Valve Temporarily Shuts Down Steam Holiday Auction

Status
Not open for further replies.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
People were obviously duping gems from the start. A single card is typically 10 gems, the highest I saw was 100. People were bidding in the millions of gems for a single game. That tells you right there they were duping.

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
What is funny too people were transferring cards that could sell combined for more than the game they were bidding on. Why convert $30-$40 worth of cards (potentially) for a $20 game? Pretty silly.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
top bid was 1,340,000 gems,

i looked at my cards and saw 10 gems each, a few were 220-400 but mostly 6-20 and decided that the auction was stupid as hell and not worth my time.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Duping exploits are nothing new. I've seen this happen years ago in Asheron's Call where it's a common problem when they roll out a new monthly patch. Players always found a way to cheat and dupe items very early which ruins it for everybody else. They would roll the servers back to it's previous pre-patched state losing the quest items for the day. So in a nutshell we all lose.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
well i like the idea but i rather pay 15-20 euro and play a 4 month old game for 1 day then spend a hole day on bidding on a game i can simply buy, steam is dirt cheap vs console so i will not bother my time. time is money friends !

ddt529

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I love Steam...but this is their worst event yet. I redeemed some cards and barely made 900 gems. Not worth it at all. Hope Steam reimburses players that wasted their cards. Go back to winter event achievements. That was far more fun and gave me reason to play some games that would normally rot in my account.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
So Valve should set the example for ALL OTHER COMPANIES TO FOLLOW (Origin and Ubisoft...are you listening?) is to not only permanently ban the individual's account, but also ban their actual identity and personal method of payment so they can't set up a second account using another alias. And when I say permanently ban, I mean they lose EVERYTHING associated with their account. All games would be forfeited, regardless of the specifics of the violation. Add this to the EULA for all new accounts and you are set. The penalty for being caught cheating will be zero tolerance. Make the price so high for getting caught doing something illegal or against the EULA. This type fo policy may no completely rid the world of hackers and exploiters, but it sure is a damn good start to something better than what is in place now.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

why? i dont care that some people screwed up an event that is meant to drive the price of cards up a bit so valve makes even more money... if anything ban them from community aspects, not the games.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Ninjawithagun said: is to not only permanently ban the individual's account, but also ban their actual identity and personal method

the problem is steam is not perfect and if a false or error occurs you will lose so much. its impossible to make a system like this and make it 100% secure. how fun is it if some how the site double logged your bet making you look like a cheater the next day all your 250 games are locked and it tells you you are banned from steam ? and it will probably take you 1-2 weeks to even play games. i am up to 2,5 weeks to get rockstar games social club to activate my max pain 3 cuss they thought it necessary to lock the account to a lose social club account and now it will not take my cd key. ill soon turn to torrentz if this cant get resolved, 3 weeks tomorrow in waiting time for a paid game. rockstar why do you try so hard to make me hate you ?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

i have a total of 923 games right now, and i haven't pirated anything for... id like to say a good 4 years that you can get through legitimate means. you take my steam account away and i would never buy a game again because of how hard the system would have screwed me over, and no, im not saying i wouldn't play games ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.