Question Valuing PC

May 6, 2019
Hi all,

So I’ve read about valuing your PC through some older threads on here (circa 2017) and I’ve done the suggested by adding the parts in pcpartpicker to get the current prices and to knock off 5-15% to get the value.

When I built the PC I hadn’t really thought it all through and it’s had a total of less than 100 hours of use since I built it in late 2015. As a result it’s time to get shot of it.

I’m a little confused as to how the current price reflects what I bought it for, I.e. I paid (it would appear from the email confirmations) £170 for a GTX 960 and it’s now worth £296.09. I’m guessing that it’s added in a newer model of the same version(?). As a result the components the website is offering surely don’t offer an honest representation of how much they’re worth now?

More than likely making a mistake somewhere here.

Regards,

~A

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
IMO, you best bet on this is to try and locate the parts you are looking to sell on a service along the lines of "the bay" and see what they are actually moving at.
I have sold nearly new parts at up to 50% off just to get them to move. Using things like CL I have even had to go lower. Add a few years to the parts and it can get much worse unless they were absolute top of the line for that time.

JJoner

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
The gtx 960 is worth so much now because they dont make them anymore and on those websites you are probably paying for a new card. On websites like ebay they are going for around $60.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I see, so a £1,000 build in 2015 is probably worth like £250 now? :cautious:

If even that, and it could be more. It's very much according to what's in there and what the market for that particular part is. Most of the time parting a build is your best bet for making top dollar. Often times the case itself is best kept or taken out of the equation unless you can sell the rig local.
I recently sold a server build that was made of some really nice bits and had a very desirable Lian Li case. I basically gave the system away price wise, but the buyer and I agreed for him to pay shipping. That alone was over 1/3 of the purchase price.

May 6, 2019
If even that, and it could be more. It's very much according to what's in there and what the market for that particular part is. Most of the time parting a build is your best bet for making top dollar. Often times the case itself is best kept or taken out of the equation unless you can sell the rig local.
I recently sold a server build that was made of some really nice bits and had a very desirable Lian Li case. I basically gave the system away price wise, but the buyer and I agreed for him to pay shipping. That alone was over 1/3 of the purchase price.

Ah right, well I’ll bear that in mind. I’ll see if someone back home wants to buy it first before I strip it down.