Valve and Blizzard Come to Agreement Over DotA Trademark

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]darkerson[/nom]Give it a rest, already! There are plenty of other games to play until HL:Ep 3 comes out.[/citation]

i don't have that luxury. My life span is short.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]i don't have that luxury. My life span is short.[/citation]
Sounds like a personal problem to me. I know I'm not going to sit around and whine about ONE game, when there are so many others that ARE out and worth playing right NOW. :lol:

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
"DotA, short for Defense of the Ancients, is a mod for Warcraft III that spawned the MOBA genre."

False false false FALSE!

First, what is this 'MOBA' genre? DotA is AoS (Aion of Strife) genre, and the genre was NOT spawed by DotA, it was spawned by the SC1 AoS maps. It was later brought to the WC3 engine and released by multiple authors. Eul then merged multiple content from the various versions and solidified it into DotA. Guinsoo took it up where he left off, then Icefrog after Guinsoo. I'll reiterate once again, there is no such thing as 'MOBA' genre. It is the AoS genre.

The name DotA should now rightfully belong to Icefrog.

Well at least you got the abbreviation 'DotA' correct Toms, I'm seeing a lot of people calling it DOTA, which is incorrect. The first and last letters are capitalized, the middle two are not.

G

In a situation like this, Apple would have sued them till they gave up. Glad these two companies settled the problem like educated gentlemen, not aggressive greedy kids

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]"DotA, short for Defense of the Ancients, is a mod for Warcraft III that spawned the MOBA genre."False false false FALSE!First, what is this 'MOBA' genre? DotA is AoS (Aion of Strife) genre, and the genre was NOT spawed by DotA, it was spawned by the SC1 AoS maps. It was later brought to the WC3 engine and released by multiple authors. Eul then merged multiple content from the various versions and solidified it into DotA. Guinsoo took it up where he left off, then Icefrog after Guinsoo. I'll reiterate once again, there is no such thing as 'MOBA' genre. It is the AoS genre.The name DotA should now rightfully belong to Icefrog.Well at least you got the abbreviation 'DotA' correct Toms, I'm seeing a lot of people calling it DOTA, which is incorrect. The first and last letters are capitalized, the middle two are not.[/citation]

multiplayer online battle arena, google is your friend, there is a wiki entry for the term.

"Multiplayer online battle arena, a term used to describe the action real-time strategy genre."

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Blizzard was doomed from the start when it came to this. They never had the rights to it held events and acted like they did for years. However mods for a game does not give ownership to the original game developer. For example if I make a custom sword in Skyrim, Bethesda would not have ownership of my created materials, nor would they have the right to distribute, profit, or handle it in any form of way. Valve got the rights by hiring the person behind the mod.

Blizzard not only assumed ownership unrightfully but likely even broke laws in the process.

Blizzard will retain non-commercial use of the trademark, meaning that Blizzard will be allowed to continue promoting DotA material with its community. However, since it cannot use the trademark commercially

This was the issue at hand and why Blizzard tried to fight it so hard. Because their constant previous use and even collecting revenue from tournaments that hosted the game. (The tournaments would acquire a license from Blizzard) were all done without legal rights to. What I bet wasn't released publicly is part of the agreement that pardons Blizzard from doing just that before, which is what made Blizzard accept this deal because if they lost in court, Valve could have turned around and sued.

Lesson learned, never assume ownership unless you are the rightful and registered owner of such.

Zero_

Distinguished
Erm Isn't this old news?
http://dota2talk.com/news/blizzard-and-valve-settle-dota-argument-blizzard-dota-is-now-blizzard-all-stars/

