[SOLVED] Vacuumed my motherboard.

ryan_son4

Commendable
Apr 1, 2018
Hello!! I vacuumed my motherboard without knowing that it can cause static discharge. I turned it on and connected my monitor, keyboard, mouse, and etc but nothing turns on. However, when I check, the motherboard light is on, my intake led is on, and the cpu fan is working. I have no idea what is happening and if anyone can help, it’ll be appreciated.

Build:
motherboard- ASUS B350
CPU- AMD Ryzen 5 2400g with integrated graphics (vega 11)
RAM- hyper x 2x 8gb
power supply- EVGA 600 watts

Solution
Hello!! I vacuumed my motherboard without knowing that it can cause static discharge. I turned it on and connected my monitor, keyboard, mouse, and etc but nothing turns on. However, when I check, the motherboard light is on, my intake led is on, and the cpu fan is working. I have no idea what is happening and if anyone can help, it’ll be appreciated.

Build:
motherboard- ASUS B350
RAM- hyper x 2x 8gb
Try resetting the CMOS and insure that all cables are connected and parts are fully inserted.
In the future, use compressed air and only vac with a plastic tip around hard drives and the case fans -- places without electrical components.

RealBeast

Titan

Build:
motherboard- ASUS B350
RAM- hyper x 2x 8gb
Try resetting the CMOS and insure that all cables are connected and parts are fully inserted.
In the future, use compressed air and only vac with a plastic tip around hard drives and the case fans -- places without electrical components.

Solution

ryan_son4

Commendable
Apr 1, 2018

Sorry I am a complete noob. What is CMOS? My screen is black and it won’t show anything even though I connected HDMI. Keyboard/mouse lights won’t turn on either.

Jun 26, 2020
Went to a friends house, cracked open his PC to discover it was loaded with dust. I recommend canned air, guy says he doesn't have any but he does have a vacuum. Suggested it wasn't the wisest idea, but it was his computer and he was adamant in going through with it. So we carefully vacuum around the components but not directly on the board itself. When it came time to plugging it back in and powering it on, we got no response from the power button. Ended up leaving after a few hours of troubleshooting only to find out a few days later at school that the entire board & CPU was totaled.

Last edited: