I've been getting BSODs lately and I'm not able to figure out what is causing
the problem. Here's some error messages I got:

#1 (in descending order of appearance):
Error code 100000be, parameter1 f33341bf, parameter2 088dd121, parameter3
b8590830, parameter4 0000000a.
I remember it said on BSOD "an attempt was made to write to read-only
memory" and had a filename attached at the end of the code: psched.sys

#2:
Error code 10000050, parameter1 befb7650, parameter2 00000001, parameter3
f6fa3dd9, parameter4 00000002.
"PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" and filename Alcxsens.sys

#3:
Error code 000000d1, parameter1 00000082, parameter2 00000002, parameter3
00000001, parameter4 baf8ff0a.
"DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and filename tcpip.sys (add. BAF8FF0A base
at BAF8D000 datestamp 4294d4d3

#4:
Error code 0000007f, parameter1 0000000d, parameter2 00000000, parameter3
00000000, parameter4 00000000.

#5:
Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c000001d, parameter2 f3d47328, parameter3
f797eb70, parameter4 00000000.

This should be it. I've been getting more BSODs, but I thought it was the
WinXP fault and so I reinstalled the OS. But I kept receiving these errors
and so I upgraded BIOS (on my new Epox motherboard) and installed the latest
version of motherboard drivers (incl. networking drivers).
Is this a network problem as I see psched.sys and tcpip.sys are typical
network drivers? Hardware or software? Maybe something else?
I've got a few minidump files, if they're of any extra help at all..

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated!

Jane,
It looks to me like a hardware problem. I was having similar problems
and eventually had to replace my motherboard.

"Jane_N." wrote:

> I've been getting BSODs lately and I'm not able to figure out what is causing
> the problem. Here's some error messages I got:
>
> #1 (in descending order of appearance):
> Error code 100000be, parameter1 f33341bf, parameter2 088dd121, parameter3
> b8590830, parameter4 0000000a.
> I remember it said on BSOD "an attempt was made to write to read-only
> memory" and had a filename attached at the end of the code: psched.sys
>
> #2:
> Error code 10000050, parameter1 befb7650, parameter2 00000001, parameter3
> f6fa3dd9, parameter4 00000002.
> "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" and filename Alcxsens.sys
>
> #3:
> Error code 000000d1, parameter1 00000082, parameter2 00000002, parameter3
> 00000001, parameter4 baf8ff0a.
> "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and filename tcpip.sys (add. BAF8FF0A base
> at BAF8D000 datestamp 4294d4d3
>
> #4:
> Error code 0000007f, parameter1 0000000d, parameter2 00000000, parameter3
> 00000000, parameter4 00000000.
>
> #5:
> Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c000001d, parameter2 f3d47328, parameter3
> f797eb70, parameter4 00000000.
>
> This should be it. I've been getting more BSODs, but I thought it was the
> WinXP fault and so I reinstalled the OS. But I kept receiving these errors
> and so I upgraded BIOS (on my new Epox motherboard) and installed the latest
> version of motherboard drivers (incl. networking drivers).
> Is this a network problem as I see psched.sys and tcpip.sys are typical
> network drivers? Hardware or software? Maybe something else?
> I've got a few minidump files, if they're of any extra help at all..
>
> Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated!

The first has to do with your network adapter (or Windows)
The next has to do with your sound card (on-board I believe)
The 3rd is also with your network adapter (or Windows)
The 4th is most commonly hardware based, but can be software related
The 5th is nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes
means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

So, here's what I suggest:
1) Flash your BIOS to the latest version (you said this is done, but check
to be sure)
2) Visit Windows Update and ensure that you've got all the latest updates.
3) Disable your sound card (in Device Manager) until this problem is fixed
(I had a similar problem a while back, which I blamed on the sound card -
which wasn't at fault).
4) Remove any other devices which arent' absolutely necessary (my problem
turned out to be a TV card that took a lightning strike through the coax
cable - I replaced almost all of the system componenets before I figured it
out!) The goal is to only have memory, video, hard drive, mouse, and
keyboard installed.
5) Update your motherboard drivers (you said this is done, but check to be
sure)
6) Update your Network adapter driver (you said this is done, but check to
be sure)
7) Run MemTest86 from here (it's free): http://www.memtest86.com/ Any
errors at all means a problem with your memory - Let it run for at least 2
hours, if it encounters any errors you can close it down. Error = bad RAM.
8) Add the pieces from steps 3 and 4, one at a time. Checking to see which
one causes the problem. Once you've isolated the problem, you can
troubleshoot the device here, or you can just get a new one.

