many fans gather dust quickly. One delta would be sufficient to dump whatever those boxes generate.