Valve's Portal Hitting Nvidia Shield Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Does valve think they can get much revenue with a shield only game?
Just release this on google play for everyone and I'll buy it right away.

icrf

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Does valve think they can get much revenue with a shield only game?
Just release this on google play for everyone and I'll buy it right away.
I think it comes down to having physical controls which most Google Play users do not have, and Valve doesn't want to attempt to make some terrible on-screen thing that users would just complain about.

Plus, Nvidia may have fronted them some cash for the dev work.

InvalidError

Titan

If I had to port Portal to a touch-screen, I think I would get nightmares about how to get the controls right: some places in the game where you need to almost simultaneously move, aim, place portals and possibly other stuff are already hard enough with mouse+keyboard or X360 controller.

As a player, I have a hard time imagining myself simultaneously doing 3-4 things using on-screen controls, touches and possibly accelerometers, gyros and magnetometer. It is doable but having to fight against a significant input method handicap usually ruins the fun - it makes games a lot more frustrating than they should be.

artk2219

Distinguished
This is pretty good news, and honestly the first thing that came to my mind after portal was Counterstrike on android. You would need a controller or something like shield, but it would be kind of cool.

TheinsanegamerN

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
If Valve can express success on Shield, maybe more big time developers will get on board. put, say, GTA V on the newer shield 2 (or shield, if at all possible) and, say, some good platformers and shooters, and the shield may finally become it's own viable gaming platform.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
No! this is unacceptable. I've been waiting ages for Valve Software to add Android to Steamplay along with Windows, Mac, and Linux and now they want to make people pay again for games they already bought. No they can't do this because then there is probably no going back; Android will never be incorporated into Steamplay then. I didn't wait for nothing! I will never accept that people have to pay full price again for a game whenever they want to play it on a different platform, and if you think that is acceptable then there is something wrong with you, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.