Valve's Gabe Newell Inducted Into AIAS Hall of Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]If only Valve had bought DICE back then, instead of EA.......we would have much better Battlefield games nowadays.......[/citation]

Had that happened, there might've also been a chance that Valve would've released a sneak-peak of BF2, and set the release date to like two years from now, or not even bother with a release date.

But who knows. Maybe Valve would've figured what to do with a very delayed BF2 anyways like what they did with TF2.

G

im sorry, i dont share what other people feel towards him.

he invented forced drm and now most pc gamers are so reliant on their dodgy services it would be catastrophic if their servers are down for a day.

i HATE forced drm, and this guy invented that shit. so in my opinion he doesnt deserve this title just for that. many of my friends dont buy games anymore due to not having an internet connection, and even when we have internet the steam services fail every week or so.

i honestly think the creators of ue3 needs to be on that list. not the guy who created forced drm.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Had that happened, there might've also been a chance that Valve would've released a sneak-peak of BF2, and set the release date to like two years from now, or not even bother with a release date.But who knows. Maybe Valve would've figured what to do with a very delayed BF2 anyways like what they did with TF2.[/citation]

Well, I figured I'd rather pay for hats and get DLCs for free, than to Pay for DLCs and get "special camo" for free :p

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]logicnreason123[/nom]im sorry, i dont share what other people feel towards him.he invented forced drm and now most pc gamers are so reliant on their dodgy services it would be catastrophic if their servers are down for a day.i HATE forced drm, and this guy invented that shit. so in my opinion he doesnt deserve this title just for that. many of my friends dont buy games anymore due to not having an internet connection, and even when we have internet the steam services fail every week or so.i honestly think the creators of ue3 needs to be on that list. not the guy who created forced drm.[/citation]

Steam fails every week or so? No that would be you're internet connection in what ever backwater country you live in.

Steam saved PC gaming, this is a fact. Not only did it save PC gaming, it gives Indie devs the platform they need to survive and thrive, just like PC gaming is now thriving because of it.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Well, I'm prepared to get massively voted down here, but I personally think Steam is a rather wonky service for all the years it has been around. And, Gabe doesn't really strike me as being all that smart; his recent comments about Win 8 alone show him to be, well, about as honest as Steve Jobs was.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]logicnreason123[/nom]im sorry, i dont share what other people feel towards him.he invented forced drm and now most pc gamers are so reliant on their dodgy services it would be catastrophic if their servers are down for a day.i HATE forced drm, and this guy invented that shit. so in my opinion he doesnt deserve this title just for that. many of my friends dont buy games anymore due to not having an internet connection, and even when we have internet the steam services fail every week or so.i honestly think the creators of ue3 needs to be on that list. not the guy who created forced drm.[/citation]

If you were to post this exactly 8 years ago from today then it would have some merit, since Steam was crap back then and every week it had some stupid server problem.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you still can play non Valve games without logging to Steam if you just go to your "common" folder located in the "steamapps" folder and just click the .exe of the game. I have done this before with some games, though I don't know if they're all able to do it.

He was most likely worried about Windows becoming a closed Eco-system like Macs. If he wasn't so smart he wouldn't be a billionaire, have the respect of millions of PC gamers, or be plain out successful in everything he does. I personally find it offensive you would compare Steve Jobs(a lunatic imho) to Gaben.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]Marcus52[/nom]Well, I'm prepared to get massively voted down here, but I personally think Steam is a rather wonky service for all the years it has been around. And, Gabe doesn't really strike me as being all that smart; his recent comments about Win 8 alone show him to be, well, about as honest as Steve Jobs was.[/citation]

I would like to know why you think that of Steam, because to me it has gotten better throughout the years and I seriously hated it when it started.

As for his Windows8 comment goes, then we'll just have to wait and see if Microsoft will eventually have a closed system environment like Apple has.

socialfox

Distinguished
[citation][nom]emma stpne[/nom]my roomate's half-sister makes $66/hour on the internet. She has been laid off for six months but last month her income was $15533 just working on the internet for a few hours. Go to this web site and read more http://cutt.us/mcPq[/citation]

Interesting, what she do? Sell herself on the internet with a webcam :lol:

Auroram

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]If only Valve had bought DICE back then, instead of EA.......we would have much better Battlefield games nowadays.......[/citation]

We wouldn't ever have gotten Battlefield 3, dude.

