Valve Officially Reveals List of Steam Machine Partners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Often very small form factor, console like size. However it still features (mostly) full fledged desktop performance. Also, it is running steam OS by default. Else there isn't much difference. Unsure if you get the controller with the steam machine though.

peterson99

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
it comes with steam os out of the box and a steam controller. In other words this is more meant for people who don't assemble there own computers.

vider

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Steam, if your reading this.... FOR CRYING OUT LOUD FIX THE CURRENT ISSUES THAT YOU ALREADY HAVE REGARDING THE THOUSANDS OF INCOMPATIBILITIES AND ISSUES THAT HAVE BEEN RAISED BY YOUR CUSTOMER BASE AND FIX IT! Then when you've fixed that, MAYBE will have some faith in this machine, till then count my money out!

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013

Size of the case. Same pc hardware, but these cases are purpose built for the exact parts inside. You can Build a small ITX system yourself but at this point, Noone of them are as small as the Alienware case for example. As for the operating system, Unlike the Xbox or playstation OS, SteamOS is a free download and is open to anyone to install on a system.

I Hate Nvidia

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
What is the point of a steam machine?? call me retard or M$ fanboy or anything else ,still I can't understand why I should buy a machine to stream my windows games to my HDTV ,I can already do that with WiDi ,some may say that these machinese can be used to play games made for Steam OS ,which means Linux games ,again ,does that justify paying a premium to play a very limited ( or extremly limited infact) library of old ,indi or B ranked titles?Ok ,Steam OS is great and Steam Machines rocks and all ,but as most gamers nowdays are interested in some titles that Steam does'nt even distirbute in the first place ,infact 2 of the most important games in the last deacde ( Battle Field and Star Craft) are not available on Steam ,and as I heard ( I don't remeber so please don't ask me when and where) UbiSoft is preparing its own Steam-Like network ,so the three major PC games distirbuters will not release thier games on Steam ( Blizzard have Battle.net ,EA Origin ,and soon Ubi).So please for the God sake ,any one can tell me why I should buy a Steam Machine??!!

ferooxidan

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
I'm not sold into these things. In early days of development, I saw images of Valve's own Steam Box with their own casing and all. Now this? It's just basically all their own brands custom PC installed with Steam OS and come with the controller. That's all.Even worse, the price is very way off from the "competing with consoles" value.Here's some real pictures and better list than in this articles:http://jagatplay.com/2014/01/news/valve-umumkan-14-varian-steam-machine-pertama/*in bahasa, from local websitecome on people?!Falcon NW - TIKI? Material.net using fractal design case (even the logo still there, not steam logo), Maingear own mini custom pc build, Webhallen using bitfenix phenom (again with bitfenix logo), Zotac's Zbox, Gigabyte's BRIX, BOLT 2, etc.It is basically their own custom build, right? and their hefty price. God...It is basically just like Android in the form of custom build PCs. Lots of smartphones brand with their own spec, running the same Android OS and their own pricing.I better off building my own mini ITX build and install Steam OS if I want a taste of it (heck, one of them is using BitFenix and fractal design cases) than paying a hefty price for their custom build scam. Yes I do believe Valve has a very good intention about bringing PC gaming into the living room, but with all this hype, manufacturers of custom build PC basically just using this momentum to sell more and more of their existing product under the name of "Steam Box". Marketing scam to me.

ferooxidan

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
In addition to that, what the heck happened to all those articles telling Valve was developing prototypes of Steam Machine? (Prototype Hardware, not the OS). Now it is more like they ditch their own "boxes" (or prototype), keep the controller, and licensing their OS to custom PC manufacturers. All my expectation gone. Where's the earlier innovation from the very first articles about Steam Machine? Where is their own box that get teared down in the previous articles? Where is the spirit of competing with consoles value with all of this bullshit about high end price tag from existing products of custom pc manufacturers putting a steam logo (or fractal design and bitfenix) and installed Steam OS in it? Now I lose all motivation to try steam os at all. I better off with my own PC or build my own mini ITX based if I want to update my rig. I used to love Valve, now I only love Dota 2.