THG make your scouts work harder :p

G

Blizzard actually didn't have a choice but to settle for what they got. IF you think about it, Valve has effectively taken the place of Blizzard in the PC gaming world.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Blizzard was doomed from the start when it came to this. They never had the rights to it held events and acted like they did for years. However mods for a game does not give ownership to the original game developer. For example if I make a custom sword in Skyrim, Bethesda would not have ownership of my created materials, nor would they have the right to distribute, profit, or handle it in any form of way. Valve got the rights by hiring the person behind the mod.Blizzard not only assumed ownership unrightfully but likely even broke laws in the process.This was the issue at hand and why Blizzard tried to fight it so hard. Because their constant previous use and even collecting revenue from tournaments that hosted the game. (The tournaments would acquire a license from Blizzard) were all done without legal rights to. What I bet wasn't released publicly is part of the agreement that pardons Blizzard from doing just that before, which is what made Blizzard accept this deal because if they lost in court, Valve could have turned around and sued.Lesson learned, never assume ownership unless you are the rightful and registered owner of such.[/citation]
Well the problem is Blizzard always refused to trademark the name DoTA. I can actually appreciate why as the fact that they felt they wanted people to feel free to use and promote mods based on their games. I actually lose a little respect for Valve for stepping in and trademarking, but legally Valve has their bases covered.

What Blizzard should have done is trademark the name way back when and then allowed the playerbase free use of it. This would have completely negated this today.

leongrado

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
Valve really is a magical company. I love Blizzard and all but they were innovative 10 years ago but now they're just playing it safe and remaking their games with better graphics.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
I'm thinking that Blizzard probably could have won this one (copyright/trademark suits are a damn circus and judges will agree to nearly anything these days), but it would have been very, very expensive for all involved.

I'm guessing Blizzard just decided that it wasn't worth the many millions of dollars it would have taken to effectively "buy back" the name from Valve.

At any rate, it's nice to see these things getting settled without some arrogant piece of shit declaring "thermonuclear war" because his ego can't handle it =P

moon02

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]Well the problem is Blizzard always refused to trademark the name DoTA. I can actually appreciate why as the fact that they felt they wanted people to feel free to use and promote mods based on their games. I actually lose a little respect for Valve for stepping in and trademarking, but legally Valve has their bases covered.What Blizzard should have done is trademark the name way back when and then allowed the playerbase free use of it. This would have completely negated this today.[/citation]

Blizzard didn't cared about Dota. They thought Icefrog would do it in Starcraft 2 for free.
Now that Valve hired him and picks up dota suddenly Blizzard cares. @_@

unionoob

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
[citation][nom]moon02[/nom]Blizzard didn't cared about Dota. They thought Icefrog would do it in Starcraft 2 for free.Now that Valve hired him and picks up dota suddenly Blizzard cares. @_@[/citation]

Then why did we heard about this only after Valve tried to trademark "dota" and not before when game was just work in progress?

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]sa1nt[/nom]i like how nobody mentions guys who really created dota[/citation]
Wouldn't be surprised if Icefrog is getting shafted by corporate greed (Valve). He's not even the lead man on Dota 2. If anything I'd say he was only hired to bring in with him his following and to use him for cases like the one vs Blizzard to claim "we have the mod creator therefore the name belongs to us." Sad thing is Icefrog is most likely just getting a lowly 5 figure salary and nothing more. Though I have no proof of that, that is likely the case seeing how corporations act very different behind the scenes.

bad_student

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
First, what is this 'MOBA' genre? DotA is AoS (Aion of Strife) genre, and the genre was NOT spawed by DotA, it was spawned by the SC1 AoS maps. It was later brought to the WC3 engine and released by multiple authors. Eul then merged multiple content from the various versions and solidified it into DotA. Guinsoo took it up where he left off, then Icefrog after Guinsoo. I'll reiterate once again, there is no such thing as 'MOBA' genre. It is the AoS genre.

The history of DotA here is accurate, but MOBA is now a term for this type of game as well as some others. Other entries in the MOBA genre include hero arenas or similar games (e.g. WarHammer's The Last Stand game mode).

bad_student

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

The history of DotA here is accurate, but MOBA is now a term for this type of game as well as some others. Other entries in the MOBA genre include hero arenas or similar games (e.g. WarHammer's The Last Stand game mode).

bad_student

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
[citation][nom]Darkerson[/nom]Sounds like a personal problem to me. I know I'm not going to sit around and whine about ONE game, when there are so many others that ARE out and worth playing right NOW.[/citation]

HUH? there is something modern worth playing?? do tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS