Valve Boss Gabe Newell Says ''Windows 8 is a Catastrophe''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
"likely because the upcoming OS comes packed with native support for Xbox Live and Windows Store, both of which threaten Steam's stronghold in the PC gaming sector. "

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Pot, meet Kettle. I have been less and less impressed by Valve's actions as of late. TF2 went from a ton of fun to an absolute bloated mess after the 300 new weapon updates and F2P model hit, what was to have been a 6 month wait for ep3, Valve's flagship series, is going on it's fifth year now, whith no end in sight, and my wallet has very little to fear from the recent steam sales.

December 2009 I spent over 100 dollars on various games and got a ton of bang for my buck, probably over 30 games of varying quality. This summer sale? I picked up Back to the Future for 6 bucks or something like that. Nothing else piqued my interest. There were no earth-shaking deals or reason for me to buy. Mix that in with the unacceptable promises of what is quickly becoming vapourware and the catering to macfags and talk of a home console, microtransactions and pay to win models, and Valve is, in my humble opinion, quickly becoming "what's wrong with gaming today"

Rant at me if you want, but i've been hooked ever since I played HL2 back in '05, and I can see nasty things on the horizon for this company that seems to value profit over user experience.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Time to start moving STEAM to Linux and Open GL, STEAM is already working fine with OS X and Open GL MS the company that bought out SKYPE and then rewrote the code so the FEDS could easily listen in on your conversations. The same thing MS did to their OS after the FEDS dropped the monoply suit against them in the 90s. MS and the FEDS are in bed together, Google too adn if I had to guess I wouldn't trust OS X either.Long Live Linux[/citation]

Steam isn't an engine so Open GL? lol....

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Which top tier OEMs is he talking about?

For your non-internet gamers, touch is a catastrophe and something that none of us will use while gaming. That or we won't use it in the same capacity we use keyboard/mouse. For your average user, adding touch isn't going to change anything for them as it doesn't matter if you click your friends cow with a mouse or touch it on your screen.

More importantly, is the title of the article a little misleading?
We get a short blurb on Why Windows 8 is a catastrophe, a link, no in depth look at why Gabe said that, and the large majority of the article on future user interaction technologies.

That said, there is some merit to the HUD/Augmented reality thoughts and there are several big players that are looking into it (Google, Microsoft, etc.). The future is going to be an interesting one. I can't wait for minority report interaction (or more recently, if you noticed, how Tony & Bruce interacted with data in The Avengers).

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]No but all the games from STEAM on OS X are in Open GL and will be for Linux too, now shut your hole.[/citation]

All I have to do is to look at the Steam's own numbers for OX X and Linux and see how bad of a move that will be to abandoned windows.

Proof mac****s are stupid.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]All I have to do is to look at the Steam's own numbers for OX X and Linux and see how bad of a move that will be to abandoned windows.Proof mac****s are stupid.[/citation]

They see me trollin'

The comments

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Said this elsewhere. What we think of as PC gaming where we install a game within an OS is going to vanish. Cloud gaming will take hold, and at that point it doesn't matter how "open" the OS is. You'll just be "streaming" games from within some app or browser.

Don't get me wrong--the current cloud offerings like OnLive are a far cry from satisfactory. But it's going to happen, and it'll happen quick. All these discussions and dissatisfaction with the openness of Windows 8 is mostly a moot point.

That and the fact that most real PC gamers aren't going to migrate to windows 8, so the problem pretty much solves itself for the time-being.

On the other hand, the PC enthusiast market is shrinking. :'(

EVILNOD

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
[citation][nom]internetlad[/nom]Pot, meet Kettle. I have been less and less impressed by Valve's actions as of late. TF2 went from a ton of fun to an absolute bloated mess after the 300 new weapon updates and F2P model hit, what was to have been a 6 month wait for ep3, Valve's flagship series, is going on it's fifth year now, whith no end in sight, and my wallet has very little to fear from the recent steam sales. December 2009 I spent over 100 dollars on various games and got a ton of bang for my buck, probably over 30 games of varying quality. This summer sale? I picked up Back to the Future for 6 bucks or something like that. Nothing else piqued my interest. There were no earth-shaking deals or reason for me to buy. Mix that in with the unacceptable promises of what is quickly becoming vapourware and the catering to macfags and talk of a home console, microtransactions and pay to win models, and Valve is, in my humble opinion, quickly becoming "what's wrong with gaming today"Rant at me if you want, but i've been hooked ever since I played HL2 back in '05, and I can see nasty things on the horizon for this company that seems to value profit over user experience.[/citation]

if you buy summer fire sale the past 2 years, then you pick up most of AAA title already.
i just dont think there many AAA game worth buying this year..
i dont buy any ubisoft game due to DRM
i can't buy any EA game since they using their own
and i stilling waiting civ discount include all the DLC + exp.

