Valve’s Steam Machines, Steam Controller, And Steam Link Now Widely Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

Those images were updated. This is actually an updated image from that article.

polyformist,
What do you mean? These are Steam systems...

Anyway, I'm sure you're talking about things that are fixed in SOFTWARE such as controller support. SteamOS will continue to get updated and prioritize the worst of the issues.

The Steam Controller reviews are pretty luke warm though. I'd use an XBOX controller unless the game really demands the Steam Controller (i.e. it's mouse/keyboard designed).

DrakeFS

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
The Steam Controller reviews are pretty luke warm though. I'd use an XBOX controller unless the game really demands the Steam Controller (i.e. it's mouse/keyboard designed).

XBOne controller vs Steam Controller.... sigh, I need a new wireless controller but I am not sure which would better suit me. I highly doubt I would play M\K games on my TV. Hell I would be happy if nVidia opened up the shield controller to work wirelessly.

beshonk

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
If you want the best device for this + media streaming, get the nvidia shield. It comes with a controller and $30 android play credit, streams any games that have controller support (and those that don't if you use xpadder to map the keyboard keys) and comes with a controller that is much more standard to use at the television.

penn919

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
I almost wish I had a reason to buy one. I want to support the cause, but I don't think it's reason enough. Maybe I should get one as a gift for somebody? Anybody here would like a gift?

penn919

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
I almost wish I had a reason to buy one. I want to support the cause, but I don't think it's reason enough. Maybe I should get one as a gift for somebody? Anybody here would like a gift?

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

XBOne controller vs Steam Controller.... sigh, I need a new wireless controller but I am not sure which would better suit me. I highly doubt I would play M\K games on my TV. Hell I would be happy if nVidia opened up the shield controller to work wirelessly.

I haven't seen any announcement that Microsoft has released the wireless -dongle for the XOne-controller.

DrakeFS

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014

I do own a shield tablet and while it is nice, a HTPC it is not. I was lamenting on how nVidia is not opening the controller up on the PC ecosystem (our at least, release a dongle :p )

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
XBOne controller vs Steam Controller.... sigh, I need a new wireless controller but I am not sure which would better suit me.
The price of the Xbox One Wireless Adapter makes the Xbox One controller quite a bit more expensive, if that matters to you.

I'm tempted by the Steam Controller, as it seems to support both xinput, direct input and its own API (to get access to all its controls) so should be more compatible than the Xbox One controller. I'll wait for more reviews though as I've seen some demos where people seem to be struggling to use it in first person shooters, while others report it working well with practice; not that I expect to supplant keyboard + mouse for competitive FPS games, I'd probably use a controller for solo games like Fallout 4; I'm hoping that competitive FPS' might add support for separating controller and keyboard + mouse player rankings though, as there are a few I'd like to play, but only casually.

Yeah, it's a tricky one; the Logitech F710 (wireless gamepad that looks a lot like a PS3 controller) is around the same price, but seems a bit basic. If the Steam Controller is better at some things then I may opt for it; I actually use a trackball rather than a regular mouse, so I can adapt to more unusual input devices.

Sep 30, 2013
Yeah, the Shield controller while it feel as it have lower quality is really comfortable, only the directional pad/cross is bad on it and possibly it would had been better with user replaceable batteries.

As for XB1 vs Steam controller I guess it's fine to have both, I bought DS4, XB1 and Shield to try out so .. I actually saw one very cool like SNES controller + two analog sticks on .. uhm.. ali ex.. no.. deal extreme I think, it was like around $35 though so expensive for being on such a page but it seemed really nice :)

Anyway, my impression from it all is that the Steam controller is like it was before, some get comfortable with pads some I guess don't prefer them and that setting it up is somewhat fiddly now / likely few profiles, whereas we know the Xbox One controller likely work perfect. So going with that it seem like waiting with the Steam controller and possible if they fix something on it may be the best thing to do. Then again if one want the specific features of it .. The buttons on the back (Guess something like the Xbox One Elite controller will solve that too) and the use of gyros/accelerators as a way to control things in games is nice on the Steam controller.

Seem more like a "hack" tool, something to use for those who want to fiddle around whereas an Xbox controller will just work. Pick whichever fit you best from that description I guess =P

Status
Not open for further replies.