Various BSOD on new computer

Bebop2073

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
I am hoping to get some help with a very frustrating bsod problem on my newly built system. Ever since I built the computer, a couple weeks ago, it has suffered from random bsod crashes. These include multiple A, 8E, 7F, 7E, C1, and 3B code crashes. The crashes have happened at all different points of use, during gaming, streaming, web browsing, downloading, and rebooting, however more frequently happen when I am streaming or gaming.

My system specs are:
MSI z87-g45 gaming mobo
Intel i5-4670k 3.40 CPU
EVGA GTX-780
8GB Corsair Vengeance 1886 DDR3
240 GB Corsair SSD Force 3 GS
Corsair RM 1000 watt PSU

I have ran just about every hardware test I could think of. I have done memtest multiple times for up to 17 hours with no errors. I have tested my GPU on Furmark for over 25 min with no crashes. I have run a diskcheck with no errors. I have run multiple prime 95 tests for up to 10 hours with no errors.

I began with an installation of Windows 7 32 bit, then re-installed a fresh copy of 32 bit, and I am finally on a copy of Windows 7 64-bit. Across all three installations I have experienced bsod crashes. I have updated my graphics driver and then manually deleted it and re-installed it. I have updated my audio driver, network driver, and HD Firmware. I have downloaded and installed all the important updates for windows. I have deactivated or uninstalled most if not all of the bloatware that came on my mobo. I have used WhoCrashed to analyze my dumps, I am not well versed with debugging, and It continually identified ntoskrnl.exe, win32k.sys, my killer e2200 network driver, dxgmms1.sys, and others which I cannot remember or recall because of the re-installations of windows. I am running Microsoft Security Essentials and have located no malicious files.

I would be extremely grateful for anyone's help. I especially need to determine if it is either a hardware issue or software because I have about a week left on my return policy.

Solution
75 is on the higher end, but still acceptable for some processors under load. Yes, definitely make sure everything is seated. Sometimes a RAM stick might not be seated all the way (you can tell by the clips on the end.) It's also not a bad idea to test the RAM sticks themselves. Power off the machine, unplug it and remove one stick (I always were an anti-static wrist band, but people always say I'm being anal - but this time of year is ripe for static discharge) and then fire it up and play around. See if you're still getting crashes. If so, it's not that stick. Repeat the above by replacing that stick and removing the next one. If your machine suddenly stops crashing, that stick's bad.

EDIT: Missed the PSU part. Yeah, you...

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
A few things:
1.) Make sure nothing is shorting out on the case. Some people forget to use mobo standoffs or have a bare wire somewhere
2.)Do you have another PSU you can try? Sometimes power fluctuations can cause weird issues
3.) Have any of the tests you've run also included heat readouts? Overheating can cause a LOT of problems
3a.) Did you install the CPU and heatsink yourself? If so, did you remember thermal paste, and if so, how much did you use (too much can be just as bad as too little.)

EDIT: Also, you might want to test each memory stick to make sure none of them are bad.

Bebop2073

Reputable
Mar 6, 2014
I have no bare wires, the PSU came with ribbon wires and my case, c70 Vengeance has preinstalled standoffs.
I don't have another PSU on hand, but I can try to get my hands on one. Is the only way to test my PSU is to use another and see if it crashes?
During Furmark test my GPU reached a maximum temperature of 85c I don't think I have a temp for what my CPU ran at, I can check that with another prime95 test. I did install everything myself and I did use thermal paste, enough for a thin even layer over the entire copper flat of the coolermaster hyper 212 evo heatsink. I can remove it, clean it, and reapply less if necessary. My next task was going to be reseating all my cards and RAM, and then testing the system with a few of parts plugged in as possible.

EDIT: my CPU runs idle at 35c
with prim 95 small FFT running for 10 min, my cpu temp is showing temperatures ranging from 63c in one core to 74c in another. That 10 degree difference is pretty consistant with one core staying at 64 and going no higher then 66 while the other 3 are always between 71 and 75

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
75 is on the higher end, but still acceptable for some processors under load. Yes, definitely make sure everything is seated. Sometimes a RAM stick might not be seated all the way (you can tell by the clips on the end.) It's also not a bad idea to test the RAM sticks themselves. Power off the machine, unplug it and remove one stick (I always were an anti-static wrist band, but people always say I'm being anal - but this time of year is ripe for static discharge) and then fire it up and play around. See if you're still getting crashes. If so, it's not that stick. Repeat the above by replacing that stick and removing the next one. If your machine suddenly stops crashing, that stick's bad.

EDIT: Missed the PSU part. Yeah, you can test with a multi-meter, but if you don't know how to do that, it's best to find someone in person to show you. Also, you can go into your BIOS and look for the +12v reading, this is typically under 'PC Health Status', System Monitor, Hardware Monitor'. A healthy reading is between 11.4 - 12.6v, and stable. No fluctuations.

Solution