Valve Applies for Half-Life 3 Trademark

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Meh, most overrated FPS series ever. Still good, but one good game among many. I'll be looking forward to it, but I hope it doesn't get an undue number of headlines.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Half life who? Yes it has been that long. There are grown kids now that will look at you crazy if you speak of HL or HL2 because it has been that long.

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010

Wow that's a big library. Or do you mean Valve?

Silent Ricochet

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
How is the Half Life series over-hyped? I suppose your the kind of gamer that actually thinks the Call of Duty games are good. Or maybe Halo... Half-Life helped define a genre and sparked the idea that games could be customized and lead to mods and other leading titles like CounterStrike, Team Fortress and Day of Defeat. Half Life 2 was and still is considered one of the greatest games of all time. A milestone in gaming history marking a great leap forward in storytelling, graphics and technology. Half Life is a series that I've grown up with. Yes I've played other series and had the change to like other titles; The Mass Effect Triology comes to mind. But there's something about Half-Life that will keep fans like me coming back for more. Something about Half-Life, the look, the feel, the story, the environment. That's what makes a good game. That's not over-hyped. If I can grow from being a child in 6th grade to a 21 year old man, that still even today, enjoys a good play through of Half Life 2 and gets excited for Half Life 3; then Valve has done something right. Something golden. That's what makes a great game.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
A leak on NeoGAF essentially confirms HL3, read more on RPS:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/02/cautious-hooray-half-life-3-being-actively-developed/

hardrock40

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
Wow some HL3 news finally. But lets hope if they do go open world that they don't make this a online only game that you have to be in a world with tweens & teens that have no clue how to actually play these types of games. This needs to have a single player feel to it. But if we decide we want to go online with it let us decide that. The last games story is made for single player because thats just how the story works for those. If they change it up to much the series will ends as hardcore HL fans will walk away from it.

kudoshinchi

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
I guess most ppl who said overhyped must be the teens who never play Half-Life or even know what it is Half-Life. In their head they can think was "call of duty define everything" If it wasn't Half Life, Doom and other FPS games, You wouldn't even have Call Of Duty

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Silent, I agree that Half-Life 1 and 2 were great games. I also agree that the engines, at least, were important for the development of gaming, though I do find it a bit funny that people give the games credit for things that were done with the engine. Oddly, you don't see Unreal Tournament the getting credit for what has been done with the Unreal Engine, or Quake, but the Half-Life games are *constantly* credited with things that modders did with the engine. Great games, but overrated because we've got grown men apparently makings sounds like little girls getting ponies and ridiculous crap like that when the domain name is even mentioned. There are loads of good games, and even a lot of other GREAT games, that people just sort of brush past, but these ones are special. Some thoughts on why...

You insinuate that I'm just one of those young CoD whipper snappers who doesn't know a good FPS from a hole in the ground, but the irony of this is that, between some of your claims as to what Half-Life did and your jump to throw insults at me, even if you hadn't dated yourself I'd have guessed you were quite a bit younger than me and hadn't been gaming nearly as long. I'm guessing you don't realize that Duke 3D had a far more flexible engine than Half-Life did years before, and the things which the 3DRealms fanatics did with it easily rivaled what was done with the Half-Life engine for destructibility and scope? And did you realize that Quake had an active modding community well before Half-Life was released - and yet you attribute Half-Life with having "sparked the idea that games could be customized and lead to mods and other." Just sentimental nonsense giving it kudos which it simply doesn't deserve. And I'm guessing you also didn't know that Team Fortress was a Quake mod before Half-Life was even released, yet you listed this as one of Half-Life's big accomplishments?

This is the OoT effect. I'm guessing you're familiar with Legends of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time? THAT is the game most widely considered to be the "greatest game of all time" I'm sorry to say. Don't agree with it, perhaps? Pity for you - since you've already cited some sort of consensus to say that "Half Life 2 was and still is considered one of the greatest games of all time" and more people consider OoT to be the best. The thing is, when you get these popular games that were the big things when someone was a little kid, they are almost always looked at through rose coloured glasses and all of the sudden they're leaping tall buildings with a single bound when, in truth, they were really good games. OoT is *constantly* dubbed as the first big open world game when EQ came out on the PC before it and had larger open worlds. What's more, it is constantly credited with being the first game to include the "revolutionary" z-targeting when a host of wrestling games were doing precisely that two or three years before its release. People who loved it as a kid gloss over its flaws and load it up with accomplishments that it did not actually achieve, and then it is forever "the best game ever made" and blah blah blah.

I remember when I was first told about Half-Life, my nephew, who largely a Super Nes gamer was ranting on and on about it, telling me about how it was the very first game to do this and that and the other thing, so I tried it... And all the while I was playing it I was thinking "Uh, Duke 3D did this better two years ago." The game itself was awesome, as was the second, and I'll be getting the third very shortly after its released... But these games are the definition of overhyped, and your post is a stunning example for that overhype, heaping praise on the games for things other games did better years before.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
You know what's REALLY ironic about a lot of you people assuming that the claim Half-Life the series is overhyped? It's because it actually kind of was the CoD of its time in some ways. A good - a great - game which everyone was so, so hyped about when there were other arguably better games around which did many of the same things it was credited with and did them first... And for many of us who actually knew about these others games we were sitting there playing in Quake's much more diverse (initially) mods and Duke3D's astounding array of player-built levels and saying "wow, look at all these teeny-boppers who don't know any better..."

Granted, I think Half-Life brought far more to the table than CoD does now, but go figure, it was busy being credited with things other games had done first and arguably better by people who didn't have a clue. Kind of reminds you of how a lot of kids are about CoD these days, eh?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Avoiding the totally irrelevant argument about liking or disliking HL, what strikes me as odd is that as soon as HL2 was released why they didn't put in for trademarks for HL3, 4, 5 all the way up to 20 - seeing as Final Fantasy is into the teens it makes sense to place mark for the future

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Let's not forget that we've been through this before. Until Valve has a solid date I'm not holding my breath. But as soon as it's available for pre-order...

"why they didn't put in for trademarks for HL3, 4, 5 all the way up to 20"

My guess is trademarks evolve over time, and, as evidenced by this article, the act of applying for a trademark is news. :)

+1 stevejnb - one my most favorite maps for unreal tournament, was an entire open city, filled with explorable buildings, a complete sewer system, catwalks, etc etc. I remember a virtually unlimited number of choices of mods for quake/ut games. I got kicked from tons of servers for not having the right ones too, lol.

Wasn't too long ago, there was an article where we supposed what kind of game elements might be introduced to the half-life series. Please don't do quick time events =) Build it all in 4K textures, and then scale down from there. Our ISPs will just have to suck it up and push that data :)

Status
Not open for further replies.