Valve's Chet Faliszek Nukes Rumors of Half-Life 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 217926

Waiting........So..........Long. Sigh, as long as they make a worthy successor. I suppose it will be worth the wait.. Must avenge Eli Vance !

snowpeak

Distinguished
May 11, 2011
Considering how they completely failed at the quicker episodic releases it would be nice to hear something about whats going with the future of Half-Life. Last we heard, Valve was going to be releasing more Half Life at a faster pace in episodes, but this of course did not happen at all. So it would be great if we could hear something from Valve. Are they working on it or are they not working on it?

People just want to hear something instead of being left in the dark. I would be happy to hear something even if was something like "we have 3 people working on HL3, it will be out in maybe 5 years."

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
We know from experience Gabe is allergic to the number 3. So they might be releasing Portal 2 Episode 2 or Left 4 Dead 2 Episode 1 or something lacking that quintessential 3 in its title.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Last time I was in school, if you had a bunch of people with money in-hand asking you for something it was in your best interest to give it to them so you can profit.

Apparently this isn't the case anymore.

JeTJL

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Valve hasn't released Counter Strike: Global Offensive, and Defense of the Ancients 2 yet. They arn't announcing the next Half Life game because they are busy working on these two games.

Just wait until they release these two games, we may see something come out from the Half Life Universe.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Obviously they are developing it and at least since the end of Episode 2 (going on 5 year) So I highly doubt it would take that long to make Episode 3 so it is most likely Half-Life 3 or at the very least Episode 3 on a new engine.

They are trolling people by saying "you are being Trolled" an announcement will be made soon I guarantee it, Valve is to big of an outfit and there is to much money to be made for valve to keep on the back burner to long.

unionoob

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
Well.. I would love to know what they have been doing for all those years? Sure they have released Portals 2 and Left 4 dead 2 but did those games really ate all there man power? did it really require so much man power to make TF2 hats? this is almost 5 years since Episode 2 and still no sign about episode 3 or hl3. Ok Valve now are developing CS:GO.. but to be honest that game looks disappointing.. its nothing new same old good CSS just with a bit better graphics and some new weapon models makes me ask what have Valve been doing for all those years...

leper84

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
[citation][nom]unionoob[/nom]Well.. I would love to know what they have been doing for all those years? Sure they have released Portals 2 and Left 4 dead 2 but did those games really ate all there man power? did it really require so much man power to make TF2 hats? this is almost 5 years since Episode 2 and still no sign about episode 3 or hl3. Ok Valve now are developing CS:GO.. but to be honest that game looks disappointing.. its nothing new same old good CSS just with a bit better graphics and some new weapon models makes me ask what have Valve been doing for all those years...[/citation]

I would guess they've been pretty busy with steam... but then again that isn't much of an excuse. Going buy the massive piles of cash steam rakes in they could probably afford to hire a few more people to help out...

I understand 'valve time' but hopefully they realize we the people who made them filthy rich in the first place want to buy more stuff and are getting somewhat impatient..

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
It was an honor for me to have the Valve staff come to the thread I created over there :D.

I however have to say that it seems to me that they are keeping hope alive, they were just forced to cool down the community because some trolls hyped things up in a way Valve can't manage because that hype probably wouldn't last until the real release date of the game. But they are certainly keeping hope alive. I mean, look at the Moderator coming a few posts after the Valve staff guy, remembering that he has a thread going on with Half-Life 3 hints discovered by him or other members.

Also, watch Wheatley's acceptance speech (for the prize he actually didn't win) and notice the last sentence he says: "Well, maybe next year."

Valve Releases Wheatley’s VGA 2011 “Character Of The Year” Never-Aired Acceptance Short – Hints Towards A Secret Valve Single-Player Game To Be Released In 2012?

The Wheatley acceptance speech for the award he didn't win is telling - "Well, maybe next year.". As the article very well says, no award has ever been given to a multiplayer only character, so that leaves out Dota 2, CS: GO, and any eventual Left 4 Dead 3, or even Team Fortress 3 (but I think Valve already said they weren't going to release any TF sequel anytime soon). What does that leave us with ? HL2: EP3 or HL3 or Portal 3, but, while that is the most immediate conclusion you can take from the video, it doesn't seem likely Valve would release a third Portal game so soon. Given that the Half-Life universe and the Portal universe are connected, it makes perfect sense to interpret that as next year Half-Life 2: Episode 3 or Half-Life 3 will eventually have a nominated candidate for the award.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]evang[/nom]He's trolling.[/citation]
Yes, this certainly does beg the question: who's the one messing with people? There's a legitimate reason to believe either side. I suppose we'll find out, but at least it's entertaining for now.

Personally, I'd be happy to see a PC-based FPS, that wasn't yet-another Call of Duty clone.

kettu

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]tomc100[/nom]They need to work on Source 2 before they start working on Ep 3. The Source engine is too old for today's standards.[/citation]

It's perfectly fine. HL2 is still one of the best shooters around. Gameplay is much more important than fancy graphics.

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
[citation][nom]kettu[/nom]It's perfectly fine. HL2 is still one of the best shooters around. Gameplay is much more important than fancy graphics.[/citation]

New engines can enhance gameplay quite a bit though by including better AI and physics. New graphics would be nice because the better it looks, the more immersive it is, for me at least. It's not a main factor, but brings the player in. I'd love to see a new engine from Valve to be honest.

G

Team Fortress 3? No way. The long development of TF2 is only been surpassed by one game. Duke nukem Forever. Another development project that long would kill me!

intel4eva

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Come on Valve, we all really want Half Life 3 or HL2 ep3 whatever you call it. Shit, it's not like you have to innovate, just finish HL2! It's been long enough! Come on!

Status
Not open for further replies.