[SOLVED] Vaio laptop won't boot after replacing screen

May 25, 2020
Hello. This has been bothering me for over a week.

BREIF HISTORY

A few months ago, I put the used (but new to me for 2 months) vaio laptop (SVE141D11L) in our Kia Sorento "trunk" where it stayed for over a week. During that time, my daughters used the car and put a heavy thing on top of it, and later, come to find out, a tiny rock found its way between the bezel and the screen (bottom right area) and the screen fractured, radiating from this breaking point. The screen illuminated but it just had a bunch of colorful lines, similar to those fake broken screen images out there.

I didn't have the money at the time, to buy a replacement screen. It had been sitting in my office for 3 months, until a few weeks ago, when I finally ordered the (correct) part from Amazon. [not a touch screen]

I replaced the screen, put it back together. Plugged it in, the battery charging indicator illuminated, and I hit the power button. The power indicator LED turned on, and so did the other 3 near the power button (1, A, I) [num lock, caps lock, double arrow up down].
I heard the optical engage, and a soft beep from the HDD, then all 4 LEDs turned off, and remained off.

I pressed power again, and this time, it was the same thing, but they turned back on and off in an endless loop. Sometimes the screen flickered between black, and fake black... but this was the beginning of the next 4 hours of failure. I researched and tried almost anything I could do with a screwdriver.

I would like to list everything that I have tried, but I may not remember everything. There mere fact of typing it out is already getting me down. But I must, lest I waste your time with stuff I already did.

Important... between every step listed below, I tried to power it on with the same results.

Charged battery for 15 min
Removed all external peripherals (usb dongle)
Power with only battery, no power cable (aka, 1/2 of the power trick)
Heard optic drive spin up, and spin down, heard hard drive faint beep
Tried the reverse (note, LED on power brick illuminates) [other half of power trick]
Removed CMOS battery for 1 min
Removed CMOS battery for 5 mins
Removed CMOS battery for 15 mins
Removed CMOS battery for 1 hour
Did the battery/cable maneuver
Removed optic drive, (optic spin no longer heard, obviously)
From this point, only used power cable
-- (start RAM trick)
Removed both sticks of ram
Swapped Ram placement
Put one ram back
Moved it to slot 2
Put 2nd ram in slot 1, non in slot 2
Put 2nd ram is slot 2, none in slot 1
--(end RAM trick)
Removed HDD, no more faint beep
Re-seated screen.
Re-seated ribbon cable to power daughter board
Removed NIC
(Un screwed power daughther board, and used finger to attempt to turn it on, but when I let go, it just dropped power all together, so I put it back)
Did ram trick with power trick - trying to get beep codes, SOMETHING ya know? Nada.
Put HDD back (remember, no NIC installed)
Played musical chairs with the NIC, HDD, OPTICAL, RAM, in different combinations and orders. Think binary respectively here... 0001, 0010, 0011, 0010, 0100, 0101, 0110, 0111, 1000, 1001, 1010, 1011, 1100, 1101, 1110, 1111

YES, I TRIED EACH OF THOSE CONFIGURATIONS.

Thank you for your time, if I can't get it working , at least I was able to get it out of my system.

- david
aka RedMatrix

EDIT: I have tried to boot without the screen, and still no dice.

Last edited:
Solution
did you remove the LCD cable from the motherboard when you tested without the new screen. Or did you just remove the LCD from the LCD cable connector. Try removing the LCD cable competely from the mobo

Another thing you can try is to remove all connectors, remove the motherboard and put into non conductive table, just keep the fan / heatsink connected and power in cable (if its not soldered to motherboard), remove cmos battery and plugin external monitor hdmi / vga. Now when your absolutely certain Every connector is removed including power button cables etc and nothing is shorted plugin power cable it should boot without pressing power button since cmos battery is removed. If it works now then some other component was shorted and you...
Hello. This has been bothering me for over a week.

BREIF HISTORY

A few months ago, I put the used (but new to me for 2 months) vaio laptop (SVE141D11L) in our Kia Sorento "trunk" where it stayed for over a week. During that time, my daughters used the car and put a heavy thing on top of it, and later, come to find out, a tiny rock found its way between the bezel and the screen (bottom right area) and the screen fractured, radiating from this breaking point. The screen illuminated but it just had a bunch of colorful lines, similar to those fake broken screen images out there.

I didn't have the money at the time, to buy a replacement screen. It had been sitting in my office for 3 months, until a few weeks ago, when I finally ordered the (correct) part from Amazon. [not a touch screen]

I replaced the screen, put it back together. Plugged it in, the battery charging indicator illuminated, and I hit the power button. The power indicator LED turned on, and so did the other 3 near the power button (1, A, I) [num lock, caps lock, double arrow up down].
I heard the optical engage, and a soft beep from the HDD, then all 4 LEDs turned off, and remained off.

I pressed power again, and this time, it was the same thing, but they turned back on and off in an endless loop. Sometimes the screen flickered between black, and fake black... but this was the beginning of the next 4 hours of failure. I researched and tried almost anything I could do with a screwdriver.

I would like to list everything that I have tried, but I may not remember everything. There mere fact of typing it out is already getting me down. But I must, lest I waste your time with stuff I already did.

Important... between every step listed below, I tried to power it on with the same results.

Charged battery for 15 min
Removed all external peripherals (usb dongle)
Power with only battery, no power cable (aka, 1/2 of the power trick)
Heard optic drive spin up, and spin down, heard hard drive faint beep
Tried the reverse (note, LED on power brick illuminates) [other half of power trick]
Removed CMOS battery for 1 min
Removed CMOS battery for 5 mins
Removed CMOS battery for 15 mins
Removed CMOS battery for 1 hour
Did the battery/cable maneuver
Removed optic drive, (optic spin no longer heard, obviously)
From this point, only used power cable
-- (start RAM trick)
Removed both sticks of ram
Swapped Ram placement
Put one ram back
Moved it to slot 2
Put 2nd ram in slot 1, non in slot 2
Put 2nd ram is slot 2, none in slot 1
--(end RAM trick)
Removed HDD, no more faint beep
Re-seated screen.
Re-seated ribbon cable to power daughter board
Removed NIC
(Un screwed power daughther board, and used finger to attempt to turn it on, but when I let go, it just dropped power all together, so I put it back)
Did ram trick with power trick - trying to get beep codes, SOMETHING ya know? Nada.
Put HDD back (remember, no NIC installed)
Played musical chairs with the NIC, HDD, OPTICAL, RAM, in different combinations and orders. Think binary respectively here... 0001, 0010, 0011, 0010, 0100, 0101, 0110, 0111, 1000, 1001, 1010, 1011, 1100, 1101, 1110, 1111

YES, I TRIED EACH OF THOSE CONFIGURATIONS.

Thank you for your time, if I can't get it working , at least I was able to get it out of my system.

- david
aka RedMatrix
Have you tried to power the laptop on without the screen plugged in?

did you remove the LCD cable from the motherboard when you tested without the new screen. Or did you just remove the LCD from the LCD cable connector. Try removing the LCD cable competely from the mobo

Another thing you can try is to remove all connectors, remove the motherboard and put into non conductive table, just keep the fan / heatsink connected and power in cable (if its not soldered to motherboard), remove cmos battery and plugin external monitor hdmi / vga. Now when your absolutely certain Every connector is removed including power button cables etc and nothing is shorted plugin power cable it should boot without pressing power button since cmos battery is removed. If it works now then some other component was shorted and you need to figure out what.

Solution