Valve Introduces SteamOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

wysir

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
As a PC gamer, I like where this is going. Looking forward to more news on this. Will need to build a couch table-top for Keyboard and mouse though =)

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Gabe was talking linux but this... omg... wow... If this will be true ping and performance wise I am installing. Only thing that was stopping me from leaving windows for good were games. Go Go Gabe!

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

I would. Your argument is only valid for budget gaming PC.
And even if it's budget it's still a PC... you can do do anything with it... not being limited to crippled OS provided by console manufacturers.

P.S. All major next gen consoles are PC. x86 CPU and Radeon GPU. I guess you are stuck with WiiU.

rodbowler

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
I apologise for the double post - I'm not sure what happened. It appeared to be triggered by a simple page refresh.

teddymines

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
So will this new OS have DirectX capabilities? Just wondering how legacy games will work in this OS with graphics, file paths, etc. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding it.

NotYetRated

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
The streaming capability definitely has my interest. Main gaming PC with a bunch of horsepower in game room, but some small, efficient, inexpensive SteamBoxes in living room, theater and the bedrooms.... Desktop class PC gaming from my couch, with the gaming rig in another room? Yes please! Now, hopefully Plex will support it :)

rodbowler

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
@teddymines:
Within the current Steam Build for Linux, games use OpenGL. Performance on my system (using Linux Mint; Source games i.e. Half Life 2) looks identical to Windows and runs at a slightly faster frame rate.

Pallimud

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
The thing is, the majority of games won't work on this SteamOS. Unless the games work on Linux, they won't work on it. So we'll still need to wait and see if major titles get ported to Linux. As of now, very few games are on OSX, let alone Linux.

wysir

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
for Pallimud and others

"In-home Streaming
You can play all your Windows and Mac games on your SteamOS machine, too. Just turn on your existing computer and run Steam as you always have - then your SteamOS machine can stream those games over your home network straight to your TV!"

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

You are mistaken any game that support OpenGL right now will have painless port to this system. Which includes all UT engine games all source based games, cry engine is getting OpenGL too and many others. Knowing steam they will provide full support to all devs deciding to port the games.

Pallimud

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010

Ah! That's a nice feature for sure.

cmi86

Distinguished

But my windows PC is already hooked up to a tv.. I want steam to run all my current library on steam os

Status
Not open for further replies.