Valve, J.J. Abrams Collaborating on Movies, Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Wow, did not know that JJ was part of Cloverfield. Hated the movie and never understood why other people liked it.

I get that is was meant to look like it was made from a handy cam, but it was just painful to watch. Sorry JJ, you have just gone down a notch in my books.

[citation][nom]Hando567[/nom]Stop worrying about movies and finish HL2: EP3, and HL3![/citation]
^ this

But really VALVE don't give ur games to the film industry. They will just ruin it. If u want to get a movie made just make it urself. U said it before urself VALVE!!!!!!!!!! Just make an animated movie in Source.
I'm also disappointed why didnt Gabe consider Christopher Nolan.

G

Least it isn't BOOM Michael bay BOOM

EXPLOSIONS! BOOM, boom.

Michael bay.

law shay

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom]Awesome. Lets make some Star Trek games that don't suck![/citation]

Why was the above comment taken down ? I'm not sure about current Star Trek games.

However, JJ's Trak was the one that introduced the younger kids with the Trek legacy. I'm a big fan of TNG and Voyager yet I also like the original series a lot. Guess what? I like all TNG movies and JJ's time-travel epic.

Therefore, since Valve is very good at making games, what's wrong with making Star Trek games, which are not suck ?

law shay

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
JJ Abram is a totally capable director. He is good at First-person-accounts (Cloverfield). Thriller MI3 and MI:GP (as producer). He is good in reviving classics, long forgotten (Star Trek). He is good with 1980s kid movies (Super 8). What do you want more ?

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]anti-painkilla[/nom]Wow, did not know that JJ was part of Cloverfield. Hated the movie and never understood why other people liked it.I get that is was meant to look like it was made from a handy cam, but it was just painful to watch. Sorry JJ, you have just gone down a notch in my books.[/citation]

Still a better love story than Twilight

Even if JJ Abrams is a totally capable director, his films are nowhere near the quality of Valve's games.
If Valve itself makes an animated movie, no one has to worry about choosing appropriate actors. The animated actors will be exactly be the game characters. And Valve already has the voice actors. The animated movie will actually be more realistic and true to its origin than a realistic film.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]chimera201[/nom]Even if JJ Abrams is a totally capable director, his films are nowhere near the quality of Valve's games.[/citation]
See, what's great about that statement is that it's only your opinion. Not everyone feels that way about J.J. Abrams and I personally think a lot of J.J.'s work is excellent (LOST and Star Trek for example) and am excited to see him do what could possibly be a Half Life/Portal movie.

fightingslu

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
So HL3 will skip pc and consoles and go straight to the big screen. It will be a lot more akward having a main character with no dialouge in a movie.

[citation][nom]s3anister[/nom]See, what's great about that statement is that it's only your opinion. Not everyone feels that way about J.J. Abrams and I personally think a lot of J.J.'s work is excellent (LOST and Star Trek for example) and am excited to see him do what could possibly be a Half Life/Portal movie.[/citation]

LOST is not a movie and Star Trek is a good movie but not a top level movie like Shawshank Redemption, Dark Knight, Lord of the Rings , Inception, Matrix. When Half Life 2 & Portal 2 are top level games I cannot think this man can do a good job and keep the quality of the original games.

I haven't seen one game to movie adaptation that has succeeded.
Hitman, Max Payne , Doom , Prince of Persia Sands of Time,etc all are examples of the film industry failing at making movies out of games.

Darth_Kaar

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
I wish they would make HL Episode 3... not a movie. The idea itself is fine, but I'm not convinced that translating a game to movie world will ever work. First of all games are interactive in this sense, that player chooses way he or she wants to play. In case of movies we loose that interactivity because we follow director's vision. So it's like watching someone else playing. Fun, but it's always better to actually play the game. Secondly, even with so much impressive technical side of games, they are still limited in desribing their reality. So, we still have to imagine many thing. In case of movies, director is imposing his or her idea how the game world works, how it feels and looks. Hard to accept by fans who feel their personal game world is different.

wiggers

Honorable
May 29, 2012
JJ will be digging this. No need for a sun or light source in the background, he can just whack lens flares wherever he wants.
"Yeah plot's good, stable character development... could still do with maybe 3, or 4 more lens flares as he walks down this narrow hallway"

cotydlux

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Morgan Freeman as Eli Vance
Ed Norton or Zachary Quinto for Grodon Freeman. If the movie would take place in the future, Bryan Cranston would be a good older version of Gordon. Just my opinions

Benderoffender

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
[citation][nom]law shay[/nom]Why was the above comment taken down ? I'm not sure about current Star Trek games.However, JJ's Trak was the one that introduced the younger kids with the Trek legacy. I'm a big fan of TNG and Voyager yet I also like the original series a lot. Guess what? I like all TNG movies and JJ's time-travel epic. Therefore, since Valve is very good at making games, what's wrong with making Star Trek games, which are not suck ?[/citation]

Bridge Commander was a great game.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I personally find movies in general to be weak means of story telling. But this is generally because movies are so short on time. There are exceptions to this of course but the majority falls short. Even TV shows don't have this handicap as they can put in much more dialogue, character building, and spend appropriate amount of time on important events.

There is no doubt that video games which can now have amazing amounts of content and even have several big story-lines going on in one world at the same time with tons of smaller ones are the superior story tellers, and the fact that they are interactive and put you inside that story makes it feel truly alive. No movie could match that.

ringzero

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
I'm not as big a fan of JJ Abrams as most people, but this is so amazing I can barely stand it. Frankly the idea of a Portal movie by ANYONE is so freaking hilarious that I will drop money on that sh*t no matter how bad it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.