Valve Working on Secret TF2 Project; Fans Want HL3

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
wow, they dont want a game, they just want you to talk to them... follow up on info... damn... most respectfull protest so far... and this comes on how douchey valve is treating its half life fans, teaseing things all the time... only to yell a big nope every time to every rumor and to every sign...

i dont like fps games much, only a few ever dragged me into them for long, and halflife and half life 2 werent one of them... mainly due to game breaking bugs with half life 2

serious sam
serious sam second encounter
their hd counter parts
battle field bad company 2 multiplayer
black light tango down
black light retribution (im in beta)
painkiller
golden eye
perfect dark

those are the only fps games that sucked me in, that i can remember... each of them i played for over 24 hours

i tend to enjoy mindless killing to puzzle fps games i guess.

G

If they were going to do Half Life 3 on the Source Engine I imagine they would have done it 3 years ago. So maybe this year they will release a Team Fortress 3 running on a new Engine, Source 2.0 if you will, and then release HL3 on it in late 2013.

Hax0r778

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]If they were going to do Half Life 3 on the Source Engine I imagine they would have done it 3 years ago. So maybe this year they will release a Team Fortress 3 running on a new Engine, Source 2.0 if you will, and then release HL3 on it in late 2013.[/citation]

If you knew anything about the source engine you would realize that it is being constantly updated. It is meaningless to talk about source 1.0 or source 2.0. (http://www.develop-online.net/features/1191/Valve-on-Source-and-studio-culture)

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
will be HFL3 with DX11.1 requirements 3way sli/crossfire to get 80FPS? or might be the same old engine DX9? or maybe they have just forgotten about the game?

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
OMG Tom's, Thanks for deleting my post after logging in. :fou:GRRR! Anyways I'll try to retype it if my tired mind can manage to do so.

I am proud to say that I took part in the event Saturday morning by starting a new play-trough of HL:2 and we did manage to get into the top 11th spot for the most played games on Saturday. Although I am sorry to says Tom's that once again you have made a major error in your information. I have no idea where you got the number of 31,500!?! But, we did manage to get a max of 13,216 simutainious players on Saturday and the group that organized the event "A Call for Communication (Half-Life) (HL-CFC)" has 50,045 Members at the time of writing this.

Please Tom's(and Mr. Kevin Parrish) give Half Life the respect it deserves and correct your hasty mistakes. The correct information is even in the link you provided in your own article. FYI - This was not a protest, it was a call for communication ( go figure eh, :lol: ) and the event was from 11am PST until you or your schedule didn't allow for your to continue playing, there was never a 30min. window.

may1

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]TF2 sucks. No wonder it's FtP. It's meant for teenagers.[/citation]

Though I agree to some extent, you've just set the fanboyz on fire.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
TF2 was vaporware for the better part of a decade before being here. I trust that Valve will deliver HL3, and it will be awesome... for a few short minutes, right before the universe freezes completely.

anonymous32111

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
"We can't tell you what it is, because [the team] won't tell us, but what they WILL say is that it isn't a hat, it isn't a map, and go away," reads the official Team Fortress blog. "From this we can only conclude that the TF2 team is working on some ungodly hat-map hybrid that you can wear on your head while you run around in it. You heard it here first. Also last, because they just told us it's not that either. But it's really cool."

Hehehe, first time TomsRageware has made me laugh in a while.. good article. Although I disagree I think it WILL be the hat-map hybrid.

In all seriousness now, I am still playing Team Fortress Classic.. TF2 is just too whimsical for me; please give us Half-Life, nobody cares about Team Fortress (even though i still love TFC).

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]theuniquegamer[/nom]so how many years to wait for HL3 or episode 3 whichever it is?[/citation]

I have a feeling it will match Duke Nukem Forever in terms of development time...

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
I really hope this call for communication works. Being teased here and there is nice and all and I can see why Valve employs the tactic, but I wish they would just give us straight info on their plans, for once. It's clearly what their fans want right now and they can't just continue to ignore it and go on with their teasing tactics.

Tell us something, Valve. Even if you're not working on HL3 at the moment, at least tell us when you plan to do so. Don't just ignore the pleas for information from your fans. It's been almost 5 years since HL2 Episode 2. Throw us a bone already. SOMETHING.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
[citation][nom]thechief73[/nom]OMG Tom's, Thanks for deleting my post after logging in. GRRR! Anyways I'll try to retype it if my tired mind can manage to do so.I am proud to say that I took part in the event Saturday morning by starting a new play-trough of HL:2 and we did manage to get into the top 11th spot for the most played games on Saturday. Although I am sorry to says Tom's that once again you have made a major error in your information. I have no idea where you got the number of 31,500!?! But, we did manage to get a max of 13,216 simutainious players on Saturday and the group that organized the event "A Call for Communication (Half-Life) (HL-CFC)" has 50,045 Members at the time of writing this.Please Tom's(and Mr. Kevin Parrish) give Half Life the respect it deserves and correct your hasty mistakes. The correct information is even in the link you provided in your own article. FYI - This was not a protest, it was a call for communication ( go figure eh, ) and the event was from 11am PST until you or your schedule didn't allow for your to continue playing, there was never a 30min. window.[/citation]

I can't stress enough what thechief73 said, Mr. Kevin Parrish. Correct your factual mistakes. Did you even read the text you quoted ? What a sensationalistic sub-headline you made there: "fans are actually demanding new Half-Life 3 news, protested on Saturday as a result". You didn't even check how many concurrent players the top games on Steam have when you ask if some type of world record had been set or talked about network overload (on a single-player game, really ?). Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case it's bad taste making fun of the community.

We aren't demanding anything, and the playing at the same time wasn't a protest.

You know what a demand is ? And a protest ? No, you dedinitely didn't read the text you quoted and didn't read the posts Surf has been making in the community since it started.

I was proud to be a part of the experience yesterday and I will do it again if there are more fun things organised by the community. Getting together in the community and playing at the same time yesterday means there are still many people who care about the Half-Life franchise and not just those that go along with the newest hyped game on the market, not having heard of or played any of the previous games. And you know what, just like Surf said, in the post you obviously didn't read, even if Valve doesn't say anything, the experience was worth it on its own.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
The race to dethrone Duke Nukem: Forever has begun!

I remember finding Half-Life as a kid and saying to myself that I'd give it a try because it looked cool; one of the best games I had played at the time. Time passed by (a lot), and then HL 2 popped up and it took me a bit to remember what the series was it had been so long. Again, patience for episode 3 of the series is growing thin for me and interest is fading.

The only news I know of that is on the way is the meet the pyro update in development. Really hope this is not the "secret" mentioned here!

Star72

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
Hi Valve. I remember a friend of mine telling me about TFC. I decided to try it & loved it & played it for quite a while. Funny thing is, I never really tried HL. Then HL2 & TF2 came along. I bought TF2 by itself & again loved it (didn't try HL2). Then you decided to go & *%&$ with a game (TF2) that was already much fun. The next thing we knew we had some retarded weapon ideas & the all important, game-breaking.........hats. Yep, that sealed the deal for me, won't even worry if a #3 comes out. But if it's going to, at least hurry up & let those who are waiting know & quit making them all wonder & teasing them. Eventually even the diehard fans will get tired of the games.

thehidecheck

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
[citation][nom]thechief73[/nom]I am proud to say that I took part in the event Saturday morning by starting a new play-trough of HL:2 and we did manage to get into the top 11th spot for the most played games on Saturday. Although I am sorry to says Tom's that once again you have made a major error in your information. I have no idea where you got the number of 31,500!?! But, we did manage to get a max of 13,216 simutainious players on Saturday and the group that organized the event "A Call for Communication (Half-Life) (HL-CFC)" has 50,045 Members at the time of writing this.[/citation]
This, I was actually disappointed in the number of members but the low number of players during the event.

G

Let's put it another way: the entire Mass Effect trilogy will have been released between HL2:EP2 and EP3.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Why on earth does Valve continue to put out games that (while good) have only a fraction of the anticipation of Half-Life 3. I think pretty soon gamers are going to start boycotting their games until it's the only one they're making.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]TF2 sucks. No wonder it's FtP. It's meant for teenagers.[/citation]
yes, youve stirred up a fanboy here...

TF2 is undoubtably one of the greatest multiplayer games of all time. Its one of the very few games that actually focuses on being fun rather than winning a match. it doesnt have all the fancy DX11 textures and big explosions, but it remains more fun that nearly every other game out now.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]wow, they dont want a game, they just want you to talk to them... follow up on info... damn... most respectfull protest so far... and this comes on how douchey valve is treating its half life fans, teaseing things all the time... only to yell a big nope every time to every rumor and to every sign...i dont like fps games much, only a few ever dragged me into them for long, and halflife and half life 2 werent one of them... mainly due to game breaking bugs with half life 2serious samserious sam second encountertheir hd counter partsbattle field bad company 2 multiplayerblack light tango downblack light retribution (im in beta) painkillergolden eyeperfect darkthose are the only fps games that sucked me in, that i can remember... each of them i played for over 24 hours i tend to enjoy mindless killing to puzzle fps games i guess.[/citation]

Seeing this list reminds me of all the good fps's I've put some good time into besides Half-Life1/2/Episodes-

Doom -PC
Hexen -PC
Heretic -PC
Goldeneye -N64
Perfect Dark -N64
Timesplitters -PS2
Quake 3 -PC
Halo -Xbox
Black -PS2
F.E.A.R. -PC
Doom 3 -PC
Far Cry -PC
Painkiller -PC
Crysis -PC (custom config + Silent's Hi res. foliage pack + Max. Immersion)
Killzone 2 -PS3
Crysis 2 -PC (DX11 + MaLDoHDv3)
Killzone 3 -PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.