Valve Breaks Down Controller Usage Among PC Gamers

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
This means nothing. I have a XBox360 controller plugged in to my PC but in Steam, 99% of the games I play, I use the keyboard and mouse. So having it registered in Steam doesn't mean I use the controller.

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014

I was going to say the same thing. I plugged one in to try it once, so I'm probably counted somehow. More interesting data would be to see how many hours of gameplay use the controllers, but I'm not sure they can tell.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Some games I switch back and forth, like far cry5 - driving and flying planes is easier with a controller and everything else is better with the keyboard and mouse - funnily enough including helicopters for me.

alextheblue

Distinguished
I love having the option. I use KB + mouse for most PC titles but console ports, emulated games, and a lot of platformers/JRPGs are great with a controller. The newer model Xbox One controllers are awesome and easy to use even if you're tech-illiterate, and they have broad support in controller-friendly titles (including good default mapping and on-screen tooltips showing the XB controller inputs).

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I bought a mini Bluetooth USB adapter and a XB One controller to use with steam on some of the platform, bullet hell, and JRPG games I have in my library like Final Fantasy. KB + Mouse is great for MMO's like WoW and ESO. I switch between both. I was using a PS4 controller but if I pressed the PS button it turned on my PS4, so I went with the XB One since I don't own that console and the controller is supported natively by Win10. It is nice that controllers are switching to BT just makes connecting them to all your devices much easier. I paired my XB Oone controller to my Android phone and tablet as well as my PC.

It is interesting to see what controllers people are using the most. And with this info maybe we'll see more games with controller support baked in like FF XIV Online and STO. I know there's an addon for WoW to use a controller but it can be a pita to setup properly if you don't know what your doing and plow right in without reading up on it.