All jokes aside, congrats to him. Just don't forget that there's a whole company out there making Steam happen. Hopefully he won't forget the employees in his speech and such. Valve's great, not just Gabe. :)

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]lpedraja2002[/nom]I would like to know why you think that of Steam, because to me it has gotten better throughout the years and I seriously hated it when it started.As for his Windows8 comment goes, then we'll just have to wait and see if Microsoft will eventually have a closed system environment like Apple has.[/citation]

I agree that Steam is better than it was. It is also one of the best services for people to co-op on the internet. However, that doesn't mean it's good, the state of existing services is rather poor for the technology we have in this day and age.

I'll give my latest problem with Steam as an example, but do to the limited space, I won't list everything I've had problems with.

I was playing Borderlands 2 a couple of weeks ago, and the game crashed. I used Task Manager to get out of it when I did I found that Steam has decided in it's glorious wisdom to start downloading a game listed in the files of the account Borderlands 2 was on. It decided to download a game just because it was on the list, failed to recognize that the game was already on the computer and all it needed to do was tie the account to it, and couldn't manage running a game and downloading another at the same time. (I highly doubt it was my computer since I've run as many as 5 World of Warcraft accounts on it simultaneously.)

I sent in a ticket describing what happened, and it took them almost 2 WEEKS to respond, and guess what, big surprise, I got a form letter that had nothing to do with my issue.

I posted on the Borderlands 2 forums, asking if Steam crashed a lot for those who played it co-op, and no one rushed to Steam's defense. I got 2 responses, both indicating that yes, they had problems, and nobody posted saying anything else. Considering the popularity of the service I thought I'd get a bunch of posts, but I didn't, and am left with the idea that people didn't want to say anything bad about something they liked.

The reason I asked the question above is that Steam insists on starting an online session whether I'm playing solo or not, unless I start the service in offline mode (and of course get dire warnings about how running offline is a bad thing.) The whole reason I played with Steam in online mode is to keep an offline backup of my game, especially since I play on more than one computer, but I've found it's not a very reliable source for back-up since it disconnects itself from my computer fairly often. I once lost several hours of game play, not just a couple of minutes, because Steam's files were so out of date. (This was recently, not something that happened years ago.)

I've mostly avoided using Steam, but these days it's impossible to do, as gaming companies have taken to using it for DRM management and keeping their games up-to-date (regardless of ability to play co-op), but even being some one that avoids Steam, I've had more problems than I should have with the games that I play that are associated with it (not problems with the game itself, but with what Steam is supposed to do, like DRM management). If you were in my shoes you wouldn't wonder why I don't care for steam, you'd wonder why anyone liked it.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]He was most likely worried about Windows becoming a closed Eco-system like Macs. If he wasn't so smart he wouldn't be a billionaire, have the respect of millions of PC gamers, or be plain out successful in everything he does. I personally find it offensive you would compare Steve Jobs(a lunatic imho) to Gaben.[/citation]

Well, even if what you said was true (about why he said what he did), there was no reason to bash Win 8 when he clearly had not used it, or spoken to any software engineer that had. I mean, I had Steam installed on my Customer Preview version of Win 8 and it ran with no issues, so there was no real reason for him to bash an OS that already worked with Steam.

Frankly, I think the fear wasn't because of what MS might do, but because he wants to do it himself; he has long-term plans for Steam to become the locked-in gaming service everyone has to use to play on the internet, and he doesn't want Microsoft to horn in on what he sees as his territory. That's why he's investing in Linux - not to provide an alternate solution for an OS that's bad for gaming, because Win 8 isn't, but so he has control over everything from who you buy the game from to what OS you run it on.

What he was doing was trying to leverage the controversy surrounding Win 8 into something that put his own plans and actions in a better light.

That's one reason he reminds me of Steve Jobs. And if you are offended that I compare him to Jobs - well, you should be if you like him, but you also should take a step back and see if there's any truth to what I said. Gabe Newell isn't the gaming philanthropist some of you seem to think he is.

As far as the money he's made being some kind of proof of his intelligence - uh, buddy, if you believe making that much money requires intelligence, I don't know what to say to you. Sure, it helps, but it isn't required at all. And, intelligence doesn't stop someone from acting stupid or saying ignorant things. All that being said, I probably am being unfair by calling him unintelligent, though it doesn't take much to be as manipulative as I think he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.