Valve Confirms Plans to Enter Hardware Business

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Valve, please, buy Commodore and resurrects Amiga hardware with today standars.
This is the ONLY way. ;)

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
hmmm interesting, just as I'm planning to build a monster ITX system or mATX SLI box :) Time to upgrade, 9800GTX and C2D e6750 getting aged, though chances are i will still build my own box just out of fun :)

Keys and Mice have not changed much 'recently' because they are mature products. They are amazingly excellent at what they are made to do, and evey attempt to 'innovate' these products has either flopped, or aimed at a nitche market because there is nothing to be done to make them truly 'better'.

There are other input methods, such as speech, kinect, leap motion, web cameras, touch-screens, EEG, and other great innovations which are all either working products now, or will be available very soon, but the OS does not properly support such input devices yet because the interface is made for keys/mice. MS is making strides at making the OS more open to these new input methods with win8... but we all know how Valve feels about that.

fandroid

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
[citation][nom]extremepcs[/nom]"Open platforms like the PC and Mac are important"Mac is an open platform?[/citation]

Yep it is. Bend over and open...

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
[citation][nom]extremepcs[/nom]"Open platforms like the PC and Mac are important"Mac is an open platform?[/citation]

Open platform, yes.
Open source, no.

I am glad Valve is throwing themselves into the game. Whether or not their product(s) succeed or not I think is irrelevant. Like Gabe Newell said, the lack of innovation is frustrating and if nothing else, Valve's entry into the competitive pool will make a splash and hopefully give the other companies a boot in the rump to get the ball rolling on some new stuff.

Hopefully development of the Steam Box doesn't take as long as Half Life 3.

Also, why not partner with an OEM like Dell and churn out something sort of like the X51? That's the closest you'll get to console form factor with a true PC these days.

Looks like Half-Life 3 needs new hardware to run. And when i mean new hardware that means it should be something totally different to wow us in terms of input , processing , connectivity,etc.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Gabe Newell[/nom]Even basic input, the keyboard and mouse, haven’t really changed in any meaningful way over the years. [/citation]

Neither have microwave ovens, and for a good reason.

Xingster

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
So this means that release date of the machine will be some time in 2020 and they'll use the same hardware until 2040.
Valvetime doesn't scale well in hardware...

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]bringmeanother[/nom]What is going to happen to those of us who have invested into expensive gaming PCs?[/citation]

You will get sneered at for being too old and afraid of change by young punks with Surfaces.

sicom

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
Awesome!

To the above comments - Mice are great, but keyboards aren't. I've always thought keyboards could be far more efficient, especially from a gamer's perspective. The existence and success of products like Nostromo seems to point that parts of the industry and consumers agree. Just the prospect of Valve potentially bringing innovation here has me excited!

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
Given how much effort they are currently putting into their Linux client, and the developers they are openly working with, I expect any hardware they come out with will be build on the Linux Kernel, Intel CPU, and either Intel or Nvidia GPU. I expect there will be a Steam/Linux distro that users can install on their own hardware as well. Currently they are working with Canonical and planning for the first version of Steam on Linux to be supported on Ubuntu.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I hope they do this right. a mass market open source x86 console with steam drm is something that indie devs would really love. likely something with just enough juice to run source engine. Im pretty sure valve can do this right.

G

You don't just hire Jeri Ellsworth and Ben Kraznow and not make hardware.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I didn't like this idea when it first floated about months ago, and now it seems jus as bad. They can talk about "innovation" all they want, but their real goal is simply to make ore money by having their stuff on a proprietary system they can sell to people. It will likely be no more innovative than any other "innovation" being done by PC and console makers. You only have to look so far as Razer's Blade and Windows 8.They both try to "innovate" so users have more options on how to use the device/software, yet they get tons of flack for it. I suspect that any traction this idea gains will be primarily from Valve's name being attached, not on the merits of the end product.

Status
Not open for further replies.