Question VA vs IPS - 1440p - 27" - Not sure what to get

Looking for a 1440p, 27" monitor for gaming. I DO NOT want anything curved tighter than 1500R.
Budget: Seems like $350 ought to be sufficient.
I like the black levels VA affords since I prefer to game in near-darkness..

Ok.....I currently have a Samsung C27HG70, which is arguably STILL the gold standard for VA panels that nobody can seem to even match 5 years later. Unfortunately, my monitor is exhibiting the same panel corruption failure that sooo many have experienced. Lasted 4 years I guess.....

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/chg70
tables-max-small.jpg

Current crop of VA panels all seem to have terrible G2G response times and/or bad overshoot. Apparently whatever magic sauce Samsung put in the CHG70 series has been abandoned (perhaps because of the high/rapid failure rates it produced?).
My brother recently bought an Asus VG27WQ and is having deal-breaking issues with ghosting and such. RMA'd once and the issue is still there. Now it's out for RMA again.

I'm starting to think I was spoiled with my CHG70 and have a biased view of the state/experience of VA panels and that I may need to sacrifice those nice blacks in exchange for an IPS panel? Currently looking at the Gigabyte M27Q-Pro for $260 which has an LG super speed nano IPS panel (similar to the GP850 it seems).

Looking for recommendations or opinions on any of my talking points.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Which version? There's a M27q, M27q P and M27q X. All have different specs like panel refresh. The Q is the older, budget model, the M27q P is the successor, same specs but better LG panel than the original Sharp panel. The X version moves from 170Hz to 240Hz.
View: https://youtu.be/Zjr7VGjnweo

View: https://youtu.be/dDPq0uHNTyo

From the tech specs, the one you linked is a M27q P dunno why newegg listed it as a Pro...

Last edited:
I feel like I need to do this test again, but I was drawn to a VA panel for the higher contrast ratio, but when I put it side by side the IPS monitor it was replacing in my typical lighting conditions, I didn't really see much of a difference. At least not a significant one. I still kept the VA panel monitor though.

While it's not really a fix, the perception of lower contrast from an IPS panel can be mitigated by not viewing it in a dark room with no lights, either by having a light on or using LED strips around the monitor. Since I like some light in my room, that's probably why I didn't see much of a difference between the VA and IPS monitor.

Asus VG27WQ and is having deal-breaking issues with ghosting and such. RMA'd once and the issue is still there. Now it's out for RMA again.
This display does have limitations with fast motion in dark scenes, RMA'ing won't help unless changing it for a different model.

I'm starting to think I was spoiled with my CHG70 and have a biased view of the state/experience of VA panels and that I may need to sacrifice those nice blacks in exchange for an IPS panel? Currently looking at the Gigabyte M27Q-Pro for $260 which has an LG super speed nano IPS panel (similar to the GP850 it seems).
As @hotaru.hino says I think your more likely to notice the lower contrast in a darkened room, you'll notice ghosting and motion blur in all light levels. I'm biased in favour IPS, but if your buying a fast gaming monitor that's what I would get personally. The trade off in black levels does also get you better colour accuracy and viewing angles.

The LG GP850 would have been the monitor that I would recommend but I can't see it for sale anywhere. If your at all interested in 32", there is this:
https://www.amazon.com/LG-32GP750-B-Ultragear-Compatible-Adjustable/dp/B09WXX42ZS/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1186WH4TITLND&keywords=lg+144hz+1440p&qid=1662137042&sprefix=lg+144hz+1440p+,aps,161&sr=8-6

If you do encounter ghosting with a monitor, it's worth checking the different overdrive settings. They can be particularly problematic if you have a high overdrive setting while playing games at 60hz.

My current contenders are:
Gigabyte M27Q-P (IPS) - Got the LG Nano SS IPS panel, would like the OSD joystick to be placed a bit lower, and not excited about having pay for the KVM functionality.
Viewsonic XG270QC (VA) - Seems to be one of the best/better VA panels out there at the moment. Still has VA ghosting, but hopefully minimal. (good) reviews are scarce.

Ideally Samsung would release a 1440p 27" QD-OLED with 1800R curvature before the end of 2022 for <$500, but it's sounding like they're not planning any other QD-OLED panels until sometime in 2023. Even then, I'm not optimistic on cost.

Last edited:
Do you mean Lenovo or ViewSonic?

I have a preference for IPS myself, that's what I have most experience with. However the XG270QC did get a very good review from Tomshardware, it does sound right up your street:

'Though only rated for DisplayHDR 400, the ViewSonic XG270QC tops 607 nits in our test. The best part is its dynamic contrast feature which is automatically enabled in HDR mode. It delivers a super low black level of just 0.0263 nit and a superb contrast ratio of 23,055.1:1. It doesn’t get much better than that'

'Our ViewSonic XG270QC excelled in the black field uniformity test. It doesn’t get much lower than 4.29% in our database. Bleed and glow are completely non-existent.'

'The ViewSonic Elite XG270QC represents one of the best values we’ve seen of late. It delivers a superb gaming experience and provides a great SDR or HDR image for any content. Whether you’re grinding away at spreadsheets, watching movies or fragging with your friends, this monitor's highly recommended'

My two cents would be get it from Newegg or Amazon, somewhere that's easy to return, try it, if it's a disaster then lessons learned for next time.