Question Vague problems, motherboard defective?

Verdi

Commendable
Apr 9, 2020
Hello,

A few months ago I built a new PC, there have been weird issues from the start, but they seem to be getting worse:
Sometimes the PC will shut down or the network adapter will no longer work when I remove a USB device. (Gamepad mostly)
USB devices will stop working , network will disconnect or the BIOS will be reset (Some or all settings) after the power has been completely off. (Unplugged)
And I'm pretty sure it destroyed my Xbox wireless adapter after a power cycle. (Was working fine, disconnected power once and it never worked again, not even on another system)
I also have unexplainable latency spikes that persist even when disabling the usual suspects (network adapters, audio devices, usb stuff)
The latency spikes cause audio drop outs in games, and sometimes make my mouse cursor stutter, latencymon says 7000+ microseconds.

Mostly it will work fine (except the latency spikes) after unplugging/replugging the USB devices and/or restarting the system, but powering down usually causes all sorts of issues. I suspected the CMOS battery, but I have left it unplugged for a few days and all the Bios settings remained intact, while just a short power-off can cause problems to occur.

I've tried bios and driver updates , fresh windows install, different power supply, different gpu, different RAM, different usb peripherals and checked if the motherboard is touching the case. (It has a backplate, so seems unlikekely)
I'm at my wits end, only thing I can think of is a defective motherboard.

System consists of : MSI z590 Godlike motherboard, 11900kf , rtx4090 rog strix , Seasonic PX1600 power supply, 4x8 corsair vengeance ddr4 3600c16 RAM and Samsung 980 and 970 SSD's.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Were all drivers installed manually in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Which BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? As for your OS, can you state where you sourced the installer for the OS? Did you replace the CMOS battery with a fresh cell? Do you get a mild tingling sensation when you touch the metal part of your case while your feet are making contact with a non-carpeted, non-wooden, tiled floor? If that does happen, then you might very well be having a grounding issue.

Make and model of your gamepad?

Verdi

Commendable
Apr 9, 2020
Thanks for your reply!

-I did not run the drivers as administrator, could that help?
(I have to admit I've never done this and never experienced problems on other systems)

-Tried various Bios versions, made no difference, currently on the latest.

-My windows install is from the microsoft "create bootable usb device" website with an official store bought Windows 11 home retail code.

-Did not replace the cmos battery. (Figured it was good as it's only a few months old and kept its settings after prolonged power-off)

-The PC is properly grounded in a grounded wall outlet, no tingling.

-The Gamepads are a Razer Wolverine Ultimate and several Microsoft Xbox controllers.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS