[SOLVED] Variety of BSOD over the last few months

mojoe_24

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
For the last few months my system has consistently crashed to BSOD with various errors. I've attached the dump files analysis from WhoCrashed. I've tried a few troubleshooting processes that I've found, but I'm still having tons of issues. I really have no idea what's going and while WhoCrashed says its software, I have to imagine its hardware because I've wiped and resinstalled multiple times and still run into issues. Any ideas?

System:
Ryzen 3600
MSI B450 Tomahawk (latest BIOS)
16gb 3000 Crucial Ballistix Sport
PowerColor Vega 64 LC
XFX Bronze 650w PSU (~10 years old)
1tb Inland Premium NVME
1tb Samsung HDD (~8 years old) used to store documents and non-program files
500gb Samsung 860 SSD (used as a backup for pictures)

Troubleshooting Completed:
Deleted/Formated Drive and fresh installed Windows (1tb NVME)
Safemode DDU deleted GPU drivers and reinstalled (20.4.2)
Memtest and Windows Memory Test with 0 errors
Updated BIOS and Chipset drivers

Crash Dump Analysis (WhoCrashed)
On Wed 9/16/2020 4:52:49 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091620-6890-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x2D6134) Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8035ECD6134, 0xFFFFF48A3B8A70F8, 0xFFFFF48A3B8A6930) Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: NT Kernel & System Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 9/16/2020 4:52:49 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP This was probably caused by the following module: dxgmms2.sys (dxgmms2+0x24282) Bugcheck code: 0x7E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8035ECD6134, 0xFFFFF48A3B8A70F8, 0xFFFFF48A3B8A6930) Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgmms2.sys product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: DirectX Graphics MMS Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch. The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 9/16/2020 11:45:48 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091620-6593-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3F3EA0) Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF8005A36554F, 0xFFFF9D000853F920, 0x0) Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: NT Kernel & System Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 9/13/2020 12:25:59 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091320-17203-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3F3EA0) Bugcheck code: 0x162 (0xFFFF950919855080, 0xFFFF9509103B9590, 0xFFFFFFFF, 0x0) Error: KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: NT Kernel & System Bug check description: This indicates that a lock tracked by AutoBoost was released by a thread that did not own the lock. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 9/13/2020 5:53:15 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091320-17468-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3FB272) Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80540BFB272, 0xFFFFF1071032A5D8, 0xFFFFDA8179852920) Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: NT Kernel & System Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 9/12/2020 4:18:13 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091220-16968-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3F3EA0) Bugcheck code: 0x192 (0xFFFFD907561460C0, 0xFFFFD9074C2CB6A0, 0x0, 0x0) Error: KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_LOCK_ACQUISITION_WITH_RAISED_IRQL file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: NT Kernel & System Bug check description: This indicates that a lock tracked by AutoBoost was acquired while executing at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out. The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 9/10/2020 9:29:05 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported crash dump file: C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\USBXHCI\USBXHCI-20200910-0929.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: usbxhci.sys (USBXHCI+0x50408) Bugcheck code: 0x144 (0x1020, 0xFFFFB3078B4879A0, 0x0, 0x0) Error: BUGCODE_USB3_DRIVER file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbxhci.sys product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: USB XHCI Driver Bug check description: The controller indicated a transfer completion that was not pending on the controller. EventData == 0 (logical address in transfer event TRB not matched) The Transfer Event TRB may be redundant (points somewhere near a recently completed request). The crash took place in a storage driver or controller driver. Since there is no other responsible driver detected, this could be pointing to a malfunctioning drive or corrupted disk. It's suggested that you run CHKDSK.

Solution
Is there a way to check the other components while I wait on finding a new PSU? Or that should be my first step?

First step should be that PSU but it doesn't stop you from testing the GPU in another system if you want or you could turn off the XMP profile for your RAM and test if it could be RAM instability.
D

Deleted member 14196

If you have clean install windows and it’s still doing this then it’s definitely hardware and you have to troubleshoot the hardware now by swapping things out to know exactly what part it is. Maybe it’s time for a new build? It looks to me roughly like your motherboard is probably failing

mojoe_24

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
If you have clean install windows and it’s still doing this then it’s definitely hardware and you have to troubleshoot the hardware now by swapping things out to know exactly what part it is. Maybe it’s time for a new build? It looks to me roughly like your motherboard is probably failing

Its a rather new, or newer build. Outside of the GPU, I'm pretty happy with performance.

Hi mojoe_24.

XFX Bronze 650w PSU (~10 years old)

That's old. PSU degrade and 10 years old for a bronze PSU is pushing it.

Replace that PSU and there is a good % that it's the issue.

That could cuase the errors? I plan on getting a new one, but did not think it would effect teh system like this.

D

Deleted member 14196

Yes a crappy PSU can cause all kinds of problems. Don’t ever use an old power supply in a new build that is a very major mistake And disastrous things can happen when it fails

Its a rather new, or newer build. Outside of the GPU, I'm pretty happy with performance.

That could cuase the errors? I plan on getting a new one, but did not think it would effect teh system like this.

A PSU gives the power to your system. It can cause all sort of issues. Freezing, restarting, shutdown, instability and since yours is 10 years old it's probably going to die soon. I would replace it before it just dies and maybe bring some parts with it :)

D

Deleted member 14196

I would make that your top priority because it is probably the most important component in the PC

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
do you monitor temps ? that could be the issue
what is your ambiant temp ? how many fans in the case ? is an AiO cooler isntalled on the CPU ? (if so take a picture, they are easy to install uncorrectly, with air gathering into the waterblock/pump)

Benchmarks to do in order to narrow the problem :

actually, before running benchs, run a temperature monitor like "openhardwaremonitor", in order to check if all temps don't cross the red line. Stop if the CPU or GPU reaches 85C during bench.

prime 95 blend test, for like 2-3 hours : without a worker failing
-> if so, likely CPU or PSU problem

OCCT for like 1 hour : without crashing or burning your house down
-> if so, PSU or motherboard or CPU problem

Furmark for like 30 minutes : without artifacts or shutdown or black screen
-> if so, GPU or PSU problem

if you have spare parts, bench before and after changing a part
if you don't have spare parts, well amazon does, and has a free 30-days return policy :) so test and return until the problem is gone.

Reactions: Nemesia

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
free like free beer

you can reuse an old amazon box (remove the old shipping label), they provide you with a pdf you have to print and tape to the box. you go to the post office and give the box to the Lady or Gentleman working there. you say thanks and walk away.

Amazon fully refunds the full price, every penny a few days later.
don't try to scam them by sending them back the damaged part. They can check serial numbers for expensive items.

A lot of people abuses this system, like buying a metric ton of clothes to return 99% of them, just for fun. don't do that ! it's bad (seriously that's a lot of waste in packaging material and trucking)

PS : with the new generation of power hungry GPUs incoming, there will be a >600w PSU shortage very soon. in fact the shortage has already started. don't wait for too long.

Last edited:

mojoe_24

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
I haven't had any BSOD so far running one stick. I did run into another problem. My system stopped displaying out of my displayport. I switched to an hdmi cable nad it seems to be working fine, but I can't get it to display with displayport. Could my other issues also be related to the GPU, or could this be related to teh PSU?

mojoe_24

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Just got a crash running a single stick of ram. It was doing good so I thought maybe that was the issue. Time ot switch to the other stick and try again.

BSOD: KERNEL AUTO BOOST INVALID LOCK RELEASE

TRENDING THREADS