Valve Finally Launches Source 2, Makes It Free For Developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TallestJon96

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014
I expect/hope for an announcenent at or before E3 (Portal 3, HL3, New CS), it seems that with steam mavhines, VR, and a new engine this would be the perfect time.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
"The catch is that Epic requires a 5 percent royalty fee after the resulting product -- whether it's a game or an animated film -- brings in $3,000 per quarter. Previously, developers were required to shell out $19 per month to use the highly-popular game engine."

I would like to say that this seems a bit miss-leading the way it is written, when Unreal Engine 4 was a $20/month subscription they still charged a royalty when something was produced and revenue was generated. The royalty is not relevant to the change in monthly cost to free, but the way this was phrased makes it sound like it was not there before.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Source 2 = Half Life 3 or HL2 Ep3? I was disappointed when they didn't release an episode 3 for HL 2 as the story obviously didn't stop in Ep2.

We have reached the 10 year mark. Valve can no longer make Half life 3. The HL pedastal is too high now and expectations have reached Nukem proportions. HL3 would have to be the greatest game of all time in order to avoid going down in history as "not as good as HL2"

Andrew Fox

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2015
"Valve Finally Launches Source 2, Makes It Free For Developers"

"For a long while we've wondered when Valve would finally release the second generation Source engine. That day finally came this week during the Game Developers Conference 2015."

Cool it's out!......

"As of this article, Valve has not released any information about when the Source 2 engine will be available"

Whut. Editor plz.

We've been waiting for HL3 and HL2:Ep3 for a long time. So long we've started seeing it as vaporware instead of a real product. I'm not holding my breath for them.

Interesting that Epic has decided to go back to a more UDK type distribution... except maybe source code? I didn't notice mention, at least here.

Unity 5? Nice to see it finally released.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS