Valve Wants to Pull Players Off CS 1.6 with CS: GO

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
I just don't see it happening, they will need to make the greatest game of all time in order to pull die-hard 1.6 and source players from their respective games.

Gamer-girl

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
Possibly one of the big selling points of Global Offensive is a possible support for cross-platform play between the Mac, PC and PlayStation 3.
Other games have also tried this, a controller won't win over a mouse and keyboard.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
There's no way you can completely migrate all of your players over to a new game like that after so long.

Look at StarCraft, still played by millions and used in tournaments around the world.

utengineer

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
I appreciate the fact they want to get input from the veterans. I hope they spend a lot of time in doing this too. I am going to have my time consumed playing BF3, MW3, and SWTOR. So by the time I have played the hell out of those games, CSGO will be hitting the internet.

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
First thing, CS is not 11 years old, it's 12 and 1.6 was not the first Counter-Strike. Way to go Toms. Miss those WON days :(

I think it's awesome they are taking extreme lengths from the community for ideas with CS:GO. But, from what I have heard, it's doesn't feel like 1.6 nor Source, so I don't see it going over extremely well with he hardcore players. Plus, the fact that you can't choose "keyboard only" servers, PC and console players are mashed together. I just hope there are enough cries from the community for this not the be a reality. UT3 for PS3 had the option for M/KB or M/KB and Controller (and could be wrong, but think there was an option for only controller as well. Been too many years since I played it) Migrated away from PC only gaming in 2007 with my PS3.

But, i did used to be "that CS guy", but played the BF series, Quake, etc. I would NEVER play an FPS with a controller, but the PS3 made me see otherwise. Once you get used to it, it's just as fun as with a mouse and keyboard. But yes, there is more CONTROL with a mouse. Also, you would be surprised how fun it is to play UT3 on the PS3 with M/KB and Controller players together, but it is still unbalanced and not a competitive environment.

I will just hold all my judgements till CS:GO is released and I have a chance to play it. From the videos I have seen, it does have most of the audio from Counter-Strike, so there is still that CS "feel", but it doesn't look it plays the same.

Until the Beta is released, I think we all should hold out judgements. I just hope it's not too console-ized.

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
...but it doesn't look like it plays the same.*

Damn no edit button ;)

Actually, also wanted to add that I migrated somewhat away from 1.6 with Condition Zero. It played the exact same as 1.6, but had updated textures and maps. It did "feel" a little different, but was CS none the less.

Also, the riot shield was the worst iteration to the game ever ;)

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Gamer-girl[/nom]Other games have also tried this, a controller won't win over a mouse and keyboard.[/citation]
Except for the fact that CS:GO will allow KB/M controls on consoles, so that wont really be a factor.

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Just make the same maps, characters, weapons in one game. Add a turn on/off feature for using old and new graphics. I bet 3/4 of the players will download the new game, of course 1/4 didn't upgrade their x486 yet :)

Spyker2041

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
"There's no way you can completely migrate all of your players over to a new game like that after so long.

Look at StarCraft, still played by millions and used in tournaments around the world."
I agree with this statement, 1.6 will still be played for a long time yet. LONG LIVE 1.6!!!

This is preatty much like starcraft 2 over broodwar. Some people just wont play something they belive "is worse".
In my books, the unification of a shooter is a bit easier than an RTS transition, but i still think some people jsut wont be interested.

kryojenix

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Yeah, I never saw the appeal of Counter-Strike. Half-Life is where it's at for me. Portal was an interesting aside. Would be good to combine those two. Counter-strike ... just dunno. I must be anti-social.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Cross-platform? Didn't Microsoft do a study on this to see if games could be cross platform between Xbox and PC? If my memory served right they asked the best Xbox players to participate and they got raped by average PC gamers.

Also pulling away from 1.6 won't happen unless it has the same gameplay. CS:S was dumbed down to spray and pray and lacked core things like shooting through walls (depending on the gun's fire power).

jungleboogiemonster

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
I love Counter Strike, but haven't played in years and really miss the game I'll definitely check out CS:GO, but I hope it's not like Call of Duty's multi-player which is filled with foul mouthed racist 10 year olds. That's a deal killer for me.

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]Eman25th[/nom]Hope they do cross platform, would love to smash some console players.[/citation]

Wow seriously they will have the short end of the stick. This is CS, the most skilled and twitchiest players on the planet are on it... Poor noobs will be slaughtered.

Imagine a 10+years CS veteran vs A CoD kid.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Possibly one of the big selling points of Global Offensive is a possible support for cross-platform play between the Mac, PC and PlayStation 3.

"Hey you just bought a new Mac? Awesome, so can it play Crys...i mean Counter Strike?"

Imagine the fun :)

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
CS 1.6 was, and still is, where it's at out of the CS games. You WILL have a hard time pulling players from 1.6, and GO will honestly have to be better than BF3 for you to get me off of 1.6.

I can still remember the countless school hours wasted (let's face it, wisely spent)on 1.6, and the laughs we had when the bots' aimbot absolutely destroyed us. I love 1.6 too much to get off it.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]bennaye[/nom]CS 1.6 was, and still is, where it's at out of the CS games. You WILL have a hard time pulling players from 1.6, and GO will honestly have to be better than BF3 for you to get me off of 1.6. I can still remember the countless school hours wasted (let's face it, wisely spent)on 1.6, and the laughs we had when the bots' aimbot absolutely destroyed us. I love 1.6 too much to get off it.[/citation]
CS is absolute proof that better graphics do not equal better gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.