Question Various BSODs and Google Chrome crashes

Aug 12, 2019
Okay, so I bought a new motherboard and CPU in July and got a fresh install of windows 10. Ever since then it has constantly been crashing with BSODs. There have been crashes in Google Chrome and Firefox that require a refresh for the page to work again. Also, crashes in many games that result in a screen freeze while still being able to hear Discord in the background. During those freezes I can't tab out of the game and ctrl+alt+Delete doesn't work. If anyone knows what's going on please help. This has been a nightmare since building and I just want to wake up.

Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
MSI x570 Gaming Plus motherboard
1 Kingston 200GB SSD w/ windows 10 installed
1 SanDisk 1TB SSD for extra storage
2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz RAM

Actions I've taken so far:
  • Ran memtest for 4 passes with both sticks of RAM in
  • Tried only running 1 stick of RAM at a time with each stick
  • Reinstalled Windows 10
  • Windows was previously installed on the SanDisk SSD with no Kingston drive plugged in so I tried moving it to a different drive
  • Ran Scannow in CMD
  • Updated chipset drivers
  • Looked for updated drivers using a driver update software. Using that to update my SATA connection drivers led to my computer not being able to make it past the windows logo on startup so the current installed are Standard SATA AHCI Controller
# x BSOD Stop Codes I've gotten / What Failed (If Present):
  1. SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION / win32kbase.sys
  2. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
  3. 2 x KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_LOCK_ACQUISITION_WITH_RAISED_IRQL
  4. 2 x APC_INDEX_MISMATCH
  5. DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
  6. IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE
  7. SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED / FLTMGR.SYS
  8. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA / dxgmms2.sys
  9. SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION / win32kfull.sys
If anyone can help me understand what is happening or what I can do to provide more information in order to get help please let me know

Edit: right after posting I was on Youtube and I got what I think you call an artifact. It was a weird little screen tear in the video. Replayed and it wasn't there so it was on my end.

Last edited:

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
BSODs are often a symptom of mobo failure. Mobo failure is often associated with psu failure:

1. The psu is failing or
  2. It fried critical components because you are using modular cables and have some modular cables from some other psu in your current build and are plugging them into your current psu

But in the generic case BSODs are motherboard. If you are lucky it is something simple like RAM: You inserted in A1 B1 instead of A2 B2 or whatever your manual recommends. Or you have two sticks and one is failing. Try booting up with one stick of ram (consult manual for proper slot) all by itself and then the other. See if there is a repeatable difference between the two.

The fresh install of Win 10 (1903 update) has known stability issues with a wide variety of aftermarket antivirus programs. I had humongo problems on my early June build and eventually just went to Windows Defender. Was that the cause of my results getting better? Who knows?

Also make sure that your Win 10 install is a LOCAL INSTALL not connecting you to the net. I'm afraid that means a new install with the internet cable disconnected. Every time they tell you there are huge benefits to creating an account blow them off. You will know you are getting to a local install when they ask you for, for security log in back up, for you mom's maiden name, dog's name, etc. It they ask you for, and you provide, a text number you do not have a local install.

Once you do a local install go out and get your drivers. Don't download chrome or an antivirus program or anything else. Drivers right away. Once you've got drivers and teh system has updated (let it do that) try running a few benchmarks. If the system does not crash you can start adding software.

My 2c and good luck. Many members of these fora feel that Win 10 is a stable reliable platform and I'll just pass on that view. For me it was the most difficult install of my computer using career. Which goes back a ways.

Greg N

Aug 12, 2019
BSODs are often a symptom of mobo failure. Mobo failure is often associated with psu failure:

1. The psu is failing or
  2. It fried critical components because you are using modular cables and have some modular cables from some other psu in your current build and are plugging them into your current psu
But in the generic case BSODs are motherboard. If you are lucky it is something simple like RAM: You inserted in A1 B1 instead of A2 B2 or whatever your manual recommends. Or you have two sticks and one is failing. Try booting up with one stick of ram (consult manual for proper slot) all by itself and then the other. See if there is a repeatable difference between the two.

The fresh install of Win 10 (1903 update) has known stability issues with a wide variety of aftermarket antivirus programs. I had humongo problems on my early June build and eventually just went to Windows Defender. Was that the cause of my results getting better? Who knows?

Also make sure that your Win 10 install is a LOCAL INSTALL not connecting you to the net. I'm afraid that means a new install with the internet cable disconnected. Every time they tell you there are huge benefits to creating an account blow them off. You will know you are getting to a local install when they ask you for, for security log in back up, for you mom's maiden name, dog's name, etc. It they ask you for, and you provide, a text number you do not have a local install.

Once you do a local install go out and get your drivers. Don't download chrome or an antivirus program or anything else. Drivers right away. Once you've got drivers and teh system has updated (let it do that) try running a few benchmarks. If the system does not crash you can start adding software.

My 2c and good luck. Many members of these fora feel that Win 10 is a stable reliable platform and I'll just pass on that view. For me it was the most difficult install of my computer using career. Which goes back a ways.

Greg N

The only cables I have are from the current PSU, I tested each RAM individually and still had problems, I have no antivirus, and Win 10 is a local install. I've never had problems with Windows and I believe in the stability of each version once any bugs are fixed. I think it might be the fact that my hardware is newer and the software hasn't been fully developed yet. If there's any specific advice that seems to be what I need as general troubleshooting hasn't done me any good for the whole time I've had it

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Well as far as freezes go you might try Alt F4. You can try it right now it will instantly snap shut all your open tabs and your browser. And if you do it again you're heading for a shut down faster than what you can get by pushing the power button on your build. And as an alternative to Ctrl alt del try ctrl shift escape it brings up the task manager instantly and you can try shutting down an errant program that way.

My hardware is as new as yours and I had gpu problems that made these past few weeks extremely frustrating and totally un-fun.

Sometimes what works in these situations is to take what you consider to be the core elements of your system that you're worried about and look them up on Newegg. Click on the one-egg "I hate it!" reviews. A small percentage of these reviews are very useful, some people actually diagnose the performance flaw.

I've seen quite a few people having issues with the X570 mobo and the Ryzen 5 3600 these past few weeks. Reading some of the threads here on Toms Hardware made me glad to have the puny X470 and Ryzen 5 2600X.

But the point to retain is that motherboards are one of those high complaint components (as are GPUs) but even cpus have non-zero complaint levels. About 15 to 20% of buyers aren't happy with their mobos. The reason I opted for X470 and 2600X is my feeling that "pushing towards the high end" results in gear that is operating more on the edge of its specs. I have never proved this.

And in some cases the mediocre strategy is a total bust the RX 580 and RX 590 gpus set me back some real cash and never worked. Anyhow read the Newegg reviews maybe there will be some insight there. Maybe you have a good cpu and a lousy mobo or vice versa.

Greg N