News Valve May Launch Chinese-Specific Version of Steam Next Week

I'm a little confused. Does this mean that a version of the client specifically made for China will be made, or will they finally make Chinese users connect to a database or something that's "government approved"? Because I'm pretty sure Steam already blocks game availability by region.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
I'm a little confused. Does this mean that a version of the client specifically made for China will be made, or will they finally make Chinese users connect to a database or something that's "government approved"? Because I'm pretty sure Steam already blocks game availability by region.
It means there will only be one license for every game available and that the first sucker to buy each game will be the only person paying for it, while everyone else will get a fully working pirated copy of the initial purchase.

Reactions: hotaru.hino

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Taking a "disinterested third party perspective", seems a smart move for them to make money. HUGE market potential. Chinese users already acclimated to their internet environment, so a native environment for gaming is a boon for them.

Hope that corporate severability and other legal/cyber/intellectual property agreements are clearly established.

nuvon

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
It means there will only be one license for every game available and that the first sucker to buy each game will be the only person paying for it, while everyone else will get a fully working pirated copy of the initial purchase.
Are you implying that Steam software engineers are so stupid that their games can be pirated easily? or that you are the dumb one?

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
"Feb 3, 2021 (AP) US 'deeply disturbed' by systematic rape, abuse of Uighurs in China "reeducation" camps...."

Just one of about 100,000 reasons. If Valve has received the PRC stamp of approval for operating in China, then it has acceded to their demands for censorship and content control, and essentially operating as a propaganda wing of the party. Sometimes the extra market share just isn't worth it.

"Feb 3, 2021 (AP) US 'deeply disturbed' by systematic rape, abuse of Uighurs in China "reeducation" camps...."

Just one of about 100,000 reasons. If Valve has received the PRC stamp of approval for operating in China, then it has acceded to their demands for censorship and content control, and essentially operating as a propaganda wing of the party. Sometimes the extra market share just isn't worth it.
Very valid reasons. But unfortunately money talks and that market is huge.

With that said, are you sure you're not using any products made in China? Odds are if you're able to post on this forum you are using an electronic device made in China.

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
That said, are you sure you're not using any products made in China?
I'm sure I am. However, a Chinese motherboard outrages me less than a company that actively participates in censoring information or other unethical behaviors. I did without Google entirely* while their Dragonfly project was active.

(* Hello, Bing...)