Value my PC

HyP3r_Galaxy

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014
Hey guys

Wanted to ask your expert opinions on my current PC. I’m on the fence about selling it. I get a bit addicted and I have 2 young kids and full time employment. Maybe it’s time to focus on my priorities a little.

I custom made my rig with the best stuff on the market about 5 years ago now. I’m fully aware it’s a bit old now ect. I went well over the top with liquid cooling. Spent about £700 on it with 4 radiators. 240, 140, 140 and 120 I think radiators in their. It’s connect to my CPU and was connected to my old graphics card (R9 295x2) which I replaced for a 1080ti recently <ModEdit>. Not got a water block for that as of yet

Spent about £4K on it at the time or something

Here’s my spec

PSU:
Corsair Full Modular 1200w AX1200i 80Plus Platinum

Motherboard:
Asus Rampage IV Black Edition S2011

CPU:
Intel Core i7 4960X s2011

GPU:
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Turbo 11G GDDR5 PCI Express Graphics Card

RAM:
Corsair Doninator Platinum 32G DDR3 CMD32GX3M4A2400C10

Harddrive:
2x 250GB SSD
I can buy a new one for larger storage if it improves the sale. Never store anything but a few games so didn’t bother with a big one.
Maybe it’s smart to buy new Hardrives and throw mine

Case:
900D

Maxed out on fans in the case about 12

Display:
BenQ XL2546 240hz 1ms

Cooling: Custom liquid cooling, pump, res, connected to CPU, neat and tidy tubing / cable management

A price with and without the display?

what do you think?

Thank you

<ModEdit>
Language.

Solution
without the display I would estimate being able to sell for probably 1500. can start there with your local listings, then after enough time goes by can start dropping the price a little at a time until somebody gets interested.

Can of course take an OBO on it as well so say you list for 1500 and somebody offers 1300, I would say you can easily take that deal.
The only components that have any significant value to this day are the PSU, GPU, case, and monitor, everything else is outdated or made for an outdated platform with no real upgrade path in the future. This means the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM.

So with this in mind, you have to value those components at a cost the competes with what you can buy now that's current gen that's...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
without the display I would estimate being able to sell for probably 1500. can start there with your local listings, then after enough time goes by can start dropping the price a little at a time until somebody gets interested.

Can of course take an OBO on it as well so say you list for 1500 and somebody offers 1300, I would say you can easily take that deal.
The only components that have any significant value to this day are the PSU, GPU, case, and monitor, everything else is outdated or made for an outdated platform with no real upgrade path in the future. This means the CPU, Motherboard, and RAM.

So with this in mind, you have to value those components at a cost the competes with what you can buy now that's current gen that's obviously better in performance.

I don't know what kind of storage solution you have in there but I assumed something like a 2TB HDD and the potential for a small SSD.

For the fact that it's custom looped as well is what brought my estimated value of it up.

So start with 1500 and go down from there.

With the monitor, I'd value that monitor at like 250. since for the same amount of money that the monitor costs, people have a better option of 144hz 1440p G-sync monitor instead and that would be typically what people would spend their money on.

So with the monitor you could start asking for 1750-1800.

Solution
based on reseal of used parts

Corsair Full Modular 1200w AX1200i 80Plus Platinum = 125$ at best
Asus Rampage IV Black Edition S2011 = 250$
Intel Core i7 4960X s2011 = 250$
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti = 450$
Corsair Doninator Platinum 32G DDR3 CMD32GX3M4A2400C10 = 275$
250GB SSD = 50$/pair.
case 900D = 100$
12 used fan = 20$/12
BenQ XL2546 = 200$

add it up 1,520$ no monitor, 1,720 with monitor

HyP3r_Galaxy

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014
Thanks guys for taking the time to read and support me

Excellent fast reply’s

Your estimations are exactly bang on my own, so I’m pleased with this result that I have a solid second opinion, thank you

I agree that the CPU, motherboard and RAM all need updating

I’m stuck in 2 minds wether to upgrade these and keep playing my games and dividing my attention from my partner or to pull the plug on the whole thing and sell up

I feel I may potentially ruin my current relationship if I carry on, not like it’s a problem right now but I know I’m like with it!
Should probably spend the money on my children than upgrading but it’s my only real hobby that I enjoy and stuff

I’d rather chill at home on my computer than go to a pub and be sociable lol

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I would suggest selling and rebuilding a lesser system that can play games at lower graphic settings and frame rates to make it a more casual experience that you can enjoy from time to time that won't sit there in it's mighty glory just urging you to shirk your responsibilities and play on it.

can put together a moderate cheap system with Ryzen 3 and a 1050ti with a basic old 1080p monitor for about $700.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor (£86.34 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard (£71.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Team - Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£56.59 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.34 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB GAMING X 4G Video Card (£149.98 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£54.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£85.87 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: Dell - SE2417HG 23.6" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor (£89.97 @ Laptops Direct)
Total: £646.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-23 03:15 GMT+0000

However, if you feel your addiction to your hobby is uncontrollable and will inevitably result in your relationship with your partner and you kids going south, then it might be best to just forgo gaming and focus on life until life slows down and you can come back to your hobby.

HyP3r_Galaxy

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014
For me I like the tech like you guys ;) I like the good expensive stuff so, I think it’s all or nothing as I only find a way to spend endless hours on there with little regard for doing anything else. I won’t like a lesser rig, it would frustrate me. When I’m watching a film or something with the partner ect I’m like not satisfied enough because I’d have more fun on the computer. I should be cherishing those times with her. Gaming is just so damn good bro

I’ll give it some thought and time to see if I can control my time on there, but I know I probably can’t. And if I don’t spend much little spare time I have enjoying the computer then what’s the point in having a decent-ish rig in the first place like you said

Thanks for your answers I love you all <3

For me I like the tech like you guys I like the good expensive stuff so, I think it’s all or nothing

1. doubt your anything like me, or you would be fat and wrinkled.
2. been in the IT industry since 1982, and I am not addicted to my hobby/work...
3. I dont need the fastest item in life on my desktop, because I have real life bills, children and a house to take care, WAY BEFORE I do anything related spending to a computer, that is what being an adult and a responsible parent does.

sorry you sound inexperienced and young, and life will in time let you learn all theses lessons.

but good luck.. I really hope you understand this was not in any way a "put down" but a reality check from an elder that experienced a lot of things in life trying to inculcate some insight into yours

again good luck on the change of lifestyle.