Vaio startup issues

Sivret20

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
I'm currently typing this from my phone because my Vaio model VPCEH15FX will not start. I did a hard shut down after the computer stopped responding, and now I can't do anything. Turning the computer on regularly results in a "Disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" message in white letters against a black background. Hitting "Assist" or tapping F10 at start up worked at first, but now just brings me to a black screen with a moveable mouse cursor but nothing to click on. HELP.

The symptoms are consistent with a failing hard drive, though you can confirm this with a diagnostic test.

You'll need a different PC with a CD burner to create this: go here

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

and use disk burning software to burn the .iso image to disk with the option "burn image to disk" then put that CD in the Vaio's drive and boot it. This will let you run a test on the hard drive. YOU may need to replace the hard drive, which means you'll also have to re-install Windows and all your software on the new drive.

Sivret20

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

I booted the computer up with SeaTools and under Selected Drive Information it says "No Hard Drives Found. If you believe this to be incorrect, check cables, drive power connection and jumper settings. And then try again." And under Test Information and Results it says "Scanning for controllers...No controllers detected. Device Scan complete." This all started after I slammed my laptop shut, so maybe my hard drive got loose or something so the computer can't even recognize it anymore? Any thoughts?

Hmmm, before we conclude it's definitely a HDD issue, boot into the BIOS (should be F1 or F2 at startup) and look for a setting called "SATA mode" or something like it, and set it to "IDE." Try the SeaTools again (it may have issues with the SATA controller in AHCI mode).

Sivret20

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

Hmm I can't find an option for that in the BIOS menu. All I can change are date and time, Intel (R) Virtualization Technology on or off, machine password, boot configuration and boot priority. Nothing to change SATA mode.

Ah, some laptops do have very restricted BIOS settings. Well, I was leaning toward a diagnosis of bad HDD anyway. The drive should be accessible under a cover on the underside of the laptop (with one or two screws holding it down). There should be a bracket holding the drive itself in place. Any SATA 2.5" laptop drive should fit. Your laptop came with a 500G, though you can use a smaller one if you keep relatively little stuff on it or bigger if you choose also.

You'll then need to re-install Windows and all programs. You can download an image of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit here

http://www.shayatik.com/2013/03/download-windows-7-sp1-official-iso-from-digital-river/

Burn to DVD the same way you did the SeaTools image file. The Windows activation key should be on a sticker on the underside of the laptop.

With a fresh copy of Windows you'll need to re-install your other programs and drivers. The drivers should be available on the Sony support website. I'm assuming since this is a newer laptop it didn't include recovery disks (though you might have burned a set yourself)

Sivret20

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

Finally got the hard drive a month later. But now when installing Windows 7 with the product key on my laptop, it says it's invalid. After doing some research, I see that since the key is an OA I can only have it on one product at a time. But the product I have it on is a broken hard drive! How am I supposed to get Windows 7 now?

Also, make certain you've typed in the code correctly - on second thought that error sounds like an incorrectly typed code (assuming you downloaded and installed the correct version that corresponds to that code - for that laptop I believe the online specs indicated Home Premium. the product key sticker should indicate this also). It's happened to me a million times, as it can be easy to mix up a 'B' and an '8' for example.

Sivret20

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

I've put the code in multiple times and it hasn't worked. I'm thinking maybe the problem is that the ISO has SP1 and the activation code isn't...but I feel like the problem is that you can't use an activation key more than once.

The service pack makes no difference to the activation code. The same key should work any number of times on the same system also. Try calling the telephone activation; you'll get a robot first and if that doesn't activate you can speak to a rep (but I've had little trouble activating from the robot in the past).