Valve Confirms Plans to Enter Hardware Business

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]blppt[/nom]Honestly, I'm really sick of X86 everything, cant we adopt a CPU that isnt based on an instruction set from the 70s? (ironically, this is AMDs fault for obliterating Itanium with x86-64, LOL).[/citation]That's like saying you won't drive a car because it's based on something made 100 years ago. When was Television invented? Or your microwave? Are you going to complain that they're all old tech even though they are all evolved and modern?

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]Antonia Font[/nom]Valve, please, buy Commodore and resurrects Amiga hardware with today standars.This is the ONLY way.[/citation]
Best idea I've heard on Tom's in a long time.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
^ totally agree, bring back the talented devs that made the glory days of Amiga, to be alive once again today. Hell, I'll even buy floppy disks and swap them again. End this cancerous PC gaming industry of today.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"That's like saying you won't drive a car because it's based on something made 100 years ago. When was Television invented? Or your microwave? Are you going to complain that they're all old tech even though they are all evolved and modern? "

Oh give me a break---thats not even remotely the same thing and you know it. First of all, if you want to use that analogy, we dont have any better alternatives currently to the basic building block of the engine 100 years ago, the Internal Combustion model, which is about the only thing you can base this comparison on, so its a moot point.

X86 is not inherently superior to any current competing architecture in anything other than legacy software support. That, and Intel's massive manufacturing/design ability (which has nothing specifically to do with x86, they would have that advantage no matter what architecture they were making) is the reason x86 still rules a good portion of the cpu world. I do believe if Itanium had been better at emulating legacy 32bit x86 code, it would be the architecture we would all be using now. But it didnt, and here we are.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Can't we just get users to stop worrying about the basic underlying instruction set, since it doesn't really matter (except to people who hate backwards compatibility and Jews in equal measures),

Right...thats exactly where this discussion needed to go...calling me an anti-semite for disliking a cpu instruction set.

G

[citation][nom]extremepcs[/nom]"Open platforms like the PC and Mac are important"Mac is an open platform?[/citation]

I lold because none of those are open platform.

Before you begin the downvote bombing, Microsoft has an antitrust against it, and MacOS in general is just plain locked down.

Btw the "Steam box" should feature an A10-5800k or better gfx. Most "console" gamers will be impressed.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
i wonder thoguh what sort of hardware they are gonna aim for and waht price , for today's serious gamer you need ATLEAST a quad core cpu 8 gig's of ram and a GF 570 or radeon 6850, at elst a 1 tb driveon it . and i just don't see this sort of "box" costing less than 600-700 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.