"Jane_N." wrote:

> I've been getting BSODs lately and I'm not able to figure out what is causing
> the problem. Here's some error messages I got:
>
> #1 (in descending order of appearance):
> Error code 100000be, parameter1 f33341bf, parameter2 088dd121, parameter3
> b8590830, parameter4 0000000a.
> I remember it said on BSOD "an attempt was made to write to read-only
> memory" and had a filename attached at the end of the code: psched.sys
>
> #2:
> Error code 10000050, parameter1 befb7650, parameter2 00000001, parameter3
> f6fa3dd9, parameter4 00000002.
> "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" and filename Alcxsens.sys
>
> #3:
> Error code 000000d1, parameter1 00000082, parameter2 00000002, parameter3
> 00000001, parameter4 baf8ff0a.
> "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and filename tcpip.sys (add. BAF8FF0A base
> at BAF8D000 datestamp 4294d4d3
>
> #4:
> Error code 0000007f, parameter1 0000000d, parameter2 00000000, parameter3
> 00000000, parameter4 00000000.
>
> #5:
> Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c000001d, parameter2 f3d47328, parameter3
> f797eb70, parameter4 00000000.
>
> This should be it. I've been getting more BSODs, but I thought it was the
> WinXP fault and so I reinstalled the OS. But I kept receiving these errors
> and so I upgraded BIOS (on my new Epox motherboard) and installed the latest
> version of motherboard drivers (incl. networking drivers).
> Is this a network problem as I see psched.sys and tcpip.sys are typical
> network drivers? Hardware or software? Maybe something else?
> I've got a few minidump files, if they're of any extra help at all..
>
> Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Jane,

Can you send me your minidumps and I'll look at them? You might want to
follow these instructions and send any dumps you get after enabling Driver
Verifier.

To determine what driver is causing the problem I need you to enable driver
verifier.
Steps:
1) Windows Key + R
2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
5) Reboot

There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this
occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and select
the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step 4 choose
'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next to any
driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.

This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but
will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash
the blue screen will hopefully say something like
"DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION". If this occurs please send the
corresponding minidump (by default it is at c:\windows\Minidump ) my way.
If you have any questions or I didn't explain something well enough don't
hesitate to e-mail me (remove "online") back. Good Luck,

Joshua Smith
OpenGL Test Lab
Microsoft
-----

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

"Jane_N." <Jane_N.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been getting BSODs lately and I'm not able to figure out what is
> causing
> the problem. Here's some error messages I got:
>
> #1 (in descending order of appearance):
> Error code 100000be, parameter1 f33341bf, parameter2 088dd121, parameter3
> b8590830, parameter4 0000000a.
> I remember it said on BSOD "an attempt was made to write to read-only
> memory" and had a filename attached at the end of the code: psched.sys
>
> #2:
> Error code 10000050, parameter1 befb7650, parameter2 00000001, parameter3
> f6fa3dd9, parameter4 00000002.
> "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" and filename Alcxsens.sys
>
> #3:
> Error code 000000d1, parameter1 00000082, parameter2 00000002, parameter3
> 00000001, parameter4 baf8ff0a.
> "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and filename tcpip.sys (add. BAF8FF0A base
> at BAF8D000 datestamp 4294d4d3
>
> #4:
> Error code 0000007f, parameter1 0000000d, parameter2 00000000, parameter3
> 00000000, parameter4 00000000.
>
> #5:
> Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c000001d, parameter2 f3d47328, parameter3
> f797eb70, parameter4 00000000.
>
> This should be it. I've been getting more BSODs, but I thought it was the
> WinXP fault and so I reinstalled the OS. But I kept receiving these errors
> and so I upgraded BIOS (on my new Epox motherboard) and installed the
> latest
> version of motherboard drivers (incl. networking drivers).
> Is this a network problem as I see psched.sys and tcpip.sys are typical
> network drivers? Hardware or software? Maybe something else?
> I've got a few minidump files, if they're of any extra help at all..
>
> Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated!

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Jane_N. said...

> I've been getting BSODs lately and I'm not able to figure out what is causing
> the problem. Here's some error messages I got:

This may not be the appropriate advice, but checking that your RAM and
graphics card are seated properly can cure a multitude of BSOD's.
Probably the best thing is to swap them out with know good working
alternatives. Also make sure you safely clear any accumultaions of dust
around critical components like your ram and cpu heatsink etc.

HTH.
--
t@k
(Invalid return address. Please reply to newsgroup).

