Question Various BSOD's (IRQ, MEMORY etc.)

Aug 18, 2019
Hi all,

First time posting here, so hopefully I'll do things correctly. Lets create some context. Had an old computer, kept getting various BSODS at pretty random times. Most of the times it happened while booting the computer, so I thought - thats more than enough reason to just get new hardware and upgrade my computer. Hopefully that would help!
So this is what my new build is:
Code:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Wraith Boxed
Mobo:      ASRock B450M Pro4
RAM:       2x G.Skill Aegis F4-3000C16D-16GISB
Graph.card MSI GeForce RTX 2060 Ventus 6G OC
Power:     BitFenix Formula Gold 450W
SSD:       SAMSUNG 970 EVO SSD 1TB

Looks pretty decent right? Well, it didn't help a single bit. Or it actually made things worse. I'm still getting the various BSODS. But like, everyone of m it feels like. IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED , PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, and there are probably a few more of 'm. I tried installing W10 again from scratch. That was something special already because it didn't always finish installing because of interruptions and getting it done. But it eventually succeeded. Tried to update everything, drivers etc (atleast- windows update should do them all right? Have tried to run some external software but it seems fishy to me) and for my graphs card I tried both windows update as the GForce Experience program. It's telling me its up to date right now.

So I should cut to the chase I suppose. I have ran memtest86 and I got some errors in the hammer test (results are here). Clueless about what to do next with that. Internet is telling me that the probability of getting errors on the hammer test is pretty high and doesn't need to be a problem. Haven't ran them individually yet. Is this the first step I should take?

Second thing I've done, is run WhoCrashed. There are a lot more crashes, but not sure how I can show them. Refers to ntoskrnl.exe and ntkrnlmp.exe (copied the info to here). I've checked my logs of windows, at it tells me it has crashed 20 times since last week. All Kernel Power id 41 and the other thing 63.

CHKDSK is telling me all is fine.

Now my computer is just slow af, doesn't really update well (since I tried reïnstalling W10 again because I am clueless), lost quite a bit of speed and can't even run F1 2019 properly. So my question is, what do you guys/gals think the problem is, and what should I do next to try to get it back up again? Thanks in advance, and again- and if there is more information needed, I'll be here.

~Job

PS. I tried to upload the minidump file from C:/Windows/Minidump, but I'm getting told I have no access. No clue how I should avoid this?

Aug 18, 2019
Haven't changed anything in terms of speed for my RAM. So I guess that's just standard? My taskmanager tells me +/- 3.60GHz. I've done the 4 passes of memtest, it told me I couldn't run it any longer because of the free version. Went to work after I clicked start so I don't know how long that took. I'll check for my BIOS, will update in this post in a bit.

**update. My bios is up to date.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019
If you are trying to boot off of the old hard drive that was in the old PC then yes you will more than likely blue screen with the IRQ less or not equal. The OS is trying to load the drivers for the old PC and since its not there it will crash.

Did you use any hardware that was from the old pc? Memory? Sound card or Video card?

Aug 18, 2019
If you are trying to boot off of the old hard drive that was in the old PC then yes you will more than likely blue screen with the IRQ less or not equal. The OS is trying to load the drivers for the old PC and since its not there it will crash.

Did you use any hardware that was from the old pc? Memory? Sound card or Video card?

There is "some" old hardware still in it. Everything I didn't list in my opening post isn't upgraded. I've formatted all hard drives to make sure there were no other drivers/windows etc. that could conflict it, before reïnstalling windows. There might be something on my SSD now because of the faulty installations before. There is a map with windows.old on it (but it never had the "old windows" on it, because the SSD drive is the newest addition to it all. It didn't change the problems afaik.

Thanks for the swift replies. :)

Jan 9, 2019
The "Windows.old" is from you installing (Or attempting to) another windows over a previous windows install.

Try this.
Take out all the hardware that came from the old PC (except the SSD).
Start the Windows install
When it asks where to install windows go into advanced and delete all the listed partitions. !!!!This will erase all the data on all the connected drives!!!!!!!!
Highlight the "Un partitioned space" and the select "Create"
Take the default number it has for size.
This should reformat the drive and get a clean install of Windows.

The instructions above will delete all the data on the drives. Make sure you have backup if you need the data!

After windows is installed start plugging back the old hardware one by one.
Shutdown
Install hardware 1
Start the PC. Let windows install it and see if it blue screens.
Shutdown and install part 2
Bring it back up to see if it blue screens.
etc......

This will show you what part is bad if its completely out.
Hope this helps

Last edited:
RAM: 2x G.Skill Aegis F4-3000C16D-16GISB

Use of multiple kits of memory have no guarantee to be compatible together.

Question asked, "What speed are you trying to run the RAM?" Answer: Standard

Memory Specs:
Tested Speed 3000MHz
Tested Latency 16-18-18-38
Tested Voltage 1.35V

SPD Speed 2133MHz
SPD Voltage 1.20v

Memory runs at SPD (Serial Presence Detect) if you do nothing but leave memory on Auto.

Memory Configurations (see chart)
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/ryzen_5/2600
Having four of four memory slots populated lowers the supported memory speed.

I suggest you remove one of the memory kits and enable XMP in BIOS.

Aug 18, 2019
Alright. What I'm doing now is, that I've removed two older smaller SSD drivers, disconnected the CD-drive and the old HDD drive, ánd I removed 1 RAM stick (thats what you mean with kit right?).

I've enabled the XMP, and saved/exited. My computer rebooted a few times right away, as in, went off, went on for 2 secs, went off, went on for 2 secs and after 4 times it just booted. Is that normal?

Also, after it booted, I've just had the fastest windows install since evah. Worked smoothly, no BSOD's and I'm letting windows update everything now. Haven't installed anything yet (so I'm posting from Edge, go figure) and waiting for every update to hit.

What do you guys think is the best way to get all drivers up to date? I've heard bad things about gForce Experience..

Also, after every update hit, the next step is inserting the second memory kit I presume?

Thanks guys, you're helping me.

PS. Was clueless about XMP stuff. Just read about it and it seems normal to just enable it. Isn't even overclocking right? Why is it a thing to have SPD? Also,
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/ryzen_5/2600
Having four of four memory slots populated lowers the supported memory speed.
was a bit out of context for me. What should I have learnt from that? I don't get it yet. :)