Valve Games May Be Coming to OnLive

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Agreed, I would certainly use it on my tablet/netbook. The fees are a killer though - monthly fees + cost of buying a separate onLive edition of the game (which sometimes costs more than a digital / hard copy of the game). If I could play my Steam games on OnLive at little or no additional cost, that would be a game-changer.

G

Looks like Valve might be interested in purchasing OnLive and integrating it into Steam. Could be good for both companies - Valve attracts more customers who lack capable computer hardware, and OnLive gets access to a larger software library. Steam as a platform is then able to broaden out to tablets, phones and the like.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
OnLive is a great idea but like some great ideas it may be ahead of its time. I def see tablets taking advantage of this and Valve may give OnLive a chance to get a foot hold.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]kanazak[/nom]Agreed, I would certainly use it on my tablet/netbook. The fees are a killer though - monthly fees + cost of buying a separate onLive edition of the game (which sometimes costs more than a digital / hard copy of the game). If I could play my Steam games on OnLive at little or no additional cost, that would be a game-changer.[/citation]

i thought they got rid of the monthly fee,
also its the only way to rent pc games i believe.

[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]OnLive is a great idea but like some great ideas it may be ahead of its time. I def see tablets taking advantage of this and Valve may give OnLive a chance to get a foot hold.[/citation]

not ahead of its time, just not really growing.
if you live within 50 miles of a server, the thing rind great for games that dont require reaction times down to the millisecond (racing games) most other games you can compensate for the lag.

G

I live over 100 miles from the nearest data center and games play great with no lag. I have bee playing Split/Second and Pure, both racing games, and the look and control great.

The monthly fee was never implemented and officially dropped over a year ago.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Put Valve games on Onlive, compare against Valve games on Steam and watch people directly compare performance.

Then watch as Steam releases it's own streaming service.

Don't forget to send Onlive flowers, white lillies woule be appropriate for a funeral.

steelbox

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
I really hope Valve releases something like OnLive or even buy OnLive outright. It seams its a great company ahead of its tiome just as Valve was in the begining of its Steam "Digital Distribution" Platform. If Onlive does it right as Valve did, not beign too much scrupulous for money, it can grow and turn into a giant af gaming streaming .

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I don't see this taking off in the USA, especially with carriers getting crazy with things like caps and bandwith throttling. Maybe in other countries where they have $11 / month unlimited high speed.

djab

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
" ... they've got similar features coming out ... " what did he say ? Does it means Valve is going to release some streaming features for steam? That would be great.
Or something like the Wii U concept but with a desktop gaming PC and a laptop/tablet? Like StreamMyGames but better :)

anonymous32111

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
I don't understand.. maybe its because i refuse to hop on the iPhone/ Tablet / Net-book bandwagon. To me it seems like most of these new tablet-pc's are all touch-screen. Sure you can probably plug in a keyboard and mouse but still, doesn't cut it for me.

A few issues.. If there is a monthly subscription count me out.. already sick of every new game under the sun trying to charge absurd rates for some "DLC". For example, CoD map pack for 5 bucks. (Dont play CoD but I will use it as a cash-cow example.) I think every map should at most be worth a nickle.. the whole pack cost a quarter.. and they would still make money hand over fist.

Anyways its probably just me and my tendencies to bitch about everything, however like one comment before me mentioned, I don't see how you are going to get competitive latency when you need to stream entire games. Maybe if we had graphene switches and what not, but residential internet in the U.S really only goes up to around 50 megabits down (if your lucky enough to be in an area with fiber-service.)

Anyways I suppose I've ranted enough.. just hate to see people supporting an infrastructure based on monthly subscriptions and micro-transactions. Pay once. Play Forever. Fight the power!

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i thought they got rid of the monthly fee[/citation]
They did get rid of the monthly fee.
Now there are 2 options.
$10 a month for unlimited access to about 50 games.
OR
No montly fee and you play any game you rent or buy.

I would crap my pants if onlive would let me play the games I've already paid for on steam.

G

The fact that some people have enough time to read an article about OnLive and make stupid comments about how horrible it is before they even know anything about it is just dumb. There was NEVER a monthly fee. You DONT need a super internet connection to play, nor does it use MASSIVE amounts of bandwidth. Sure, if you play for 10 hours a day every day for a month, you MIGHT go over your cap. Most ISP's don't even care about caps. Games are WAY cheaper on OnLive, microconsole uses 6 watts of power, provides graphics on par or BETTER than consoles. And they listen to their customers, and provide pre-order specials and sale events that put ANYONE to shame in the video game industry. Get your facts straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.