Valve Confirms Plans to Enter Hardware Business

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
God no... we dont need other closed hardware system. PC is the only answer. Valve pull your head out of your ass and continue improving your service please. Dont freaking get involved in console crap that crap is gross.

[citation][nom]sicom[/nom]Mice are great, but keyboards aren't. I've always thought keyboards could be far more efficient, especially from a gamer's perspective. The existence and success of products like Nostromo seems to point that parts of the industry and consumers agree. Just the prospect of Valve potentially bringing innovation here has me excited![/citation]
As a text input device keyboards are nearly perfect, which is why they have not changed much in the last 5-10 years (and arguably much longer).

For gaming I think that changing the keyboard (like zBoards and other companies have done) is the wrong approach. I think the demand is for something that crosses the dedicated button layout and comfort of a traditional console controller, with the more variable and more accurate move/aim functionality of a mouse.

Keyboards were never meant to be a game interface, they were simply what was available back in the '80s and '90s when PC gaming was the dominant force, and the PC eco system for games like real-time RPGs and FPSs hasn't changed much since then, giving PC gamers huge reflex and control advantages over their console counterparts (and the #1 reason there are so few games that allow cross-platform multiplayer options). This is where newer innovative interfaces (such as leapmotion or kinect2) could run on either platform, and bridge the play-style gap between PC gamers that have cumbersome but more advanced tools, and console gamers who are stuck with controllers which are great for some things, but extremely limiting in other areas.
The problem with all the new hardware interfaces coming out is that they need new GUIs which can handle the multitude of new ways of interacting with technology, information, and software. We may be in an interface hell for the next few years while hardware designers, software engineers, and end users decide what interfaces work best with the most types of workloads. This is only going to get more complicated with the increasing popularity of the multitude of device form-factors available and coming out which range from headless server services, traditional desktops, traditional consoles, new consoles, headsets (ranging from VR systems to augmented reality systems), phones, and tablets. Personally I wish I could skip ahead 10 years to where we have our devices and interfaces figured out again.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I give this a decent chance at succeeding. Best case, the "steam box" propels game developers to make games better suited for PC's. I mean, just look at the $500 gaming builds featured on Tom's. If it is possible in a one-off build, you know similar or better specs could be achieved cheaper in mass production. I can see one of Valve's innovations could be to allow user's to upgrade specific components such as the GPU, CPU, memory, etc. Yes, this means not all "steam boxes" will run all games the same as with consoles, but that is the whole point: Better games that don't have to be dumbed down to the lowest specs.

dennisburke

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
The Nostromo looks like a decent addon, much like the wheel and joystick, but a keyboard can do what the Nostromo can do and more. My new M90 mouse is way cool and has changed the way I interact with everything. Affordable mechanical keyboards is one area that the experience can improve. I'm not sure where Gabe is going with this. Are we to put a football type helmet on, that has a built-in wrap_around 3D VR screen, with 7:1 surround sound, and sensors that can read our brain waves, and all we have to do is just sit there and move our head around? Valve just needs to come out with Half Life 3 that takes advantage of the already amazing hardware that already exists, and worry about hardware later.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
[citation][nom]Antonia Font[/nom]Valve, please, buy Commodore and resurrects Amiga hardware with today standars.This is the ONLY way.[/citation]

I was going to say team up with Sega. I always hoped a new Genesis or Dreamcast would come out.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
If this platform is something new and revolutionary (i.e. not just another rehashed X86 cpu/integrated GPU combo like it appears at least one of the nextgen consoles will be), I might be interested. Remember back when a new console would come out, and PCs would need a few years to catch up in certain areas? Hasnt been that way since Dreamcast, really. Honestly, I'm really sick of X86 everything, cant we adopt a CPU that isnt based on an instruction set from the 70s? (ironically, this is AMDs fault for obliterating Itanium with x86-64, LOL).

Timberwolf_CLT

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
[citation][nom]gsacks[/nom]Given how much effort they are currently putting into their Linux client, and the developers they are openly working with, I expect any hardware they come out with will be build on the Linux Kernel, Intel CPU, and either Intel or Nvidia GPU. I expect there will be a Steam/Linux distro that users can install on their own hardware as well. Currently they are working with Canonical and planning for the first version of Steam on Linux to be supported on Ubuntu.[/citation]

So, I wonder how long it would be after they release this before they shut down support for Win-based Steam? I can see it now: Sorry, but if you want your games to run you have to buy our "stuff".

The heavy-handed slamming of Win8 by Gabe also bugs me as he's clearly trying to steer gamers to this Linux box.

No offense Gabe, Steve Jobs probably could have pulled that off but you're no Steve Jobs...

zakaron

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
As a general purpose PC, the 102/104 keyboard and 3 button mouse are more than adequate. That's why I bought my PC in the first place: to write reports, do research, listen & create music, and of course play games. For all of these tasks, I would want nothing more than what I have now. If you are looking for a dedicated gaming PC (ie console) than yes, there can be improvements to the UI and controls. For what it's worth, the keyboard has adapted well to the gaming genre. In fact, I find it easier to use keyboard + mouse for FPS and RTS style games versus the game pad. Other games like racing, sports, or fighting are easier with a game pad.

That seems to be where Valve is headed. I can see it being similar to Ouya, but running Steam over Linux. For this, they can create whatever input device they feel is required to best utilize their machine. And I'm okay with that and curious to see where they take it. But I likely feel this will be a strictly gaming console.

G

Hmmm... Maybe a box with standard PC hardware running a dedicated interface based on Linux??? I doubt they would care to sell a standard PC running Windows 8 like everyone else...

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Any changet to control interface now would likely be incremental. THe keyboard and mouse are too ubiquitous with PCs, and most gaming pads on consoles have essentially been the same since forever with only small tweaks here and there like size. The introduction of the analog stick and rumble features was probably the last major advancement in controllers.. the current trend has been more towards virtual analogues (pretend to swing a sword, pretend to turn a steering wheel), which though cool in concept is quite dull in practice. VR would only take this further, but when it comes down to it, swinging a stick and pretneding it's a sword, or swining your hands about pretending you're holding a sword, has and will likely continue to be a slowly adopted change most will simply give up on. A tactile device is simple and easiest to implement and use. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's obsolete. THe wheel is out oldest invention and has never been replaced, just tweaked in form (stone sircles, to wooden wheels, to neumatic tires). Perhaps we should just come to accept that the current most popular set of input devices are simply the best that can be achieved? Maybe there isn't a better solution.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
The only way I would buy into this is if my existing Steam collection can play on it, I can only see this happening 2 ways:-

1 - It will be a Windows based

2 - They will crack the method for existing games to run on Linux

Whatever they do they need to make sure that graphics can stay the course for the life of a standard console (5 to 7 years) or make the graphics a single replaceable module.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

Yeah it's going to be really hard to completely replace the keyboard and mouse. Hardware manufacturers can make them nicer to use and update features, but at the end of the day most of what we input into a computer is still going to be keyboard and mouse. Even touch devices (smartphones and tablets) have an on screen keyboard.

G

The only improvement to keyboards I can think of is some sort of enforced standard on keyboard/motherboard input/software design that guarantees you will be able to use the the Q, W and A keys simultaneously on all keyboards and all computers and all games without exception.

I use the QWES layout for FPS movement, rather than WASD, and I jump with A and duck with Z (stopped adjusting my keyboard layout for each new game after Duke3d came out!) On my particular setup, I can jump if I'm strafing right while moving forward (WEA keys) but not if I'm strafing left (QWA keys). My keyboard is an original blue Saitek Eclipse, so it was not a cheap $10 keyboard when it came out.

It would be nice to be able to guarantee that any keyboard, even the cheap $10 ones, would be able to handle any combination of keys, at least up to four at once, without having certain ones that just don't and can't work. Especially now that most keyboards are USB, and therefore not supposed to be subject to any of the eccentricities of the older PS2 and AT keyboard input standards.

