Vaio problems. Please help.

vetski179

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2001
Machine is pcg-z505sx
1. Lost BIOS password. What do I do?
2. I need to uninstall Windows ME. Uninstaller won't work. What now? Reformat hard drive? I have the Sony app & sys recovery discs, but no owners manual.
3. Memory recognition. I bought a bigger memory module. Or it was SUPPOSED to be bigger. It was, in physical size anyway. Installed the module, re-assem & re-started. Computer says I have the same mem as before. Must I make a BIOS change for the machine to see the additional memory? I'm screwed there! (see question 1)
Thanks for any help-Scott

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
1. If there is a CMOS jumper, you can take it out for 5 secoonds, then put it back. It puts all settings back to default in the BIS. Or you can take out the motherboard battery for 5-10 seconds and put it back. It does the same thing as the CMOS jumper

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
2. Yes you can just reformat the hard drive so that everything will be erased, including your OS.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
3. Are you sure you are using the right memory type?? (I think its SODIMM for notebooks) You should also try using a 'Sony Viao' recommended RAM. Try going to Crucial.com and choose the making/model of your notebook, and it should give you the right type of memory.