Valve Celebrates 500,000 Steam Controllers Sold, More Features On The Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
I have a Valve controller. To me, it's really only useful for games that don't support a 360 controller.

Am I the only one who finds it very weird-looking? If I'm looking for my 360 controller, and pick up the Valve controller, it looks as wrong as a face with no eyes to me.

brucek2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Shocked the number is that high given I don't recall seeing any fully positive reviews (lots of support for the idea and hopes for the future, just generally feelings that it wasn't all there yet.) Numbers may be truly giant once they nail it.

ikaz

Distinguished
I'm sure that include package deals they had going for awhile I remember seeing deals for some new games on steam where you end up getting the controller for like $20 if you the limited addition of game "X" and added in a controller. Not to mention I bet they are including any OEM sales, not sure if people bought steam boxes also go controlers too.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Well, the misconception most people have is that the Steam controller is competing with or is a substitute for the 360 pad. It's really not, it has a completely different use. Generally, the Steam controller is more a replacement for mouse/keyboard. Say, games with a UI that requires a lot of pointing and clicking, things like city builders or RTS or 4X, the Steam controller is great for that if you don't want to use mouse/keyboard. But if you just want to do the things a 360 pad can already do, then the 360 pad is by far the better option.

spigias

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

Well, the misconception most people have is that the Steam controller is competing with or is a substitute for the 360 pad. It's really not, it has a completely different use. Generally, the Steam controller is more a replacement for mouse/keyboard. Say, games with a UI that requires a lot of pointing and clicking, things like city builders or RTS or 4X, the Steam controller is great for that if you don't want to use mouse/keyboard. But if you just want to do the things a 360 pad can already do, then the 360 pad is by far the better option.

all i need thank you for info

rswain823

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
I got it at a discount with the Dark Souls 3 bundle and I was beyond curious. It has a big learning curve but after you play some games with it for a while and learn how to use it properly, it puts the XBOX controller to shame. It really shines in games like first person shooters where the mouse and keyboard are usually far superior but are unavailable (playing on a couch for instance). Very happy with mine :)

CrimsonIdol

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016
They'd sell more if they released it properly. I live in Australia and for the last year or more I've been seeing these offers on steam for discounts with games like XCOM and Civ and every time I click on them it STILL says "coming soon", I still can't order the bastard without getting it through some heavily overpriced importer (150 last time I checked)

Robstacle

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016
@CrimsonIdol. Try Amazon. I got my steam link through there directly - cheaper than ebay (was about 60 US inc shipping)

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
is it any good guys or should i stick to my 360?
Easily better then any other controller i have used to date,
however steam big picture required to use it to its fullest, thats is only flaw is how horrible that crap is to use.

much prefer it over 360 pads, but then again, i had to sand down my 360 pad to get 100% range of motion after microsoft told me to pound sand with a 30~ day warranty... this has happened for 3 controllers, xbox apparently has outer dead zones too, as 2 of them only showed the issue when on the pc.

Kimonajane

Commendable
May 24, 2016
Hmm When I build my new Winblows gaming rig gonna take my old Q9650 with a 560Ti and such and turn it into a steam box for my big screen in my living room, this controller sounds like what I need.

Antichrist

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
I just ordered this controller and the Steam Link to try out. I can't imagine using it as a replacement for the Xbox One controller, as in my mind that is the best controller ever made, but I'm curious about using it with keyboard/mouse games. Would be nice to not have to load and configure Pinnacle Game Profiler for those games even though that is a great program.

KirbyKirby

Reputable
Jun 2, 2016
It's a decent controller, but for games actually designed with a 360 gamepad in mind, I'd rather just use that. It does shine in its ability to play games that don't have full gamepad support, as well as a lot of customization options.

My biggest complaint is that it's by far the noisiest controller I own. A lot of parts are very clicky, and so far the haptic feedback doesn't really do much for me.

Kimonajane,
Just keep in mind lots of games are not support, and of those that are performance is often closer to 70% what you get in Windows. Some of these also have a few issues like stutter.

SteamOS and driver support is going to get better over time though.

*Since you're building a gaming rig you may want to just buy a Steam Link for $50USD and also get the Steam controller.

The Steam Link uses your gaming PC (so you can't use it for anything else) but it also means all your games work (you're just streaming the video from your Windows PC to the Steam Link).

You should use ETHERNET (not wi-fi) for Steam Link if possible or you add too much latency (lag).

Status
Not open for further replies.