So, there is still a little room for maturation of the classic keyboard "input controller."

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
Dear Valve,

with the bickering dynasty wars between Sony, LG, and the likes, that always leaves devout players out in the cold, and we have money to throw at them...

I ask you this, please make a dedicated hardware car racing Sim, with awesome forcefeedback at that wheel, perhaps a playseat, hydraulic, and timely updates to your game, with great physics, immersion etc,

I and others will shovel money into your already existing endless money pit.

This is great news, and I hope Valve succeeds where there is so much fail right now out there.

gravewax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
So valve a company that struggles to take full advantage of the even today's hardware and is concerned that there dated money grabbing model is being threatened is accusing others of lack of innovation in hardware and software? Pot meet Kettle.

nicodemus_mm

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
So between 'Sauna' and 'Autoclave' I think I like the name 'Autoclave' better.

Dear Valve,
Can I get a lifetime subscription to all games on Steam for just saving you from having to hire someone to name this thing? :)

Thanks,
Member since Feb. 8, 2005

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
What about the rumor that they were teaming up with Apple to create the console?

Oh and the mouse and keyboard haven't changed for years for good reason. They work. They work well. Console controllers got nothing on them. Short of a neural interface, that won't change.

Valve BOX:
The ONLY logical option I can see is for them to build a PC with existing hardware. They obviously can't put together a new console, that's too involved and we already have several current and upcoming consoles for that niche.

The "valve box" could be successful if it had value. Considering that the PS3 is under $300, I'm not sure what they could design that would really entice people.

Sure they could also throw out some peripherals, but the console world has this and the PC world has the XBox 360 controller which is generally fine.

*SUMMARY:
I really don't see where VALVE can make its mark. A half-decent reference PC would have to be sold at a loss, and the new consoles (PS4, XBOX720, maybe Wii-U) are going to be excellent value systems.

G

A gaming laptop with at least a 10 gigabit eithernet port, an external PCI port, and a USM slim hot swappable hard drive bay! And here is the big, one a user upgradeable GPU slot, and 4 channels
of very fast memory! Thanks Santa!

G

Even basic input, the keyboard and mouse, haven’t really changed in any meaningful way over the years.
And they shouldn't. Why fix something that isn't broken?

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]s3anister[/nom]If they are making a "Steam Box" I'm hoping it doesn't end up like the next-box or PS4 spec wise...[/citation][citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]then expect to pay double to triple for it[/citation]No doubt. That would ensure its failure. I don't know about you but if I'm going to spend a lot of cash on a box, it is going to be a PC, and it already runs Steam. No need for a special "Steam Box".[citation][nom]fonzy[/nom]I was going to say team up with Sega. I always hoped a new Genesis or Dreamcast would come out.[/citation]If they do this I hope Sega doesn't release Steam Box exclusives or I'll be forced to buy one. Damnit.[citation][nom]blppt[/nom]Honestly, I'm really sick of X86 everything, cant we adopt a CPU that isnt based on an instruction set from the 70s?[/citation]Can't we just get users to stop worrying about the basic underlying instruction set, since it doesn't really matter (except to people who hate backwards compatibility and Jews in equal measures), and the architecture itself is completely modern and nothing like early x86 processors? Damn instruction set Nazis...

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
If it looks like a console and boots with a console like front end, I'd be fine with that as long as it's a fully modular, open architecture PC under the hood that can at least run current games at 1080p, DX11 with 40FPS stable. Make it steam punk. Buyer's choice of options, starting with AMD or Intel build for mobo, and go from there. I want a Steam GUI with super large icons and interface that are controller-capable. Do all this, but still make it have a full version of Windows/Linux/Mac OS underneath. Throw in a ton of games for free, including CS:GO, maybe choose 4 or 5 more from a huge list of games people actually want. Do all that for $500 and I'd buy one for my gamer wife who likes her PC games on Steam, but prefers the feel of a console like her PS3 (without the crappy graphics)

Status
Not open for further replies.