Review Valve Index VR Headset and Controllers Review: First Benchmarks

Giroro

Splendid
"but if I didn’t have that matching pair I would have been forced to charge my controllers one by one or with charge plugs from different manufacturers. "

Can't you just charge the controllers with your PC? These aren't high power phones with huge batteries. The 900mA you get from USB 3.0 is probably fine to charge the controllers' 1100maH batteries in a couple hours. .

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015
"but if I didn’t have that matching pair I would have been forced to charge my controllers one by one or with charge plugs from different manufacturers. "

Can't you just charge the controllers with your PC? These aren't high power phones with huge batteries. The 900mA you get from USB 3.0 is probably fine to charge the controllers' 1100maH batteries in a couple hours. .

Yes, you can charge the controllers off your computer's USB ports, but you would need to have two USB ports free to do that. Not everyone does, including me. My test system doesn't have a front panel, so I have to rely on the ports on my motherboard, of which there are only 5.

ntsarb

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2013
Unfortunately, after a long playing session with the Valve Index (3 hours), it crashed with a gray screen, followed by loss of contact with peripherals and the error messages reported by the author of Tom's Hardware article. Very disappointing, really. Looks like there is a hardware or firmware issue, I hope it's not because of overheating, as that would be a major design/manufacturing failure of the product and impossible to resolve in practice for existing owners of the HMD.
Screenshots here: and here: View: https://imgur.com/Xi9N6S1

View: https://imgur.com/a/tKnWQ2x

Jul 1, 2019
The Valve Index VR headset and controllers offers an excellent visual experience and best-in-class tracking, and the Index controllers are the best out there.

Valve Index VR Headset and Controllers Review: First Benchmarks : Read more

I am using a modded Vive Pro with biconvex lenses designed by a company called VRinnovations. They managed to create lenses that need no software tinkering in order to get rid of distortion. The image quality has been revamped to a degree I did not think it was possible as crepuscular rays are simply gone. I would recommend doing this lense swap in order to make a recommendation based on this mod, and ask why vr manufacturers continue using fresnel lenses on their headsets.

Jul 2, 2019
I too am experiencing the overheating issue. I assume it's rare as googling the issue only pops up with this article! I'm crossing my fingers it's a firmware fix, rather than a faulty device.

Nerijus_1

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016
I am using a modded Vive Pro with biconvex lenses designed by a company called VRinnovations. They managed to create lenses that need no software tinkering in order to get rid of distortion. The image quality has been revamped to a degree I did not think it was possible as crepuscular rays are simply gone. I would recommend doing this lense swap in order to make a recommendation based on this mod, and ask why vr manufacturers continue using fresnel lenses on their headsets.
Hi, could you please give a direct link to this mod?

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I returned mine in like a week. The sound quit working after the first update and the base stations whined more then entitled teenagers. I couldn't deal with all the issues having paid so much. It was a worse experience than my old HTC Vive.

mpdugas

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Best VR setup: Vive Pro + HTC Wireless + Index Controllers + version one base stations.

Best audio, most comfortable, same FOV for those wearing glasses, same screen resolution, best controllers, V.1 bases perfectly adequate for small room space availability and wireless, (which no one else does).