News Valve's Upcoming Steam Deck Dev Day Will Explore AMD's Van Gogh APU

This is good. The more they freely teach and involve developers, the more chances of succeeding they'll have.

That being said, most developers already know how to use Vulkan and OGL, so I'd imagine the biggest thing will be convince them to use Source or something? Heh; joking aside, I just hope it works and more Devs warm up to "Not Windows".

Regards.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I actually don't have high hopes on this device. The reason is because while its great to see RDNA2 in action on an APU, the CPU is likely going to hold back the performance in most games. This is especially the case where the target resolution is very low, and so is going to be very CPU bound.

excalibur1814

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Can't wait to install Windows on this thing. Pre-ordered the 256Gb model. (Awaits to be flamed and destroyed). Ideally, dual boot.

-Dolphin Emu
-BBC Micro Emu
-ALL Steam games

Should be fun.

I actually don't have high hopes on this device. The reason is because while its great to see RDNA2 in action on an APU, the CPU is likely going to hold back the performance in most games. This is especially the case where the target resolution is very low, and so is going to be very CPU bound.
The deck is for the console crowd were 60 and even sub 60 is fine as long as it's consistent.
It will do well enough in all but the most demanding games so people will be happy with it.
Plus it's open and you can install anything you want on it which is another huge plus.