Valve Steam system statistics

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I fired up a trusty game of CS tonight and found a survey to send in of my system specs.

I figured some of you might be interested in taking a quick look at the global stats.

<A HREF="http://www.steampowered.com/status/survey.html" target="_new">Link</A>

Pretty common results. Lots of Geforce 2/4MX cores, tons of GF4Tis. Good number of R300+ cored stuff.
I wouldve been part of the 9800 statistic in the past but contributed to the GF4Ti for now.
This is probably a typical average 'non-enthusiast' gamer poll.
Just lots of people who play CS (and rather rudely at that heh).
But it does go to show that they arent going to stop catering low end game settings to at least work on NV15 stuff.
I wonder if HL2 will run@ 640x480 at min. settings on a GF4MX? I would hope so.
Otherwise they will make all those HL/CS players using crap cards will have to upgrade.
Not that this would be a friggin crime.. NV15 is how old.. (not a question)

Please dont take this opportunity to diss on my CS. :frown:
I enjoy it, just happens to run on slower hardware also... its a great game. Its not Yahoo Dominos for gods sake.
Go easy.

----
Reject religon, embrace Jesus
Support the terrorists, vote democrat
NV/AMD/IBM axis of evil team leader
RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
the only reason CS is still popular and exists. People have shitty computer and GF4 MXs = = or else everyone would be playing Unreal 2k4 and Call of Duty and Far cry and HL2 and Doom3. CS? what's that? oh, you mean that pixelated shiit?

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy
never tried to go crazy when it comes to o/cing.
THGC's resident Asian and Graphics Forum's resident nVboy :D

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Very true.

----
RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
CS? what's that? oh, you mean that pixelated shiit?

I dont know, you havent posted your photo on the THG album yet.

----
RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Dont mind him hes just posting flamebait.
I still enjoy going back and playing games there were released in 1986.
Its all about the gameplay, not the bling.

People who only play the latest shooters just to show off their video card are missing out.
There are so many great mods available for steam..DOD... Natural Selection has been one I've been playing mostly lately.

----
RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
CS is one of the fastest games out there. All the others I get bored running, here u constantly have to be looking around and gotta have lightning fast reflexes (esp if u us scouts like me...)

The one and only "Monstrous BULLgarian!"

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
Unreal is even faster, except its unrealistic.
BF1942, COD, MOH, AA all are better alternatives. Sure people like us have the hardware to run games like those. Majority of the people don't, that's why so many of them plays CS, its one FPS that they can play on their MX400 without lagging.

120% nVidia Fanboy

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
u2k4 sucks ass man, its not even the same type of game play. far cry, hl2, doom3? oh thats right their not even out yet dummy, of couse no one is playing them. you think cs is pixelated? do you even know what that means? i dont think you do, i think you just want a game that will show off your techno penis, loser

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring (optional) cheating death!

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
dude, you cant seriously think that game is any improvment over the origional unreal tournament. or even better than quake for that matter. theres nothing special, just two more scenarios that are worthless. i played about 50 times doing that link map, EVERY single time the first team to get control of the middle node won. there was no exception. thats just bad game play if the losing team has no hope of coming back. i can imagine that game would be fun in a lan with people you know all working as a team, but on the internet with random jerks its no fun. and that convoy, what a joke. none of the weapons are any good, come on, 15 shots with the flak cannon to kill some one with armor? the vehicles they added are pretty cool but the weapons on them are lame. not to mention the lag, with 80 ping my shots never go where they are supposed to. in that respect it is far behind counter strike. not saying that cs is free from problems..

splenda20

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
I can understand people arguing about video cards, but not games. With video cards, there's always a card that is definitively better and one that is worse. Whereas with games it's all about personal preference, so anyone calling someone an "idiot" for liking a game that they don't, is simply an idiot!

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
If you like team based shooters and counter strike but would like to see better graphics, click my signature. NWO has been out for more than a year now, about a year in the US. As it is not very popular its probably hard to come by but there's a fully functional demo for grabs that is only restricted in the number of available maps. Even after a year, the gfx are still WOW, and the game play is awesome. Why isnt it popular? It started off with loads of bugs, and once these were fixed, the distribution of the game was lousy. Biggest disadvantage: No mapping support.

ps: if you are really desperate to get your hands on a copy of the full game but cant find it, contact me.

BigMac

<A HREF="http://www.p3int.com/product_center_NWO_The_Story.asp" target="_new">New World Order</A>

cleeve

Illustrious
UT2004 isn't the same or realistic, but I certainly wouldn't say it sucks.

For pure fun factor, if you've got 20 minutes to blow I can't think of a better game than online onslaught.

Here's the Inquirer's take on it all;

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14594" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14594</A>

Not going to bother mentioning my views on CS. :evil:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

I won't go into what games suck, usually ads to flame wars (crispy bastardz!).

However it is interesting that the thing I missed most from HALO on the PC, co-operative play, will once again be missing on the PC version of D]|[. Freakin' XBOX, what the point, crappy platform gets all the great features!?!

<A HREF="http://www.techreport.com/onearticle.x/6398" target="_new">http://www.techreport.com/onearticle.x/6398</A>

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
i listed current alternatives
BF1942, COD, MOH, AA
CS has crappy graphics, are you not admitting to that?

120% nVidia Fanboy

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
You are wrong!

CS is still popular, because it is easy to learn and hard to master...

CS is so good, because this MOD was made by GAMER for GAMER and you complain about system requirement for this game! But it's why this game is still popular, because anyone can play it, you don't need the latest GPU to have load of FUN with it!

CS will be remembered for decades! This is a REAL DAMN GOOD MULTIPLAYER game!

--
Would you buy a GPS enabled soap bar?

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i admit they are old, but i wouldnt say crappy. the textures are poor, and the movement of the players is redementary but its not bad. ive never played any of those other games, other people i know have and always come back to counter strike. the graphics of the newer games isnt bad, but they just look like cartoons.

Whatever Dude!

TETRIS Rulz ALL!

So many Blocks, So many Colours, And that Funky Music!

256 colours and 8bit sound, Rockin' it Old School!

Seriously, Wake up and Smell the 80's buddy! :tongue:

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
that's what i'm saying!! People play CS because they can run it. It's like why Tetris is so popular. Its an addictive game that you can play everywhere. Now if everyone had better systems, they will look at other games instead of just playing CS because they can't run the newer games without lagging.

120% nVidia Fanboy

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
The 80's stunk man I was there I think I still got some cloths from that god awful era.

Xeon

<font color=orange>Scratch Here To Reveal Prize</font color=orange>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
This is ridiculous.

People play CS because they can run it.
I dont run Solitaire. I can run it.

It's like why Tetris is so popular.
No, its not why Tetris is so popular.
People like it. It is fun.

Don't be retarded, not all people play games because of graphics.

Not everyone who upgrades their system forces themselves to play newer games for the graphics or becuase they can.

<b>Most people play what they enjoy, if they like a game that runs laggy... they upgrade their system so they can.</b>

You're generalizing too much.

Thanks for hijacking the thread, when I specifically stated that CS-haters should not post in reply to the original post to spout their retarded crap.

----
RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR