Question Various BSOD on Windows 10 install (replaced motherboard and SSD)

Mar 18, 2020
Hi everyone, having a multitude of BSOD problems. Issues started a few weeks ago when I started getting a netio.sys BSOD but different stop codes (e.g. DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION). Weirdly it seemed to happen when I was installing games from the Epic Games Store but no idea if it was actually linked. I've never overclocked my CPU.

Since then I have:

1. Updated drivers (none needed updating)

2. Ran Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool - no issues with RAM cam up.

3. Updated BIOS on Gigabyte motherboard.

4. Replaced my motherboard.

5. Tried to reinstall Windows - failed and kept BSODing during install from USB.

6. Run a memtest86 - no issues came up.

7. SSD send off for RMA - tested by Scan and failed CrystalDisk health check so they sent me a replacement.

8. Tried to install Windows 10 off a different USB - same issue.

9. Reset BIOS to defaullts.

10. Managed to install Ubuntu successfully from a USB.

11. Still BSODing during Windows install. First time it was a stop code of "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" again and 'what failed' was ntfs.sys (not seen this before). Second try I got the "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT" stop code for the first time. Third time it was a stop code of "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" with "what failed" as CLASSPNP.sys. Fourth time I tried it was "CACHE_MANAGER" and 'what failed' was ntfs.sys again.

Now I'm wondering if there's an issue with CPU, but I'm genuinely at a complete loss as to what to do here. Most of the advice online is useful for those still running Windows, whereas I am stuck in this Window-less nightmare.

Any advice would be deeply appreciated, thank you!

(FYI I have never overclocked my CPU).

Specs are:

Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON Motherboard (brand new)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2 x8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 Enthusiast RGB LED Illuminated Memory Kit

SSD: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2 SATA 6GBP (brand new)

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6GHz (Coffee Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - OEM

Graphics card: GeForce® GTX 1070 Mini ITX OC 8GB

Power supply: CORSAIR RMxWhite Series RM750x

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
netio.sys is a lan driver, so way back at start I would have updated lan drivers. It shouldn't have led to this...

do you use a wifi card? dongle? or Ethernet.

tried installing with bare minimum parts. so mobo, cpu, 1 stick of ram, ssd, PSU

CLASSPNP.sys - SCSI class system driver. Many PC uses scsi for ssd.
ntfs.sys - new tech file system. Its the format used by windows... I am not sure if it tells me anything about exact cause.

errors during install are going to be hardware. No drivers installed at that stage.

how long have you had PC?

Mar 18, 2020
netio.sys is a lan driver, so way back at start I would have updated lan drivers. It shouldn't have led to this...

do you use a wifi card? dongle? or Ethernet.

tried installing with bare minimum parts. so mobo, cpu, 1 stick of ram, ssd, PSU

CLASSPNP.sys - SCSI class system driver. Many PC uses scsi for ssd.
ntfs.sys - new tech file system. Its the format used by windows... I am not sure if it tells me anything about exact cause.

errors during install are going to be hardware. No drivers installed at that stage.

how long have you had PC?

Only ever used ethernet - one of the first drivers we checked were the networks drivers and again they were up to date. Never had a WiFi card on this build.

Will unplug my fans and everything and try the bare install and report back. Previously done this without just the graphics card and still had issues, so don't think it's that. Obviously mobo and sdd are brand new so expect it's not those. . .

PC was built in November 2018, Graphics card is a couple of years older (was previously my boyfriend's).

Colif

Win 11 Master
if its not gpu, and mobo & ssd are new, it should only be one of the items you haven't replaced.
how many times did you check each stick with memtest?
Prime 95 isn't perfect but we can't run Intel processor diagnostic tool without windows (I did look for a linux version) and I don't know of any other CPU tests.
Only part left is PSU - they can cause BSOD by not supplying reliable power. White rating is least efficient of them all.

since it runs so well with linux, I would run more tests with it - https://askubuntu.com/questions/109935/are-there-any-hardware-diagnostic-tools/981702

Mar 18, 2020
Hi all, just to update this thread for completeness - I sent my PC off to a computer repairs company and after lots of testing it in indeed the CPU which is the cause of my issues (and it is faulty). Looks like I'll have to replace it unfortunately!

Reactions: Adityalightrex

TRENDING THREADS