Valve Kills Talk About Selling to Nexon, NCsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valve being bought out, ugh...I shiver at that thought. Valve is so successful as a company I don't see why they would sell out to another company. I love Valve and Steam; be a real shame to see something happen.

uglynerdman

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
I wish Valve steam would buy Bioware from EA. i really dont like EA and their business model of over expensiveness the deluxe mass effect digital? 80 bucks. wt... it makes me fear that ea is corrupting games like dragon age and ultimately masseffect already showed signs of EA influence in me2. the story is great. the way they make you buy dlc to feel like ur getting a full game instead of an expansion isnt cool.

Burodsx

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Glad to hear that this is Valve's stance on selling. So tired of companies like EA acquiring companies and ruining the games.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]uglynerdman[/nom]I wish Valve steam would buy Bioware from EA. i really dont like EA and their business model of over expensiveness the deluxe mass effect digital? 80 bucks. wt... it makes me fear that ea is corrupting games like dragon age and ultimately masseffect already showed signs of EA influence in me2. the story is great. the way they make you buy dlc to feel like ur getting a full game instead of an expansion isnt cool.[/citation]

Bioware is already ruined. Brent Knowles because of the direction DA2 was going, Drew left early this year and he has set the storylines for many of Bioware's games.

And now the founders left and even defended the fans who were critical of the past few games they released.

Bioware is gone.

Now back to topic, Of course Valve wasn't going to be sold to anyone. Hell neither company has the money to even buy Valve.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Where's the picture of GabeN with the minigun? It just enhances the article when one see's him in all his BAMF glory.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
I have a feeling that meeting might have been related to the recent "F2P" or "P2W" titles that were released by Nexon that were put on Steam. (maplestory, Combat Arms, etc.) I know that a few of them run pretty bad on steam which could explain why they might meet.

But, going back to the rummor of EA trying to buy Valve/steam. I lol at it given that there was a rumor that Nexon was trying to buyout EA a while back.

Was their talks by EA, NCsoft, and or Nexon to buy out Valve/Steam? It's possable, but doubtful given Gabe's public stance on selling out the company.

lasttimeii

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
Nexon = worse company ever funny how hey try and try to patch hacks like god mode and a few days later hackers get it working on maplestory/combatarm i use to love playing maplestory and combatarm but its just sad if it would be like battlefield 3 it wold be perfect for me to play again , sure bf3 has hackers but not like nexon thats one of the bad thing about f2p get banned make new accounts battlefield 3 get banned pay 20$+,i prefer a pay 2 play game anytime then f2p that's just me :)

G

I can just imagine the conversation between Nexon or NCsoft and Valve:
"Hey, we want to buy your company."
"Do you have $3 billion handy?"
"Uhh...never mind, then."

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
With so many "rumors" popping up and so frequently, one cannot help but think about the possibility of some kind of deal happening at one point or another. Then it comes back to the point of how great of an acquisition Valve would be, these guys are a huge target for just about any major company. Gabe says what he does though and I have faith in his word because he has a heck of a lot more credibility than anyone else in this industry. It's too bad we can't multiply guys like this and place them at the helm of many other companies, ethics and morality are sorely missing these days.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Steam had the right idea that online distribution would become the de-facto method for buying your games and years before anyone else, of course other people want to buy them out when they didn't think it was a safe bet all those years ago, of course they want to buy into it now whilst market share can only get bigger. Rightly so Steam should tell potential buyers to get bent. Offers to buy from major players arise only because they see a multiple return on investment, if they plan to buy for a billion it means they expect to see returns of several billion. Gabe can keep all that cheddar for himself if he just stays his course.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
With how poisonous the big publishers have been (EA, Activi$ion) I don't see many great companies selling out any time soon, especially now when there's crowd funding like Kickstarter. What happened to Bioware - a company that has been long hailed for making some of THE best series and RPG - should be an example to everyone else.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Every company should have an exit strategy...[/citation]
well the exit strategy is precisely, gabe will carry the company until the moment of ruin if it were ever to come.

closure of the company you love with your dignity > money and big publisher milking your old companies name(bioware, IW, RARE(FU M$)).

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Guild wars 2 did not need steam to sell over 3 million digital copies. But it would have been more convenient to have them sell it on Steam.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
Nexon, at least Nexon NA is a horrible horrible company. I like Mabinogi, I wished it were managed by a better company that actually cared about the community instead of how take another $ from the players.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Secondly, I understand you are a youngster, but what does bioware and infinity ward have to do with MS? Also this isn't Valve the video game company anymore. It's Valve, the owner of Steam - the biggest digital distribution platform in all the land. If you are still holding onto Valve as a publisher/developer, well lol to you.[/citation]

Hasten, the joke is on you brah because He is right on saying FU microsoft. Microsoft bought out Rare as he stated in (FU msft). Go back to internet school.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Secondly, I understand you are a youngster, but what does bioware and infinity ward have to do with MS? Also this isn't Valve the video game company anymore. It's Valve, the owner of Steam - the biggest digital distribution platform in all the land. If you are still holding onto Valve as a publisher/developer, well lol to you.[/citation]
M$ in parenthesis was meant for RARE alone. Im thinking of valve as a company as in not just owner of steam, but also developer and innovator in the pc gaming business. if you think theyre JUST the owners of steam, then youre a fool. youre not really getting how important an object can be to some people. to gabe and the people working at valve, the company is not just a bag of money but it is something they care for. If the extremely improbable moment would come that Valves popularity hits such a low that any person would consider immediate sellout, I believe Gabe would close down the company.

youd have to look at valve as more of an emotional attachment than a business to understand precisely what Gabes been saying.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Again. lol. It is a business with one goal, to make money. He has run it as such. If not we would have HL3 or at least the promised Episode 3. Basically spit on all the long time Valve fans (you were 7 when HL was released and likely don't understand the change of the company over time). They utilize blind loyalty almost as well as Apple.[/citation]
ooooooh, so youre just mad because they havent announced HL3? no need to pull that retarded older = better joke, or "youre too young to understand" garbage. as far as game developement, they are still very relevant because (in case youve been living under a rock) theyve released quite a few games and constantly update them in the last 4-5 years after HLep2. no need to insult young people just because youre old.

A business with its only goal of making money is damn depressing. A business should really also be about passion for your work. ever heard of the term "make profit by doing what you like"?

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Again. lol. It is a business with one goal, to make money. He has run it as such. If not we would have HL3 or at least the promised Episode 3. Basically spit on all the long time Valve fans (you were 7 when HL was released and likely don't understand the change of the company over time). They utilize blind loyalty almost as well as Apple.[/citation]
I completely agree with your last sentence and I gotta give it to Gabe, he's been doing it remarkably well the last couple of years and no one seems to realize what he's truly doing

Status
Not open for further replies.