as more and more people buy games online via steam, publisher like EA, activation want a piece of action too. therefore they pull their new game and create their own online store. this is other reason why we felt so few game onsale compare to the past.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I agree with Gabe. Windows 8 is a train wreck in progress. I don't want XBox Live or Games for Windows Live on my PC. I don't want to buy stuff from the Windows Marketplace. I don't want Metro apps. I don't want an OS designed for finger smudges. I don't want an OS inspired by the failed Windows Phone 7. I really don't like that Microsoft is so focused on going after the iPad that they've screwed up everything they've built upon with previous versions of Windows.

dgingeri

Distinguished
I'm thinking, with the pricing we've already seen for Windows 8, he's talking that MS is going to be selling the OS directly to customers at nearly the same price as to OEMs. This will cut into any profit an OEM might make from an OS that would normally be $40 to them and $100+ to the customer. They'd be losing about $40-50 on their margin.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
The head of the company that's responsible for Steam calls Win 8 a "catastrophe".

HAHAHAHAHA!

That boy needs to mow his own lawn if he's going to talk about his neighbors like that.

I've bought my last game on Steam. Tired of the product key code hassle. No, Steam, I already put in the code and checked the little square on the box that says "don't show this message again, so - STOP showing the message on top of my game Every. Time. I. Play.

scogar

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
It looks like Gabe doesn't understand or get the point that the keyboard and mouse will still be optional, they are now, afterall still USB devices.

I've never used or seen windows 8 and I knew it would be a catastrophe.
I've a few screen shoots and heard it was designed with touch interfaces in mind and that is when I knew I wouldn't be getting it.

I'll stick to windows 7.

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Windows 8's main target is tablets and touch screen PCs. You're limited to what you can do on Windows 8.
Can you see yourself walking around not with a tablet but your desktop or all All-In-One PC?
-Windows 8 is going to be a big down fall for Microsoft.
-OSX is bad enough already.
-Guess Linux is going to rise for this part of the OS.

gabrielspcs1

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Touch interfaces are anoyying and expensive compared to mouse and keyboard.
(Windows 8, iOS and Android) Think about it for a moment.... Have you ever needed to pay for a expensive screen protector for a keyboard to keep it from being scratched? Have you ever realized how easy it is to scratch a touchscreen? Yes, Windows 8 is the next disaster right next to iOS and Android.
ZAGG 13" (yep, laptop) HP touchscreen protector $39.99 (insane)
So thanks to the touchy interface these days we now either have to live with scratched screens or pay extra just because its touch? Thanks..... Goodness knows how much its going to cost for a screen protector for a 24" LED touch screen.... eeks! And who needs touch interface for really fast frame per second games? Have you tried playing need for speed on a 10" tablet? Since the controls are limited, its a pain!

carlosb

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Time to start moving STEAM to Linux and Open GL, STEAM is already working fine with OS X and Open GL MS the company that bought out SKYPE and then rewrote the code so the FEDS could easily listen in on your conversations. The same thing MS did to their OS after the FEDS dropped the monoply suit against them in the 90s. MS and the FEDS are in bed together, Google too adn if I had to guess I wouldn't trust OS X either.Long Live Linux[/citation]

More like move good games to Linux. Steam isnt the engine, its just the means

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
As with games Windows 8 may be exactly like Windows ME. Enthusiasts held back to Windows 98SE until Windows XP came along and and in three months XP was patched and mature enough to run almost any game five years old at the time. Those lucky few of us could get Win2K Pro to suffice in the mean time. If there's an enthusiast market to sell to there'll be another version of Windows to fit the gap. Until then, like 98 did when ME settled in, Windows 7 will be around for a good long while and will work just fine.

chaoski

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
did he just say Mouse/Keyboard are going away?

Valve, please start drug testing your employees right away (starting with your CEO)

Status
Not open for further replies.