Various DDR4 Kits Listed For Preorder At Overclockers UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

dovah-chan

Honorable
I don't see DDR4 being an exceptionally useful asset for the high end X99 platform, but instead on memory hungry platforms such as FM2+ where the APUs rely heavily on the RAM speed. This is where it will really shine. Hopefully we'll one day see another samsung green era.

I don't see DDR4 being an exceptionally useful asset for the high end X99 platform, but instead on memory hungry platforms such as FM2+ where the APUs rely heavily on the RAM speed. This is where it will really shine. Hopefully we'll one day see another samsung green era.

I suppose it will come down to if you need capacity or if you need a decent balance of cas latency to clock speeds.

2400mhz is cool and all but at a CL16 its just...

ianj14

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
The GBP likely contains VAT @ 20%. So the GBP price needs to be reduced first (x 0.8333) before doing the Dollar conversion. So GBP 239.99 = 199.99, then convert to Dollars @ today's rate of 1.66 = abt USD 120.00

InvalidError

Titan

14 years ago, I paid $300 for 256MB of PC133 SDR-DRAM. Two years ago, I bought 32GB DDR3-1600 for $180 since I knew those prices were unsustainable and had to go back up before DRAM manufacturers went bankrupt... and up they went after Elpida's bankruptcy. This seems to be a recurring pattern with DRAM manufacturers: periods of decent profits separated by periods of losses, bankruptcies and mergers.

There is a recurring pattern with new memory standards too:
1- when a new standard is introduced in the consumer market, it starts at about twice the price of the current standard
2- about a year later, the two standards reach price parity
3- another year or two later, the old standard becomes roughly twice as expensive as the new one

dovah-chan

Honorable
I always connected the RAM prices soaring with the fire at Hynix last year. I guess there were other factors as well. Maybe the SSD market will soon end up in a similar position when it comes to NAND.

InvalidError

Titan

It is not. Maybe next year.

But two or three years from now, you simply won't have the choice anymore anyway.

Transitions between DRAM standards always take 2-3 years.

dovah-chan

Honorable

I thought tom's and other sites didn't allow vulgar language :eek: there isn't a filter here?

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
uuuggh, and RAM was actually pretty cheap not to long ago. I got lucky as fuck, I built my first system in holiday times 2012, I got G.Skill ripjaws 8GB 1600MHz RAM for 25$ with free shipping from newegg. Now the exact same kit is around $60-$70.....

Edit: .....just kidding, it's $80 now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314
i built mine in 2012 too... got 16gb for 65...now it goes for ~150!

There is a recurring pattern with new memory standards too:
1- when a new standard is introduced in the consumer market, it starts at about twice the price of the current standard
2- about a year later, the two standards reach price parity
3- another year or two later, the old standard becomes roughly twice as expensive as the new one

And that is exactly why I jumped on low prices of DDR2 and DDR3 memory for both my desktops and laptops over the years. I've still got six memory kits of various types and speeds unopened. The others I either sold for a nice profit or finally upgraded older laptops and desktops with.

Steve Simons

Honorable
May 31, 2014
Can't wait to try to win a system with system builder marathon at this point. That's the only way I'll get my hands on that kind of memory until prices drop dramatically.

f-14

Distinguished
meh. DDR4 has been listed on newegg and microcenter for the past 2 months now. as far as "Speeds will range from 2400 MHz to 3000 MHz" there is already DDR3 memory of that speed out and my maximus Vl formula is handling it just fine so far. X99 is over a year late and alot of dollars short. the only reason worth going to the 2011 socket is for the 40 lanes of PCIe bandwidth.
intels price penalty is not worth it until programs are made to run on 4 cores or more and fully saturate more than 16 lanes of PCIe to run SLI or Xfire at a full 36x.

Status
Not open for further replies.