From: larrymoencurly (larrymoencurly@my-deja.com)
Subject: VA-503+ won't recognize D-Link network card
Original Format
Newsgroups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic,
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Date: 2004-05-20 01:42:41 PST

What's been your luck in getting the D-Link DWL-G510 wireless PCI
netwoerk card to work in an FIC VA-503+ and Windows?

I couldn't get Windows to recognize the card, no matter how I
installed or uninstalled the driver software, what PCI slot I used
(other slots empty, how I configured the BIOS, or what VIA 4-in-1
driver software I installed -- but only with the VA-503+. With every
other mobo I have, new and old, the D-Link card installs fine,
including in the FIC PA-2007, which is older than their VA-503+.

If you were able to make this NIC work in your VA-503+, how did you do
it?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

brkeith@yahoo.com (Bruce Keith) wrote in message news:<90825186.0410150416.1cc975c@posting.google.com>...

> Has anyone resolved this issue? The only solution I can come up with
> is buy a USB card instead.

I also had no luck with 440BX and 810i mobos, and the same happend
when I tried a Belkin PCI wireless card. I've been told that this
could have to do with these mobos supporting only PCI standard 2.1
rather than 2.2.

www.salescircular.com lists deals at local stores and has a catagory
just for network products. But they often leave out Fry's
Electronics, which often has great deals, including unadvertised ones
for networking.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Try freeing some sys resources by disabling, com ports and or lpt you don't
use.
This board is not susposed to work with agp and 1st pci used (first slot
next to agp).

And do not try to out smart the windows by using cr*py 4in1, (man, they have
issues).
Whell these are the gudelines I have to apply with my va 503+.

"edi" <krarti@net4u.hr> wrote in message news:<ckr8qc$m6b$1@brown.net4u.hr>...

> Try freeing some sys resources by disabling, com ports and or
> lpt you don't use. This board is not susposed to work with agp
> and 1st pci used (first slot next to agp).
>
> And do not try to out smart the windows by using cr*py 4in1,
> (man, they have issues). Whell these are the gudelines I
> have to apply with my va 503+.

I had every card out of the system, except for the wireless NIC and
the video, and while I didn't disable the LPT, I did turn off the COM,
onboard USB, and IRQ for the graphics card. I also tried different
types of AGP cards (TNT2, Intel 740i), even a PCI Diamond Stealth
2000, and telling the BIOS to reset the configuration.

I've had strange problems with 4-in-1 drivers, but I don't think that
they prevented the wireless NIC from being recognized because the
other mobos were based on Intel chipsets and used Intel drivers.

The only other mobo that was so troublesome for me was the ECS K7VTA3,
also based on a VIA chipset. It kept locking up during DVD burns, and
trying five different versions of the 4-in-1 drivers didn't help, only
raising the priority of the burner program did. My SiS-based mobos
burned fine even at lower priority.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

If the card says it's a PCI 2.2 that could be it. To be shure, setup your
comp. just to work and boot to windows. With just VGA, IDE, keyboard/mouse,
nosound. Disable and pull out of the board evrything unnecesary, remember to
properly maintain BIOS settings so there are no known conflicting config
settings (if you leave BOIS to handle the situations where is no certan
resolution for the conflict in hardware, the thing is that only newer boards
(letsay 2000<) are able to perform proper hardware autoconfig handling on
BIOS levels). Then boot windows so it configs itself. Turnoff win. Conect
the adapter and boot win again. At this point everything should still work
and we sholud have a 'New Hardware..' popped if P'N'P works right. Sometime
after device is P'N, just wont fuc*in' 'P! . But if the adapter is
incompatible than thats the end of the story, witch should be commented with
apropriate BIOS error code by the systems 'bi-os' or the adapters 'bi-os'.

The main issue 4in1 gave me was that it messes up Windows so that Win is
unable to
maintain proper IRQ and DMA hanling for some BIOS resources like PCI and
ISA, and has issues with IDE ATA channels.
But everything is fine if you leave Windows original config by not applying
4in1. Then Windows sucessfuly handles lack of free BIOS resources.
Unfortunatly there is no known 4in1 uninstaller to me, so to revert the
situation windows reinstall should be apllied.

For example this is what happend to me. My Win would 'drop' IDE devices
after apply of 4in1. And it looked like the board is unable to handle to
many devices. But after time doing clean Win installs my system was able to
handle firs IDE channel with two master ATAPI devices and one master IDE
device driven by PCI Ultra ATA 100 controler and some other PCI and ISA
cards, com ports also, LPT. . ..
But after 4in1 install I would loose one ATAPI device handled by onboard IDE
controler.
So if you dont really need else than AGP from 4in1, dont instal .inf and IDE
sections in 4in1 setup.

In addition to some VA503+ hangs.There were problems with PCI IDE controlers
and enabled onboard IDE controler's channels.

[...]

..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

I tried the same DWL-G510 in an old IBM Aptiva Pentium 200, and it
worked fine - so I suspect it is a problem related to the VA503+. The
Aptiva wouldn't be PCI 2.2 would it?

Bruce

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

No, a computer as old as a Pentium 200 would only be PCI 2.1.

--Alex

brucester4@gmail.com wrote:
> I tried the same DWL-G510 in an old IBM Aptiva Pentium 200, and it
> worked fine - so I suspect it is a problem related to the VA503+. The
> Aptiva wouldn't be PCI 2.2 would it?
>
> Bruce

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

You might try looking at your BIOS settings. Sometimes certain VA503+ BIOS
settings cause problems. I can't remember which ones off-hand but if you email
me I'll try to get them to you.

>I tried the same DWL-G510 in an old IBM Aptiva Pentium 200, and it
>worked fine - so I suspect it is a problem related to the VA503+. The
>Aptiva wouldn't be PCI 2.2 would it?
>
>Bruce

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

hELLO ALL

Had the same problem with my DFI PA61 mobo and the D link DWL g510
card. The mobo wouldn't recognize the card. The DFI mobo has a VIA
chipset. Switched the mobo out with a Giga-Byte ga 6bxe. It has an
Intel chipset. The D-Link works like a champ!!! Make sure to follow
thier installation instructions to the letter and it should work.

SYOTF

D..