Question Vapor-X fans not spinning below 85 degrees

Apr 12, 2021
Hi guys! I've had the Sapphire Vapor-X (Tri-OC, 4GB) for a couple of years and ran into temperature problems last year. It'd run up to 85 degrees when starting Left 4 Dead 2. So after browsing the internet for a while, I disassembled my card following this video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vysjQQzN1y4

So now the Vapor-X fans stopped spinning below a very high temperature threshold. Without any interference, it seems to be at 90 degrees. I use Afterburner to set it at 80/85 degrees with a manual fan curve, HOWEVER despite my custom fan curve settings, it only ever fires up the fans at this temperature, seemingly dependent on a certain % of fan speed (its 85 degrees - 80% fan speed).

I cannot get the fans to run below 75,80% fan speed AT ALL, even with afterburner enabled. So whenever I start gaming, it will run up to 85 degrees and then jumpstart to 80%+ fan speed. It's very loud and probably not great energy-wise.

what I tried so far:
My main goal was to change the thermal compound, but I also cleaned the fans and used compressed air to remove dust from the heatsink. The only misstep during the process was that for the rather flimsy fan connectors, just a little plastic part broke off on each. However, its the part facing away from the contacts and no contacts have been out in the open as far as I could tell. When first changing the thermal compound, I had a fresh OS install ready, did not use any 3rd-party software at all. I accidentally pressed the blue Sapphire button a few times (seems to a VBIOS switch) and had to reset my mobo BIOS via jumper to get my PC to boot again. I turned off the blue button and tried various configs using the IFR switch on the card (supposedly enables Sapphires one-fan mode below certain temps), to no avail. I then reinstalled afterburner and realized there were no fans spinning below fan speed threshold. I then contacted Sapphire directly, but they would only tell me that something likely went wrong in the disassembling process. Thus I disassembled it again to check the fan connector cables, reapplied thermal compound of course, did a DDU clean driver uninstall, removed afterburner incl registry and all that. Nothing worked.

Any ideas what the issue could be?

my specs in general:
Intel Xeon e3-1231v3
sapphire r9 290 vapor-x tri-oc 4gb
16GB ram, ddr16000
win 10 pro on SSD

nve.png

Apr 12, 2021
download and use the software provided by Sapphire to control the card's fans.
you should be able to set a custom fan curve at whatever % \ ° you wish.
Afterburner is known to have issues with many manufacturer's software fan control schemes.

I assume u mean TriXX? I just tried it, installed an older version of it that has fan controls. Same as with afterburner - fans will not start spinning until 80% fan speed.