robyknoby

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
My dughters viao crashed and would not reboot. It has xp home loaded.
She had no back-up discs to reload.
I loaded ubuntu into the computer. It works and looks great.
Now the problem is, when I bring up the computer, it gives me the choice
of ubuntu or windows. When I choose windows it takes me to factory
restore and says part 1 and 2 of restore and it will shut down and restart and finish part 3 and 4. Problem is, it restarts in umbutu, because that is the first choice on the startup menu.
Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

Solution

Go back into Ubuntu and amend Grub to remove the Windows option - seek out a file called menu.lst, probably in etc. Stay with Ubuntu long enough to get all your daughter's files out of...

Go back into Ubuntu and amend Grub to remove the Windows option - seek out a file called menu.lst, probably in etc. Stay with Ubuntu long enough to get all your daughter's files out of Windows and into the Linux Partition or to flash drives then you can safely let the Vaio Recovery take over but be warned, it will destructively take the system back to factory defaults.

Solution

pottzie

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Best bet with Ubuntu is to check in with the Ubuntu forum. They respond quicker than any forum that I know of!
As to the menu.lst file, Ubuntu now uses grub2, and I think that menu.lst isn't part of the new set up.

Thanks for that - I use PCLinuxOS mostly so my Ubuntu knowhow is a bit out of date. As the OP hasn't come back, they've probably fixed this by now.[/#000ff]

robyknoby

Distinguished
May 31, 2010

It worked just like you said.
Thanks a lot.

TRENDING THREADS