Great. I do suspect that my motherboad is the one to blame for my BSODs. I
recently got a new one and those BSODs started appearing.. And the most
suspicious part is the network adapter. I bought a new one just in case...

your solutions:
1) I got the last version of BIOS for my motherboard. Check.
2) Windows is updated (ok, I refuse to download SP - security issues..,
other updates are installed)
3+4) this may take a while.. my computer works fine for a few days and then
suddenly..BSOD. I'll try this a bit later. 1st step: disabling onboard LAN
5+6) all motherboard's drivers updated to latest version
7) MemTest86 shows no errors

"usasma" wrote:

> The first has to do with your network adapter (or Windows)
> The next has to do with your sound card (on-board I believe)
> The 3rd is also with your network adapter (or Windows)
> The 4th is most commonly hardware based, but can be software related
> The 5th is nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes
> means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).
>
> So, here's what I suggest:
> 1) Flash your BIOS to the latest version (you said this is done, but check
> to be sure)
> 2) Visit Windows Update and ensure that you've got all the latest updates.
> 3) Disable your sound card (in Device Manager) until this problem is fixed
> (I had a similar problem a while back, which I blamed on the sound card -
> which wasn't at fault).
> 4) Remove any other devices which arent' absolutely necessary (my problem
> turned out to be a TV card that took a lightning strike through the coax
> cable - I replaced almost all of the system componenets before I figured it
> out!) The goal is to only have memory, video, hard drive, mouse, and
> keyboard installed.
> 5) Update your motherboard drivers (you said this is done, but check to be
> sure)
> 6) Update your Network adapter driver (you said this is done, but check to
> be sure)
> 7) Run MemTest86 from here (it's free): http://www.memtest86.com/ Any
> errors at all means a problem with your memory - Let it run for at least 2
> hours, if it encounters any errors you can close it down. Error = bad RAM.
> 8) Add the pieces from steps 3 and 4, one at a time. Checking to see which
> one causes the problem. Once you've isolated the problem, you can
> troubleshoot the device here, or you can just get a new one.

Hi.

I'll send you my minidumps asap. I got a new one following your advice.
My computer didn't crash at reboot so I thought it was a good sign. Windows
turned on, slowly. It really slowed the performance of my computer down.
And after a while windows turned off the monitor (power save option) and
when I got back, it didn't want to turn on. So I figured I got another blue
screen.
Thanks.. I'll contact you via e-mail.

Jane

"Joshua Smith [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Jane,
>
> Can you send me your minidumps and I'll look at them? You might want to
> follow these instructions and send any dumps you get after enabling Driver
> Verifier.
>
> To determine what driver is causing the problem I need you to enable driver
> verifier.
> Steps:
> 1) Windows Key + R
> 2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
> 3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
> 4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
> 5) Reboot
>
> There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this
> occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and select
> the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step 4 choose
> 'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next to any
> driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.
>
> This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but
> will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash
> the blue screen will hopefully say something like
> "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION". If this occurs please send the
> corresponding minidump (by default it is at c:\windows\Minidump ) my way.
> If you have any questions or I didn't explain something well enough don't
> hesitate to e-mail me (remove "online") back. Good Luck,
>
> Joshua Smith
> OpenGL Test Lab
> Microsoft
> -----

Hi Jane,

Your system will be sluggish when the verifier is on. The reason is that
it has to check the "gueard pages" in memory after every driver call to see
if something went wrong and call for a system halt for investigation if it
did. We will turn it off once we get your issue sorted out. :)

Joshua Smith
OpenGL Test Lab
Microsoft
-----

> Hi.
>
> I'll send you my minidumps asap. I got a new one following your advice.
> My computer didn't crash at reboot so I thought it was a good sign.
> Windows
> turned on, slowly. It really slowed the performance of my computer down.
> And after a while windows turned off the monitor (power save option) and
> when I got back, it didn't want to turn on. So I figured I got another
> blue
> screen.
> Thanks.. I'll contact you via e-mail.
>
> Jane
>
> "Joshua Smith [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Hi Jane,
>>
>> Can you send me your minidumps and I'll look at them? You might want
>> follow these instructions and send any dumps you get after enabling
>> Driver
>> Verifier.
>>
>> To determine what driver is causing the problem I need you to enable
>> driver
>> verifier.
>> Steps:
>> 1) Windows Key + R
>> 2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
>> 3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
>> 4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit
>> Finish
>> 5) Reboot
>>
>> There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this
>> occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and
>> select
>> the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step 4
>> choose
>> 'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next to any
>> driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.
>>
>> This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but
>> will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash
>> the blue screen will hopefully say something like
>> "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION". If this occurs please send the
>> corresponding minidump (by default it is at c:\windows\Minidump ) my way.
>> If you have any questions or I didn't explain something well enough don't
>> hesitate to e-mail me (remove "online") back. Good Luck,
>>
>> Joshua Smith
>> OpenGL Test Lab
>> Microsoft
>> -----

Hey,

I've replaced my network adapter with a new one and I believe I have (one
of) my problems fixed. I didn't recieve any more BSODs since then. I'm still
a bit cautious about the onboard sound card.. I hope I don't get any more of
these BSODs.
Thank you all for helping me out!

Best Regards,
Jane