varios process crashes , system seem stable

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
before i start with my problem, here is my system specification:
Processor: P4 with HT 3Ghz (no overclocking), using standard Intel fan.
MotherBoard: Asus P5SD2-X SE - SiS 656,- Front Side Bus 800MHz,- DDR2 667/533/400
Ram: Kingstone 2 x 1GB PC4200 DDR2 533
Graphics card: Nvidia 7600GT, MSI NX7600GT-VT2D256E
sound card: built in, Powermax
Storage: Maxtor 80Gb ATA rpm 7200
Power supply: ATX 450W, actual 436W.

the problem as follow:
when i was using Xp, whenever i play game, the process of the game crashes, it happens in almost all the games, sometimes it happens in 5 mins, some time it crashes in 30 mins or one hour. only the process of the game will crash, my all other background process will be working, such as itunes, msn messenger, yahoo messneger. windows never crashed.
after installing vista, the crashing is more often, sometimes in the desktop window manager, or while updating windows, or playing musinc in Windows media player. some of my games crashed as well.
as long as pc used for normal use, internet, music, word, messengers nothing happens.
i took my pc to the shop i bought from, they couldnt figure out what the problem is, knowing that i never use max the game configuration. and i didnt overclock anything.
i just find myself helpless, i have some slight experiance with troubleshooting pcs, but i cant figure out the problem here. i will really appreciate if anyone can help me out here

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
im going to do that NOW, i thought it is the CPU, coz only certain process get killed, so i thought maybe when using 100% of cpu some faulty transistor or something in cpu causing it. but ill try to test the ram, thanks man.
n yeah, simcity4 crashes, n again, without any background softwares, and sometimes in 10 min, sometimes it takes one hour before crashing

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
i have ran the test, with the two Rams installed, im getting errors, but with either of them. (single Ram), im not getting any errors.
is it true that my system cant support 2 gig of rams?

pat

Expert
before i start with my problem, here is my system specification:
Processor: P4 with HT 3Ghz (no overclocking), using standard Intel fan.
MotherBoard: Asus P5SD2-X SE - SiS 656,- Front Side Bus 800MHz,- DDR2 667/533/400
Ram: Kingstone 2 x 1GB PC4200 DDR2 533
Graphics card: Nvidia 7600GT, MSI NX7600GT-VT2D256E
sound card: built in, Powermax
Storage: Maxtor 80Gb ATA rpm 7200
Power supply: ATX 450W, actual 436W.

the problem as follow:
when i was using Xp, whenever i play game, the process of the game crashes, it happens in almost all the games, sometimes it happens in 5 mins, some time it crashes in 30 mins or one hour. only the process of the game will crash, my all other background process will be working, such as itunes, msn messenger, yahoo messneger. windows never crashed.
after installing vista, the crashing is more often, sometimes in the desktop window manager, or while updating windows, or playing musinc in Windows media player. some of my games crashed as well.
as long as pc used for normal use, internet, music, word, messengers nothing happens.
i took my pc to the shop i bought from, they couldnt figure out what the problem is, knowing that i never use max the game configuration. and i didnt overclock anything.
i just find myself helpless, i have some slight experiance with troubleshooting pcs, but i cant figure out the problem here. i will really appreciate if anyone can help me out here

Looks like your Prescott CPU is overheating.. either clean the heat sink, or reseat it better on the CPU. New thermal paste may help too

GlacierFreeze

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
i have ran the test, with the two Rams installed, im getting errors, but with either of them. (single Ram), im not getting any errors.
is it true that my system cant support 2 gig of rams?

So if you have just one in and swap back and forth you get no errors?

One of my sticks went bad in the summer and ended up corrupting my OS and programs. Was so bad that it wouldn't stay booted for more than 5 minutes and programs wouldn't open. I thought it was a virus but was one of my sticks of RAM. Been running 1 stick for months and been too lazy to RMA the other blah.

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
i ran the test again, but it didnt show me problems with the two sticks both working.
i think as ^ he said, it is overheating issue. my bios of the asus was sat to auto AI overclocking. so i made it standared (probably no overclocking). now it is working smooth.
i think if i need the overclock, i need better cooling, the standared heat sink n fan are not good.

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
when i ran the test with either one of them in the motherboard, i got no errors.
when i ran the test with two of them, i have strange readings. 1-first time i did the test for 5 hours. in the pass 0 i got two errors, and the rest for till pass 6 i got no error. 2-second time i did the pass 0 n i got no errors. 3- third time i did for 2.5 hours, i got one error in pass 0,1,3. All the errors are Type 7.
does it mean, i cant use both of my sticks, but i can use either of them in my pc?