Highspeed

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

Sorry to cross post but I would like as many people as possible to see this.
I have a P4 3.0E Prescott running on an Intel 865PERLX motherboard, with
stock Intel cooling. Before I put in the 3.0GHz CPU my CPU fan would
increase speed as temperatures increased. Now it sits at around 2500RPM and
my temps are going through the roof (>60degrees C). I have tried plugging
the fan into the Vreg connection, the CPU fan connection and direct to the
PSU without any resolution. If I leave my case door off (Antec Sonata) it
decreases the CPU temperature. Is there a setting in the BIOS that I need
to turn on (I have speed settings enabled)? Is there something else that I
am missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lars

Highspeed wrote:
> Sorry to cross post but I would like as many people as possible to see this.
> I have a P4 3.0E Prescott running on an Intel 865PERLX motherboard, with
> stock Intel cooling. Before I put in the 3.0GHz CPU my CPU fan would
> increase speed as temperatures increased. Now it sits at around 2500RPM and
> my temps are going through the roof (>60degrees C). I have tried plugging
> the fan into the Vreg connection, the CPU fan connection and direct to the
> PSU without any resolution. If I leave my case door off (Antec Sonata) it
> decreases the CPU temperature. Is there a setting in the BIOS that I need
> to turn on (I have speed settings enabled)? Is there something else that I
> am missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lars

The rule-of-thumb is to use either (a) the thermal controller
built into the variable speed CPU fan, either in the fan housing
or via independent thermocouple or (b) the fan speed controller
that is being governed by the bios in the motherboard through
direct readings from the CPU but not both.