Valve Partners With GameStop, EB Games, And GAME UK For Steam Section In Stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Looking good. I'd certainly consider one of these after all the issues with PS4 and especially the XBox One. Now, all they need is support for NVMe SSD/M.2 and HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.3

Remember you can easily make your own Steam Machine, the OS is free. So you can make it support whatever you want.

I am a bit worried though. Hopefully it works out and is not a waste of money. Most people who go to these places tend to normally be console gamers.

It would be great if this pushed PC gaming back into the mainstream eye. I hate seeing barely a single sided shelf dedicated to PC games when there are so many more. Then again that is what Steam is for.

Most people download PC games anymore, rarely do they buy the disks. Though personally, I always prefer a CD-ROM if available.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Steam is yucky on a mechanical HDD, especially when a bunch of big game updates seem to roll in at once. I have watched it thrash the heck out of a HDD while patching games very slowly, and I don't ever want that again. Do these support a standby + automatic updates mode like the current consoles? Otherwise I pity anyone buying one of these prebuilts... better to build your own and use an SSD. Even a cheap SSD would be worlds better.

ninjustin

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
If anyone considers the lowest price Alienware machine I recommend adding another 4gb of ram. A SSD is nice too but the ram will let you run any current game out there. The specs are the same as the current Alienware Alpha.

ZippyPeanut

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Steam Machines: the story that won’t go away. The only story about Steam Machines that is newsworthy is the following:

“Gabe Newell’s ongoing anger at Microsoft and Windows continues to motivate him to push forward on the lame-brained Linux-based Steam Machines. Not since Howard Hughes’s H-1 Hercules has there been such a monumental boondoggle. We now know why so much effort was put into excavating all the Atari E.T. cartridges in Alamogordo, New Mexico: to make room for all the Steam Machines.”

-----------
i7 3770K OC @ 4.2Ghz / ASRock Extreme 4 Z77 / evga FTW 670 2X-SLI / Creative SB Audigy SE PCI Sound Card / 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 / 500GB Samsung EVO 850 (boot) / 128 GB OCZ Vertex 4 / 2 TB WD Caviar Black / 2 TB Seagate Barracuda / Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System / LG 14X Blu-ray R/W / Corsair 1000w PSU / AzzA Genesis 9000 full tower / Windows 7 Professional 64 / 144hz 1ms 24-inch Asus monitor / Logitech Z906 Surround Sound

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I keep on wonder why, why would you run games that are not console on a PC that looks like console what is the appeal here? or is this for people who don't know what PC's can do, a sucker is born every day, "hey look ma, I bought a console that plays PC games, ain't that neet."

Status
Not open for further replies.