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
In the Long run, with the right licensing deals and enough developer support, i Can see SteamOS being a massive success, giving PC gamers a proper alternative to windows. The problem is, despite how i excited i was when first revealed, i cant see the Steambox Business model making money. This is a big gamble for Valves partners and the main reason i think valve has chosen to not build their own hardware. It reminds me of the state of android and phones right now. I seem to remember reading an article that said Only the top flagship companies like Samsung make any money using android. Even companies like HTC are struggling to break even. For a big company with many different income streams, Like samsung, it could absorb any loses. But small fry wont last long. Sadly i can see some of these partners struggling, even costing them a Business if they put too many eggs in this basket.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
The only version that appeals to me is the Cyberpower one. The rest of them are highly overpriced. these things only need a i5 CPU and a GTX 760 or AMD 270 and 8 gigs or ram. That's it16 ROPS for 1080p gaming is all we need. even 770's are OP for the usage case

ferooxidan

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
@DavidDewis: this is just like Android for PC right? And yes, I too believe that some of them will be struggling. We can download Steam OS for free and with that hefty price, it is the same as buying a custom build PC. Maybe only those which have decent spec and decent price in "decent" small casing will survive this game and attract consumers who don't have time or skills to make their own build. Generally speaking, for people who don't understand PC components, it is actually a good deal for em to have a PC and "console" at the same time with a decent price (for select brands only) and saving them the confusion of building their own rig and their money from buying custom/prebuild pc/desktop.

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
It's going to be funny when this flops hard. Most pc gamers will build their own or buy a brand name and modify it. Steam machines don't even have windows installed so you can only play opengl games on it. Pc are used for other things besides gaming which is the reason why you can justify paying over a thousand dollars for it. Who is this marketed to anyways?

I saw the title and I was high with hopes until I read "List of Steam Machine Partners".When I saw "Valve Officially Reveals" I was thinking, OH YAY Half Life 3!!!!until I read the rest of the title and was let down huge... : (Why I won't buy a steam box...I have a PC connected to my TV. I don't need it to be small to make me happy. I like my Antec 300 box. It's the perfect balance of cheap and AWESOME.

itsnotmeitsyou

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Valve is creating an OS. The hardware companies are piggybacking to produce streamlined hardware for people who don't build their own systems. Valve is encouraging the production of hardware for people who arent tech savvy to enable them to switch, but Valve is not trying to break into the hardware business. This is about creating an environment that is conducive to moving away from a dependency on Windows and MS licensing for driver support and DirectX.Of course there are going to be hiccups. Of COURSE you can just build your own. And if you dont like SteamOS on a steam-box, YOU CAN INSTALL WINDOWS! which you CANT do with any consoles. The $500 pricepoint machines as listed above are *maybe* $50 more than what you could build your own for, but are you getting streamlined hardware, or cheap hardware? Anyone can slap a mobo in a $20 case with a 350 watt Pee Sof Chit PSU and call it "less expensive."Haters gunna hate. Gabe knows whats up. More power to him, and I look forward to catching his vision and having a performance open-source OS.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
The Difference between a Steam PC and a Custom Pc is that the Steam PC is built by pc companys so that un confident people don't have to try to build one. And the Steam PC doesn't come with Windows, it has steam software only. And the Steam machine costs you about 40 percent more than if you built it yourself.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
The Difference between a Steam PC and a Custom Pc is that the Steam PC is built by pc companys so that un confident people don't have to try to build one. And the Steam PC doesn't come with Windows, it has steam software only. And the Steam machine costs you about 40 percent more than if you built it yourself.

Nothing. That's the point. Some people want to just buy the hardware already setup and running. Others, like myself, would like to design the system themselves.

Funny thing is you don't even need SteamOS for it to be a Steam Machine, just Steam in big picture mode and a wireless controller. I do want to buy one of VALVes new controllers to see how well it works as it looks interesting though.

Status
Not open for further replies.