###Troubleshooting Help:

What is your parts list?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
GPU: GeForce RTX 2060 Super
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB
PSU: 600W Gold
Storage: Crucial 1TB SSD

Describe your problem. List any error messages and symptoms. Be descriptive.

Many games will crash to desktop (not crash whole PC) while playing. Timing varies based on the game, some games I'm able to play for up to 30 minutes, others crash at main menus. Multiple games have returned "D3D Device" errors, application hung errors, or DirectX errors.

Games that crash: CoD Warzone (Error 6068, DirectX error), Rogue Company (D3D Device, HUNG), Fortnite (D3D Device, HUNG), R6 Siege, Warframe, Spellbreak, and I'm probably forgetting a few others I've tried.

Games that WORK: Valorant, Overwatch, World of Warcraft, NBA 2K20, Fall Guys, Smite, Remnant From the Ashes, the Cycle, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few others.

List anything you've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem.

• Windows 10 updated to latest version
  • DDU to clean uninstall and reinstall my NVIDIA drivers
  • Lowering 3D options within NVIDIA control panel
  • Reinstalling the games
  • Starting games with W10 Security disabled
  • Slightly underclocking my GPU
  • Removing programs that could control clocks (ASUS Tweak / MSI Afterburner)
  • Changed RAM Sticks
  • Upgraded PSU
  • Rolled back drivers
  • Disabled RAM XMP
  • Restored BIOS to default
  • Added TlrDelay
  • Have monitored temps in game, GPU peaked at 75 degrees before crash

Provide any additional details you wish below.

Any advice or other solutions would be appreciated. Feels like I've exhausted a lot of options and still no solution. Not sure what else I can do, aside from buying a new GPU? Fully wiping clean Windows and the Computer?

Please help - I'm going crazy!

when you built this PC did you use the storage drive with the OS from another PC? either way I would definitely perform a clean install of win 10 before swapping parts. after you do that restore all BIOS settings to default and reinstall your games and GPU/chipset drivers

Nov 5, 2020
when you built this PC did you use the storage drive with the OS from another PC? either way I would definitely perform a clean install of win 10 before swapping parts. after you do that restore all BIOS settings to default and reinstall your games and GPU/chipset drivers
When I built it this past summer, it was with all brand new parts. Would a clean install of W10 wipe everything clean? Just so I know if I need to make backups of some of my files.

Thanks!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
When I built it this past summer, it was with all brand new parts. Would a clean install of W10 wipe everything clean? Just so I know if I need to make backups of some of my files.

Thanks!

You ought to already have backups of your important files at any and all times. Preferably multiple backups.

Your OS drive, assuming it was new when you got it, how did you install Windows? Did you always have problems?

What was the PSU you had and the PSU you upgraded to? Be precise. You have a _(brand)__ __(model)__ PSU, not just an efficiency rating and a claimed output.

Reactions: norcalsc
Nov 5, 2020
Not 100% sure what you're looking for by how did you install windows, but to install Windows, I downloaded it from Microsoft's site onto USB then plugged it in on initial boot of new computer. The product key I got from Microsoft Azure using my university credentials, it is the Education edition. The problem with specific games crashing has existed since the computer was first built, around late July.

I had an EVGA 600 BR (I believe the model name is that). Now I have a Corsair TX550M.

Please let me know what further information or clarification I can provide - appreciate the help.

Not 100% sure what you're looking for by how did you install windows, but to install Windows, I downloaded it from Microsoft's site onto USB then plugged it in on initial boot of new computer. The product key I got from Microsoft Azure using my university credentials, it is the Education edition. The problem with specific games crashing has existed since the computer was first built, around late July.

I had an EVGA 600 BR (I believe the model name is that). Now I have a Corsair TX550M.

Please let me know what further information or clarification I can provide - appreciate the help.
definitely, backup important files performing any work

based on what you posted it seems you have done everything correctly up till now. so in order to get down to the bottom of it, I would try to isolate the issue (obviously). first, before swapping parts I would again start with a clean slate and see if it's a software problem first. create another USB win 10 media installer and do it again...

simplify your system if possible e.g. CPU, MB, GPU, RAM, PSU and primary storage drive only where OS will be.

things to perform:
clean win 10 install
update MB BIOS
install chipset and GPU drivers
install games and test to see if crashing is still occurring and if yes it will be time to start swapping parts

Nov 5, 2020
Have you figured it out? I have the same problem at the moment - I don't receive any messages though when my games crashes.

Yes - I tried replacing my 2060 Super with a RX 580 and that completely solved the crashing leading me to believe I had gotten a faulty card. From there, I went through EVGA's RMA process and got a new 2060 Super sent back. Since using the new 2060 Super I haven't had a crash since.

If you have access to another card I'd try that (I had to purchase the RX 580 from MicroCenter). However, for your case mine pretty much always gave me some kind of error when the crashes occurred so I think it could be different for you, but if you have a cost free way to try replacing the GPU, I'd recommend that.

TRENDING THREADS